Parents earn too much for grant/loan, how much should they be giving for an allowance Watch

marybella
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I would like to know what most people get as financial support from their families. Mine are going to reduce mine. Last year was easy as they paid student accomodation direct. This year I am sharing and don't know how much utilities will be on top of £235 rent. I am starting to worry about this, help.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My rent is paid for me, I have the maintenence loan to spend, no grants. I also have a job.

Talk to your family and ask how much they can help you with, then budget from there.
dhokes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by marybella)
I would like to know what most people get as financial support from their families. Mine are going to reduce mine. Last year was easy as they paid student accomodation direct. This year I am sharing and don't know how much utilities will be on top of £235 rent. I am starting to worry about this, help.
I didn't receive anything directly. Work out your costs approx and then use that figure to calculate your "allowance".
goodtogallop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my parents paid the 25% of the loan that the SLC didnt give me
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even though I get the full loan and grants, I don't need it all, seeing as my rent is £50/week, and I don't spend much on food...
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my parents brought a flat for me, so i pay the mortgage, and all the bills. Other than that i send them money if they need it, so really i dont get any support as money given to me. I get through uni on my basic loan and savings.
webyfell
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Eww £235 rent. You must be living in a right dump.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Arn't utilities paid on a quarerly or half yearly basis? Or can it be doen monthly?

Mine are paying for fees and my food. They paid off the accomodation, just have to wait for the loan to come through to pay them back, yay for hard working parents that save well :yes:
marybella
(Original post by webyfell)
The house is fine. Have a sitting room and a dining room. Most landlords would have converted these to bedrooms. My parents will cough up I know. I would like to just be fair with them, we have had a few talks about the difference of spending income or capital.
chris-carnage
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What happens when your parents earn to much but won't help you? My dad doesn't want me to go to uni =[ so won't give me help. (I'm applying for medicine, 5 years of loans!!!)
marybella
(Original post by webyfell)
The house is fine. Have a sitting room and a dining room. Most landlords would have converted these to bedrooms. My parents will cough up I know. I would like to just be fair with them, we have had a few talks about the difference of spending income or capital.
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chris-carnage)
What happens when your parents earn to much but won't help you? My dad doesn't want me to go to uni =[ so won't give me help. (I'm applying for medicine, 5 years of loans!!!)
That is when things get hard. If you can only get a basic loan because of household income but parents won't help out then you will struggle financially unless you can work and save like mad now.

Why doesn't your dad want you to do medicine? Sounds like a fine career choice to me
chris-carnage
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ASCIIcipher)
Why doesn't your dad want you to do medicine? Sounds like a fine career choice to me
Ugh Don't get me started on him.... Anyway, I can't save like mad =[ I'm still in school, finding it impossible to get a part-time job. Oh dear...
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got £250 a month and like you got the minimum loan and no grant. It worked out that my parents covered my rent only in installements. Granted they had my car loan and insurance to pay on top of that
samiz20891
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a similar problem but I am doing BSc Economics(1st year undergraduate) and my parents earn too much for me to get anything but a basic loan and want me to be independent. So that means that i have 3000 pounds for accomodation/food/books/going out etc... luckily from working at a younger age and saving up and investments i have been able to pay for my accommodation already.. as well as living in a shared room too. But i mean books are so expensive and all that goes with uni and i budgetting very tightly.

Everything that you can save will be very important so do so as it will be beneficial and look for jobs.... very difficult... i know it is.

Good luck, hope this helps.
marybella
Ugh Don't get me started on him.... Anyway, I can't save like mad =[ I'm still in school, finding it impossible to get a part-time job. Oh dear...
Working and doing A-levels is not a good idea. Just try for a summer job and save like mad. Your dad must be the only one who doesn't want a med student son/daughter. My parents would be chuffed if I had done anything sciency or engineering. Hey Ho history is in my genes, three grandparents did history.
Spinnerette
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum don't earn enough to even help me financially. My dad.. well I'm not in contact with him. My grandma is helping me out and my grancher was very generous in paying for my course this year (1,400 + GCSE maths on top which is £250) I do worry that they'll die before I'll ever be able to repay them for their help. I have an ALG and I get a small amount. I live in a high unemployment area so my attempt at getting a job is quite depressing because there's so many applicants for even cleaning jobs.

I'll see what I get when I apply again to Student Finance for my degree in a few months time.
sandettielightvessel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
my parents brought a flat for me
Where did they bring it from ?

(Original post by dhr90)
Arn't utilities paid on a quarerly or half yearly basis? Or can it be doen monthly?
Traditionally, quarterly. However a lot of them now take monthly direct debit payments as well.
kpwxx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP if your parents can afford it, ask them to pay rent and say 15 per week for utilities or similar... I think it usually averages around there. Or if you'd prefer ask them to pay something else more definite or immediate like a lump sum, bus pass, books? Similar.

My friend was in a very similar situation, her mum is basically a ***** (and she would agree with me) and didn't want her to go to uni because it would mean she would be more successful than her mum. She wanted to do a maths degree. She handled it by have three jobs at one point (paper round, saturday waitress, sainsburys) and saving like crazy. She dropped the paper round to give to her brother in sixth form and the waitress when she turned 18. So that's all I can advise really, although I agree that getting a job with no experience at our age can prove impossible at certain times. I mean, this won't help too much, but have you considered odd jobs for people like helping old people with their post, cleaning windows, painting fences etc etc? Or avon/betterware/kleeneze books... they always seem to want those.

For the record my friend didn't go to uni in the end, she got a job at an accountants with her a-levels. Which was nice.
And the work didn't seem to damage her grades at all, she got AAAC methinks. But she is good at that 'balancing your time' stuff.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.47%
No (1472)
85.53%

Watched Threads