The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TheUnbeliever
Why :sigh:? :rofl: If you feel deprived in some way, you can check my answer. :p:

No. The elements of integration for polar coordinates are r dr dtheta. You missed out an extra r.

In the supervision we integrated r first.
Ape Gone Insane
How reliable is Clearing usually? I really don't want to take a gap year if I don't get into my desired university, Dundee. :no:

Or is Clearing only for offer holders?

Clearing is for those that got no offers. Of course you can decline all your offers and enter into clearing voluntarily but you almost will never get into a popular course, since you are a home student.
Ape Gone Insane
How reliable is Clearing usually? I really don't want to take a gap year if I don't get into my desired university, Dundee. :no:

Reliable how? You can Google or search TSR for a list of universities and the courses they offered in clearing last year, which should give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.

Or is Clearing only for offer holders?

It's specifically not for offer-holders. You must either have received none or declined any that you did receive in order to enter clearing.
TheUnbeliever
It's specifically not for offer-holders. You must either have received none or declined any that you did receive in order to enter clearing.

There is the possibly of adjustment, but I think in Ape's case that's not going to apply.
ukdragon37
There is the possibly of adjustment, but I think in Ape's case that's not going to apply.

And that's certainly unreliable by almost any measure, given the numbers of universities that opted out last year and are fairly likely to do so again this year.
Ape Gone Insane
:sad: Life is so complicated :sigh:

I'm sure you'll get into Dundee anyway :yep: pressure of all the AHs you are doing getting to you?
Ape Gone Insane
:sad: Life is so complicated :sigh:

Think of it this way, clearing is not to be used as the first or even second resort. It certainly should be the last.

If you don't get into Dundee, entering Clearing will not make your life any better/easier.
Madjackismad
I'm sure you'll get into Dundee anyway :yep: pressure of all the AHs you are doing getting to you?

Cambridge was smart enough to call my bluff last year by saying specifically I have to sit all the AHs I declare or my offer is not valid :ahee:
ukdragon37
Cambridge was smart enough to call my bluff last year by saying specifically I have to sit all the AHs I declare or my offer is not valid :ahee:

Ouch :p: any more than 3 AHs would be the end of me...seriously.
Ape Gone Insane
The subjects are fine asides from the occasional wet dream about kicking namedeprived ass in the prelim.

**** S5 grades and PS are getting to me and the 10:1 ratio of applicants to places.

You should ask your teachers in school to help you with your personal statement I handed it into the head of the english department so she could look over it, she's also my teacher for the dissertation. I've also handed it into my History teacher (from my Higher class last year), so that he could look over it as well as my guidance teacher.

One of the things I hate about AHs is the amount of work you have to put in and the time it takes up. It's pretty hard trying to balance my AH work with my two other Higher subjects, so I might end up dropping Modern Studies or Human Biology or maybe Advanced History since the school I have to go to for it, has the worst teacher ever.
Ape Gone Insane
The subjects are fine asides from the occasional wet dream about kicking namedeprived ass in the prelim.

**** S5 grades and PS are getting to me and the 10:1 ratio of applicants to places.

And rising :yep:

That's the curse of trying to get into a good uni/course unfortunately.

Computer Science at Cambridge is only 3:1 or 4:1 usually. The university as a whole has a ratio of 4:1.
Ape Gone Insane

:rofl:

Remember the 10:1 ratio will be a lot higher than the applicant:redface:ffer ratio, (since a lot of people will decline their offers), which will probably be nearer 4:1. Assuming then that you have a 25% chance of being made an offer (though it would probably be higher with all your subjects you're doing) from each of your 4 choices, then you have a 68% chance of being accepted by at least one.

And remember you can always take a Gap year and re-apply
Ape Gone Insane
Now we are on the subject what would you guys say to your younger selves? :awesome:

Nothing, because then I wouldn't be me. I am who I am because of all the mistakes I've made, as well as all the good things I've done. :smile:
Ape Gone Insane
:shifty:

And climb Mount Everest :nutcase:

Why the :shifty:?

If it so pleases you.:rolleyes: :biggrin:
namedeprived
Why the :shifty:?

At a guess, because 'gap year and reapply' is a pretty major undertaking.
Ape Gone Insane
Yes, thanks for reminding me :awesome:

*mutters*

Cambridge. Girls. AAAAAAA. Career. Money. Sex.

:getmecoat:

At least three of those don't really apply to my current position. :p: Also, remember that you don't actually know me, so the only real perspective you see of me is my academic side, which is good but relatively unremarkable. I'm not stupid, but nor am I a genius. Equally, academic achievements are, in the big picture, fairly unimportant.
Ape Gone Insane
Note to younger self: Spend those 4 hours on subject revision instead of developing and monetizing websites. I wish I had a TARDIS :sigh:

:nutcase: will just have to see how the UCAS pans out.

Now we are on the subject what would you guys say to your younger selves? :awesome:

You could only change things in flux. :awesome:

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to change anything, because the mistakes I have made and the lectures I recieved from parents/teachers/friends about those mistakes have made me the person I am today /cliche.

Though, I would maybe go back and change some things to see what my life would be like due to that change, but it wouldn't affect the life I currently lead. Like a parallel universe sorta thing.
Ape Gone Insane
Note to younger self: Spend those 4 hours on subject revision instead of developing and monetizing websites. I wish I had a TARDIS :sigh:

:nutcase: will just have to see how the UCAS pans out.

Past Ape: How did you get here?
Future Ape: I built a TARDIS.
Past Ape: WOW! You I built a TARDIS?!
Future Ape: :yep:
Past Ape: *thinks* Since it's certain that I will eventually build a TARDIS I won't bother to work to learn how to build one!

Ukdragon37: :hahaha: Causality paradox ho!
Ape Gone Insane
Modest and mysterious :love:

Taking academics into factor only, integration by parts makes good pillow talk :holmes:

:sigh:

PS. Remedy - Little Boots. :love:

He's more worried about multiple integrals at the moment :p: which makes your integration by parts look like child's play.
Reply 5919
Ape Gone Insane

You'll be fine :smile: I wish I was still applying for Dundee...and I could see the mysterious Mr. Ape :holmes:

Latest