Turn on thread page Beta

Hair Loss / Thinning watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an 18 year old female and have been experiencing hair loss for nearly 5 months now. I have no bald patches but the thickness of my hair has reduced a lot. It started when i was in the middle of my a level exams, could it be stress related? I have been to the doctors twice and had thyroid, hormone and iron tests which have come back fine. I started using minoxodil / rogaine , and used it for about 3 months but had to stop because it was making my scalp reallly really itchy and dry. It's seriously starting to get to me now . Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any products that i could try?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, i lost a lot of hair during anorexia and it was due to just not enough calories.
    Do you eat enough?

ReputationRep:
    Eat more healthy and exercise more

I think it helps

ReputationRep:
    Yes i have a healthy diet and i exercise. Can anyone else help?

ReputationRep:
    If its stress related then it will grow back...get it checked out though, it may be another issue i.e hormonal

You probably have Alopecia. Get help, but it's not serious.

Do you get enough sleep? 8 hours a night.

ReputationRep:
    Biotin supplements could help, as well as other B Vitamins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquorice18)
    I am an 18 year old female and have been experiencing hair loss for nearly 5 months now. I have no bald patches but the thickness of my hair has reduced a lot. It started when i was in the middle of my a level exams, could it be stress related? I have been to the doctors twice and had thyroid, hormone and iron tests which have come back fine. I started using minoxodil / rogaine , and used it for about 3 months but had to stop because it was making my scalp reallly really itchy and dry. It's seriously starting to get to me now . Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any products that i could try?
    i have the same problem, my hair's very thin and dry and you can even see my scalp at times, it use to be really thick when i was younger but now its not and partially it's my fault.. i straigten my hair practically everyday but i don't know whether thats the real reason, i have friends that straighten their hair everyday and there hairs alright.. or myabe it's because i wash it too often, i wash it every other day.. i personally don't think thats too often but thats what others haves said to me and if i don't wash it every other day it gets really greasy and disgusting.. theres nothing i can really do about it..
    do you wash and straighten ur hair often?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lagoom)
    i have the same problem, my hair's very thin and dry and you can even see my scalp at times, it use to be really thick when i was younger but now its not and partially it's my fault.. i straigten my hair practically everyday but i don't know whether thats the real reason, i have friends that straighten their hair everyday and there hairs alright.. or myabe it's because i wash it too often, i wash it every other day.. i personally don't think thats too often but thats what others haves said to me and if i don't wash it every other day it gets really greasy and disgusting.. theres nothing i can really do about it..
    do you wash and straighten ur hair often?
    awww, it's horrible isnt it.
    I used to straighten my hair every day but since i started noticing it falling out i've hardly straightened it and i wear it up everyday instead of down like i used to.
    Are you sure your hair is coming out from the root? Mine is, but maybe yours is so damaged that it is breaking off?
    I wash my hair every other day like you and thats when i notice it coming out more

ReputationRep:
    Hehh! We should make a club - I think I have the same problem :/ Mine is mostly around my hairline though - it's starting to look like some sort of backwards widow's peak. I also have it a little at the sides although they don't seem as bad now - new hair has started to grow in but it is very wispy. It's not very noticable (yet) but noticable enough to worry me!

I wash my hair every day (I have to) and I straighten it when I'm going somewhere. So I'm probably not too kind to my hair XD but there are many others who do the same yet don't have this problem. Generally I have quite thick hair, my scalp is in such a sorry state just now too - it's so dry. I get handfuls of hair coming out whenever I wash it or style it, of course we all lose hair everyday but even my mum gets on at me for finding my hair absolutely everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquorice18)
    i had it quite badly in my first yr at uni - the WORST possible time! it can be due to loads of things - irons levels (but you said yours are fine), a poor diet (need them greens and 5 a days!!), lack of exercise... have you tried taking multi-vitamins? and STRESS is a major factor - i always notice around exam time my hairs falling out, but its nice to know when exams are over and you find out you've done ok, its all growing back!!

also it can be genetic - but if its not a problem thats ever affected any of the females in your family (mum, mums sister, dads sister, gran, nan, cousin etc) then i guess thats ruled out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zafda)
    also it can be genetic - but if its not a problem thats ever affected any of the females in your family (mum, mums sister, dads sister, gran, nan, cousin etc) then i guess thats ruled out.

ooo yes i forgot to mention no one in my family is balding so i don't think it could be genetic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.