Turn on thread page Beta

Aaargh - Someone explain to me what I need to get a new numberplate made watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last time I bought a numberplate I just got it off eBay but now I find some legislation has stopped this!!

I need a new plate made for my motorbike, how can I get one now?!

ReputationRep:
    you need the V5c for the vehicle and possibly some ID for yourself, any decent motor factor or dealer will either be able to do one for you or point you in the direction of who does theirs

ReputationRep:
    I went to lambas in surrey, and just needed and log book and ID to make sure who i was, i tried to get fred to do it, but it had to be the owner

ReputationRep:
    So, say, the motorbike dealer I got my bike from should do it?

That means I won't be able to ride my bikeys for a few days

ReputationRep:
    why do you need another one, won't it cross over? or do you need to drill new holes in it?

Do you have a drill? as a temporary measure

ReputationRep:
    i just got mine from a car shop/parts shop, and they did it while i waited.
    i needed the V5 doc, and ID, to prove i owned the car.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be bothered to take my documents so I just went to a autoparts shop and they made me sign a disclaimer that I was using them as showplates and let me have whatever I want.

ReputationRep:
    Halfords do them, tells you what you need on the website:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...=173049#Link01

ReputationRep:
    you should only need the V5, some places will ask for id in the form of a driving licence or insurance certificate. they're still gettable online that said, but to be 'legal', as well as the font they must have the manufacturer's post code etc.

be wary of the halfrauds ones, the one I got bubbles and was poorly finished (more to do with the guy being in a rush to laminate it)

ReputationRep:
    Halfords managed to get a letter wrong on a numberplate they made up for me, and thats simply copying it across from the V5.. :rolleyes:
    Do have to wonder about if all the jokes about halfords staff are actually founded in truth.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    Halfords managed to get a letter wrong on a numberplate they made up for me, and thats simply copying it across from the V5.. :rolleyes:
    Do have to wonder about if all the jokes about halfords staff are actually founded in truth.. :p:
    They did that to me too! I went to get a plate made up for my trailer and at the time I was living somewhere very remote so was forced to use halfrauds.

He handed me the plate, I looked at it and handed the plate and the V5 back to him and said "Try again". His face was a picture! lol.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt bloody check it until I went to put it on the car.. i just assumed they could get the plate right!
    They didnt seem that surprised or shocked when I went back and was a little miffed with them lol.

Good old halfrauds..

ReputationRep:
    Guess what? Another letter wrong here too. This sample shows halfords have a 100% error rate...

ReputationRep:
    haha. epic fail!
    TSR says no to halfords numberplates!

ReputationRep:
    I'll stick up for Halfords and say that the numberplate I got made up was fine :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I'll stick up for Halfords and say that the numberplate I got made up was fine :p:

you must be a halfords spy then.

muhaha.

ReputationRep:
    I just risked it and whizzed down to my local bike dealer wearing no plate on the off chance they print them, which they did. I only had my V5 thing with me. You will be suprised how many places do them but dont advertise it!

Richard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    you must be a halfords spy then.

muhaha.
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    and me they get made up quickly while you wait, at the end of the day a number plates a number plate!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 25, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.