Turn on thread page Beta

Are my subjects good enough to get into a top uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my AS exams and I have droped History because I don't think I've done as well as I had expected. Anyway I am keeping Business Studies, ICT and Classics to do for A2. Do u think these subjects are good enough to get in to unis such as Manchester, Aston, Birmingham etc if I get the grades. I want to do Business Management at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ok ignoring evil-features...
    Sorry we just get VERY sick of people posting am-i-good-enough threads
    Your subjects don't matter
    It's the GRADES
    What do you want to study anyway?

Edit: Just reread :blush:

ReputationRep:
    Well to be frank, you have picked what people would call soft options. However this still doesn't mean it will be easy to get top grades A/B, which you'll need to get into a decent buisiness course. Most demand BBB or higher for top 20 unis and the first thing they'll look at is your grades. To be honost if you find these subjects easier than more taxing subjects like history I'd stick with your choices especially if you enjoy them, they're a good spread, you've got a written (classics), scienceish (IT) and humanities (Buisiness) subject. Good luck with your uni options.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should prob be fine, especially if you want to do business management. You do business studies and ICT, what else are they gonna want from you?

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects are good for a top uni, no need to worry. If you get the grades, your place will be guarenteed. Those uni's don't have a specific subject for business management I think, so you should be alright. Uni's are quite happy that you study business at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I think LSE are the only university that specify you can only do one 'mickey mouse' subject, so for the rest you should be fine as long as you get the right grades, especially as business studies and ICT are relevant to what you want to study. There's no point worrying about it now anyway as you can't change it, so just concentrate on doing as well as you can. If you're really worried, phone/email the admissions tutors at the universities you're interested in and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Except for a select few (LSE, oxbridge), in general, universities dont care that much about your subjects. If they dont specify they want a particular subject, they cant really judge your any differently to someone that is doing traditional subjects.
    My friend has accepted an offer to study law at The university of nottingham, and he is doing business studies, media, and ICT! I was shocked, but he said he did well on that special law entry exam.
    But if you plan to apply for law or economics at a top 5 university, you will probably increase your chances if you do 1 or 2 traditional subjects (english, history, maths, any science, geography etc)

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait till you get your results before making final decisions on what to drop-a lot of the time you can do a lot better then you'll expect. (I say this as someone who's often got As on my "worst exam EVER"- and the other way round as well!)

And for Manchester, Brum, etc, I can't imagine them having a big problem with your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Aston offered me BBC with Communication Studies and Media Studies..............You'll have no worries!

But I am going there to do German and need a B in that!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, Business Studies and ICT are completely relevant and so are good for the course regardless of where you choose.
    Admittedly, choosing Economics might have given your application greater weight with some of the more snobbish institutions, but if they're that snobbish, they'll be impressed by Classics - whch isn't as 'mickey mousy' as everyone presumes.
    More importantly, it's the grades and the personal statement that really puts candidates apart. If you are looking at a good university where they expect straight A's from all applicants, these can be the only differing factors between candidates and thus carries far more importance than your A level choices.

ReputationRep:
    well, to be honest, business studies and ICT are the only mickey mouse ones on there (not as mickey mousey as something like media studies - no offence to anyone on here who does that subject). history and classics are certainly very challenging subjects, and classics is unusual, so it should add some weight to your application. you have a good range of subjects at AS - a classical language, a humanties subject, technology, and something businessey - so you've shown yourself to be well-rounded. but the main point is, that the subjects you've chosen are relevant for your chosen course.

and ignore cinderella1288's comments. i'm sure she was just being sarcastic. there are a lot of threads on here (and i myself am guilty of this ) where people with nothing to worry about and perfectly good applications are worried that they aren't good enough - and you are one of the ones who i'm sure has nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    scienceish (IT)
    Sorry but ICT is nothing like a science. I 'studied' ICT and found that I didn't learn anything, it only involved using the tedious Microsoft Office package to produce vast amounts of coursework as well as 2 patronising exams that I find difficult to believe were supposedly pitched at A-Level students. They don't even try to teach people to use things like tex, programming or indeed anything other than MS Office.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be ok with those subjects to entry those unis... but Maths would have helped!

ReputationRep:
    No offence but I don't think ICT counts for anything anywhere...
    Whereas history is one of the most respected subjects I can think of (I'm not biased, I gave it up when I was 14, I hated it but nevertheless I think it's an admirable subject for people who do do it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Sorry but ICT is nothing like a science. I 'studied' ICT and found that I didn't learn anything, it only involved using the tedious Microsoft Office package to produce vast amounts of coursework as well as 2 patronising exams that I find difficult to believe were supposedly pitched at A-Level students. They don't even try to teach people to use things like tex, programming or indeed anything other than MS Office.
    I completely agree with you on that! Compared to my other two subjects ICT is nothing. Some people could probably do the whole course within a week or two if they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris87)
    I completely agree with you on that! Compared to my other two subjects ICT is nothing. Some people could probably do the whole course within a week or two if they wanted to.
    Learning the 4 units and doing the 2 units in a week? :eek: That would be difficult. I would say 1 month to do the whole course would be reasonable. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Learning the 4 units and doing the 2 units in a week? :eek: That would be difficult. I would say 1 month to do the whole course would be reasonable. :p:
    Sure, I accept if your knowledge of ICT isn't of a great depth it might take you a bit longer but for those of us who have already created websites before and know how to use Excel and Word it should be quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris87)
    Sure, I accept if your knowledge of ICT isn't of a great depth it might take you a bit longer but for those of us who have already created websites before and know how to use Excel and Word it should be quite easy.
    I know how to create websites and know how to use Excel and Word. :p: The theory in A-level ICT should be alright I guess. If you do A-level computing (like me), you would take a long time to learn it, as some parts are difficult. I only done an AVCE ICT not the A-level one by the way.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Cambridge and he does sociology, phychology, geography, art and biology...ok maybe biology is not 'easy' but most of those are considered 'easy' or 'mickey mouse' whatever i hate those phrases anyway my point...the subject doesn't matter, the grades do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I know how to create websites and know how to use Excel and Word. :p: The theory in A-level ICT should be alright I guess. If you do A-level computing (like me), you would take a long time to learn it, as some parts are difficult. I only done an AVCE ICT not the A-level one by the way.
    Trev, for AS computing you make your own program for coursework right? Well the computing and ICT teacher said that if we want we could make hacking program, i mean wtf, you have to test these programs etc. Could you enlighten me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.