The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ramroff
Has anyone tried going on holiday by themselves? I'm asking the under 18s here because above that age a solo holiday isn't unusual!
Whos done it, did you enjoy it, where did you go and what did you do?

Im goin to Doha by my self for 2 days on the 28th, then to the US for a month....

Anything away from this hell HOLE!!!
why the hell do you want to go on holiday alone?!
i'd be to worried to get in a plane by myself :frown: :redface:
Reply 4
well we're going on holiday as a family as per usual, but well i want to go to New Zealand and my parents aren't that interested in that as they've been many times, so I was thinking of going it alone?

No one has tried?
Reply 5
I went to Reading fiestival on my own!
Reply 6
ive never been on holiday on my own but i magine that it would b pretty boring and scary...the upside would be that you can do what u like and dont have 2 worry about making sure the people ur with want to do it 2
I've been to Canada alone.

It was really good actually,I could do what I wanted when I wanted and didn't have anyone nagging me to tidy up my hotel room(my travel companions always complain about the mess I make!) and it meant I had a good time!

I went to Toronto and went shopping mostly,had a look at a few tourist things I hadn't seen before(I had visited before)...

I'm 18...I went in March on this trip.

I'd recommend it.I'd love to get away to a hot place alone but alas,I'm going with my family this year!
Reply 8
sparklyglitter
I've been to Canada alone.

It was really good actually,I could do what I wanted when I wanted and didn't have anyone nagging me to tidy up my hotel room(my travel companions always complain about the mess I make!) and it meant I had a good time!

I went to Toronto and went shopping mostly,had a look at a few tourist things I hadn't seen before(I had visited before)...

I'm 18...I went in March on this trip.

I'd recommend it.I'd love to get away to a hot place alone but alas,I'm going with my family this year!

how long did you go for? did it feel boring at all? weren't you a little scared at first?
Juno
I went to Reading fiestival on my own!

:eek: i could never do that :eek:
I wasn't really scared as I have travelled alone a lot.I went for 5 nights.I didn't really get bored...I spent pretty much 8-10 hours a day out and by the time I'd ordered my room service dinner and washed my hair it was time for bed etc.

I only got scared at immigration when they accused me of smuggling drugs and searched my suitcases and on the plane home when the turbulence was really bad!Apart from that I was fine.
I've never travelled alone but I imagine travelling alone is as dangerous as travelling with other people. As long as you're aware of your surroundings and etc. you should be fine.

That American girl, Natalee Holloway was on a high school graduation trip
Reply 12
ramroff
well we're going on holiday as a family as per usual, but well i want to go to New Zealand and my parents aren't that interested in that as they've been many times, so I was thinking of going it alone?

No one has tried?

I dont see what the big deal would be,,,,,,,as long as u have fun :smile:
Reply 13
If you're going to NZ you'll meet loads of travellers who'll have started out on their own too. I'm planning to do a RTW tour alone starting in Nov...obviously you meet people! How long are you going for?
Reply 14
Butterfly
If you're going to NZ you'll meet loads of travellers who'll have started out on their own too. I'm planning to do a RTW tour alone starting in Nov...obviously you meet people! How long are you going for?

i dunno if i'll go yet but if i do go it will probably be for 2 weeks. an adventure holiday in that place on the South Island i can't believe i just forgot the name.
ramroff

No one has tried?

That's such a long way! I'd suggest getting together with friends or finding a group to go with. Otherwise it'd get so lonely.

How old are you?

Also my parents would never ever let me go that far on my own.
Reply 16
thefish_uk
That's such a long way! I'd suggest getting together with friends or finding a group to go with. Otherwise it'd get so lonely.

How old are you?

Also my parents would never ever let me go that far on my own.

17. I've only just thought about it today, and I've never been travelling on my own so thats why i came here to ask.
Maybe i could see if any of my mates are interested? although most of them have already planned their summer
Reply 17
I went on my own, but it was a challenge type thingamy run by an organisation which is kinda different. Did have to fly on my own though, not as bad as everyone makes out! I don't see why you shouldn't, loads of ppl go on gap years alone!
Reply 18
Apart from numerous exchanges/living with another family, I spent a week in February on my own in Berlin? Basically walking around, looking at a few galleries, Reichstag yada yada. I basically went there to practise my German, and it's not as bad as you might think... going solo. For a start, you'll much more willing to be talkative to other people (unless you want to be lonely, I'd advise hostelling), and there's mroe time to do things you want to do.
Reply 19
I wouldn't go to the cinema or a restaurant alone let alone on holiday. I've been on a plane alone a million times and its great do what you want in the airport and no parents or family nagging, but a hol i think would be very lonely and quite honestly boring, and maybe even scary

Latest

Trending

Trending