Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, for whatever reason, anything we need to plug into our accomodation sockets, needs to be PAT tested.

And this week and next, from Mon - Thu we were supposed to be able to have our stuff tested.

However I went to the Operon office in Stafford tower today, to book an appointment, but it turns out that due to lack of demand, they no longer have any technicians on site.

Does this mean we don't need to have the P.A.T test done? Or will we have to pay the £2.50 per item rip off to have someone come to our rooms and test the stuff?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can get away without having it done.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thats good, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT UK)
    Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, for whatever reason, anything we need to plug into our accomodation sockets, needs to be PAT tested.

And this week and next, from Mon - Thu we were supposed to be able to have our stuff tested.

However I went to the Operon office in Stafford tower today, to book an appointment, but it turns out that due to lack of demand, they no longer have any technicians on site.

Does this mean we don't need to have the P.A.T test done? Or will we have to pay the £2.50 per item rip off to have someone come to our rooms and test the stuff?

Thanks.
    i overheard a technician telling a student getting PAT tested, that they carry out random searches of rooms to check for appliances which havent been PAT tested as they record if you have had PAT testing so im guessing that they are unlikely to be searched as they coughed up some money already.

i went to find a technician to ask about the cost of it but i was unable to find one so i presume that PAT testing has ceased so they can get more money from doing random room searches

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    How likely is it that someone will check your room and what happens if they find an untested item? Also if they find an item that is not tested but is not plugged in at the time will they still say something of it?

ReputationRep:
    Its funny cause i got my stuff 'tested'. I had 4 items and he literally just put a stick on my tv without looking at it. I think you just pay for the sticker tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to buy these stickers and fill them in yourself? As long as you know they're safe and they're not damaged and are new surely it's ok?

ReputationRep:
    They didn't check last year, I don't know ANYONE that got fined for not having it done... Even Rasheeda doesn't care and that's saying something!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, they never checked the stuff in your rooms last year. For the room inspections the woman literally just looked inside the door and left again.

ReputationRep:
    After the whimsical farce that was their PAT testing last year, I'm amazed they've even suggested that it should be done this year :p:

^that's not an overstatement btw. Last year I queued for 3 and a half hours to have my stuff PAT tested, and all they did was throw away anything that didn't have a fuse (which amounted to my camera charger). Because of the queues they kept telling people who didn't want to queue that they could book an appointment for Operon to visit them and do the testing, but from my understanding they didn't actually bother doing any testing.

ReputationRep:
    Was an epic failiure last year, which resulted in a LOT of hair straighteners and rice cookers being destroyed by Operon.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take my lamp with me because I was scared they might cut the wire

ReputationRep:
    I had my stuff tested today and it took less than 10 minutes and the guy was really nice! No fuss whatsoever.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.