Turn on thread page Beta

Are my subjects good enough to get into a top uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I know how to create websites and know how to use Excel and Word. :p: The theory in A-level ICT should be alright I guess. If you do A-level computing (like me), you would take a long time to learn it, as some parts are difficult. I only done an AVCE ICT not the A-level one by the way.
    Slightly off topic: What sort of things do you do in A-level Computing?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have anything to worry about Business and ICT are closely-linked to the course you want to do, and Classics is a difficult subject IMO, which should be taken seriously. If you get good grades, you could probably get in anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    You've taken what some people call mickey mouse subjects - not to say they *are* mickey mouse but you know what I mean.

And yes it's all about your grades. Get straight A's and a lot of unis will take you.

And Aston is a "new" university isn't it? If you're going by Uni reputation, I wouldn't say Aston was particularly good. Although if you're going for Buisness Management rankings, I think Aston ranks 3rd? - for some buisness course anyway - it's meant to be good. My friend's going there this Sep for the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Trev, for AS computing you make your own program for coursework right? Well the computing and ICT teacher said that if we want we could make hacking program, i mean wtf, you have to test these programs etc. Could you enlighten me.
    Yes, for AS computing you do a coursework. If you follow AQA, you need to create a database on a case study supplied. You need to document it, and bring the documentation into the exam. I hope AQA would substitute that practical excercise with a coursework.

In A2 computing, you get to make your own program as a coursework. It can be practically anything you want. :p:

(Original post by Chris87)
    Slightly off topic: What sort of things do you do in A-level Computing?
    Programming, software and hardware, databases, networking, etc... and stuff like that. Some of the stuff overlaps with ICT though. I follow the AQA spec, you can see more detail: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...11-W-SP-06.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Programming, software and hardware, databases, networking, etc... and stuff like that. Some of the stuff overlaps with ICT though. I follow the AQA spec, you can see more detail: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...11-W-SP-06.pdf
    Certainly looks more interesting than ICT. Its a shame my sixth form doesn't offer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris87)
    Certainly looks more interesting than ICT. Its a shame my sixth form doesn't offer it.
    Indeed it is interesting! My sixth form doesn't offer it too, however, I ask my teacher if I can do it independently, and he said yes. You could do the same thing as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Indeed it is interesting! My sixth form doesn't offer it too, however, I ask my teacher if I can do it independently, and he said yes. You could do the same thing as well.
    anyone other than me feel that computing and english and geography and other writing subjects are harder than maths:confused: - and before you say anything - i know computing is not a writing subject - i just hate computers:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    anyone other than me feel that computing and english and geography and other writing subjects are harder than maths:confused: - and before you say anything - i know computing is not a writing subject - i just hate computers:rolleyes:
    I would say maths is harder though.

(Original post by kitsune)
    I think you should be ok with those subjects to entry those unis... but Maths would have helped!
    ffs! Maths isn't the solution to EVERYTHING!

"I want to do media studies at uni. I do media, sociology and drama"

"oh, I'd recommed double maths, physics, chemistry and some languages"

No, maths is not the be all and end all, will people STOP recommedning maths in totally ridicilous situations because 90% of people can't STAND maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    Yeah I feel the same really, maybe with an exception to Computing. I can do both of them but I find writing subjects aren't as interesting as something like Maths. Maths isn't easy but you know exactly what you're gonna get in the exam so its the easiest thing to revise for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)

No, maths is not the be all and end all, will people STOP recommedning maths in totally ridicilous situations because 90% of people can't STAND maths!
    LOL Amen to that!

ReputationRep:

lol, nice one. I have people who don't do maths although it is recommended, and they get offers. Yup you are right, maths is not everything for uni entrance. Some uni courses don't need maths at all (e.g. medicine won't have much maths in it, probably GCSE maths will be enough, probably you won't learn calculus, discrete maths,etc in medicine).

Some uni's don't need A-level maths for requirements and they don't need you to do it at A-level, as it can be taught in the first year. People do maths because it's part of their entrance requirement mostly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    lol, nice one. I have people who don't do maths although it is recommended, and they get offers. Yup you are right, maths is not everything for uni entrance. Some uni courses don't need maths at all (e.g. medicine won't have much maths in it, probably GCSE maths will be enough, probably you won't learn calculus, discrete maths,etc in medicine).

Some uni's don't need A-level maths for requirements and they don't need you to do it at A-level, as it can be taught in the first year. People do maths because it's part of their entrance requirement mostly.
    Most of the top Universities do require Maths for quite a few courses. If its taught during the first year then that means time is being wasted when it could have been studied at A-level. If people do Maths as part of their entrance requirements I think you have to ask why its part of the entry requirements. Maths proves you can think logically and although in every day life you may not for example be asked to do something like calculus but it proves you're good at problem solving - something that can be very useful in every day life.

ReputationRep:
    Maths shows a lot of skills, but so do other subjects. I think Maths is a good thing to take, but only if you enjoy it. I think History is a pretty tough A Level, and languages are hard if you're not good at them naturally. In the end, I think doing what you enjoy is probably the most important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    Maths shows a lot of skills, but so do other subjects. I think Maths is a good thing to take, but only if you enjoy it. I think History is a pretty tough A Level, and languages are hard if you're not good at them naturally. In the end, I think doing what you enjoy is probably the most important
    Exactly- there's no point doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics if you hate them just because people say they're good subjects.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends was stuck deciding whether to drop Spanish or Business Studies. She thinks she did better in the Spanish exams, but a teacher told her that as A2 gets more difficult, doing what you like becomes increasingly important as you need to do more work independantly, esp. for an A2 language. If you don't enjoy it then you won't be as determined to do well.

ReputationRep:

Nice one

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.