Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently purchased an extra 2GB of RAM to bring my desktop up to 3GB.

I did some research beforehand and according to the motherboard and chipset specs I should be able to put up to 4GB in there.

The setup before the upgrade was a 1GB module in one slot, and a 512MB one in the other. This worked fine. If I put just the new 2GB component in on its own, the system boots without problems. If I combine it with any of the others, the BIOS tests 2GB of memory only, and Windows then fails to boot. Thinking that there could be a BIOS issue, I flashed a more up to date one but to no avail.

Here is the motherboard spec: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...neymoon_imedia

The specifications of the memory components I have on hand are:

2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 unbuffered non-ECC
    512MB DDR2 PC2-4200 unbuffered non-ECC
    1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 unbuffered non-ECC

Would putting in memory modules with different speeds (as I'm doing) cause problems? Unless I'm missing something else it seems the most likely issue. Seeing as RAM is so cheap at the moment I'm happy to buy another 2GB to match my current one but I would like to know if it's going to work first!

ReputationRep:
    Yes the problem is the different memory speeds. Idealy you want to be use the same make and model for all your memory, you shouldnt have a problem buying another 2gb though not all of it will show up if your running a 32bit operating system. you will probably get somewhere between 3.25-3.5gb in windows.

ReputationRep:
    I'd've thought your motherboard would have slowed down the new memory to match the others and run it happily. Apparently not! :eek:

I'd probably go with more memory though. Only get 1GB if you're running an x86 OS though.

ReputationRep:
    The different memory speeds should not cause an issue as the board should be able to clock the RAM at the slowest speeds.What you could try would be to stick in one of the modules and manually set the RAM divider in the BIOS to match the speed of the slowest modules , then try running the board with both in.

Odd you're saying only the first 2GB of RAM seems to be detected in POST - the only other thing I can think is that the board may not be capable of handling 2GB DDR2 modules correctly as it's quite an old board.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

It is quite an old board but seeing as it recognises the 2GB memory module on its own I doubt it is incompatible with 2GB modules. I don't think the BIOS allows me to change RAM settings either. I will do some testing and research to see if I can find anything else out.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.