Turn on thread page Beta

Not living, but exisiting watch

Since leaving uni this year I have been existing not living.

I don't have any true friends, zero social life, no money, no job to speak of and am just going through life in a daze. Existing rather than living. I have virtually nothing, and suffer from depression anyway so it makes things worse.

I want life to change and am doing things to try to make it change but I haven't had fun or been happy for nearly six months now.

I'm only keeping strong for my family really. There might come a time where I will get bored of living in such a way though, and it scares me that I might do something dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't you living?

Because it isn't as life as normal happy people live. It's just an existence. I wake up, do banal daily tasks and go to sleep again. No social interaction, no change to the pattern, no way to live, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because it isn't as life as normal happy people live. It's just an existence. I wake up, do banal daily tasks and go to sleep again. No social interaction, no change to the pattern, no way to live, really.
    Yes, but WHY?
    Why not get out and live?
    Why are you CHOOSING just to exist?

(Original post by cpj1987)
    Yes, but WHY?
    Why not get out and live?
    Why are you CHOOSING just to exist?
    I don't have any friends where I live. No money to do anything. No means of creating the lifestyle I enjoyed at uni. Daily depression making me feel bad.

Stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any friends where I live. No money to do anything. No means of creating the lifestyle I enjoyed at uni. Daily depression making me feel bad.

Stuff like that
    You don't need money to live. I barely ever spend money on myself, but have a great life. Joining a free club, or getting a job, can give you access to enjoyment, friends, and (in the case of a job) money.
    An enjoyable day for me involves going to work for eight hours, taking a trip to the library on the way home, and doing some voluntary work in the evening or relaxing on the internet. None of that costs me any money, but in that day I've spent time with friends, filled my time, and kept myself busy.

ReputationRep:
    its a hard pattern to get out of

ReputationRep:
    I use to be the same this time last year! My mum kicked me out and I was living at my sisters just going through the motions to the point I pondered the point of existence.

But then I just worked and went and gapped in Aus...obviously you can't because of your studies but what I'm getting at is that you're in control of your life and sometimes you have to shake it up. I love my life now which is a complete contrast to last year which i describe as "The worst year of my life"

Chin Up OP, things always have a way of sorting themselves out and you WILL get out of your rut.

ReputationRep:
    Make friends.

Do something different?
    Go for a jog
    Join the gym
    Go for a swim
    Go for a bike ride
    Go to the high street and just do some window shopping

Do something and the rest will follow

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's what I used to feel like.
    But you are young and at uni, situations will be continuously changing for you!
    You say you have no true friends to speak of... well with some aquaintances try talking to them more to to know them better?
    In your lectures and stuff try talking to people you have never spoken to before, preferably the chatty ones who will talk back and make conversation with
    Most people get lonely at uni cos they don't know anyone but it takes time for some people to get proper friends, it did for my sister, just give it time. Talk to you room mates if you have them?
    Try doing different things!! If you are bored like go to the museum or go for a jog- do free things that will take your mind off things.
    Don't worry about having no money, no one does!! That's what student loans are for
    You don't necessarily HAVE to do socialble things with people... you can go out on your own, get drunk before and see what happens could be fun?
    I duunno lol sorry. Always here if you wanna PM xx

(Original post by RainbowDrops)
    Make friends.
    Easier said than done. You need a social basis to make friends, such as university or a place of work and I don't have either

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any friends where I live.
    Make some.

No money to do anything.
    Get a job. Sign on. Read books; lots of them. Read Wikipedia. Read TV Tropes.

No means of creating the lifestyle I enjoyed at uni.
    You've no means of watching television, playing videogames, going out and getting drunk with like-minded people? Rubbish.

Daily depression making me feel bad.
    Symptomatic of everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_am_disco)
    I love my life now which is a complete contrast to last year which i describe as "The worst year of my life"

Chin Up OP, things always have a way of sorting themselves out and you WILL get out of your rut.
    Same same, the difference is amazing
    So happy now yet before was suicidal.
    Just shows how things can change so dramatically if you give it a chance.
    Don't give up!

ReputationRep:

Stuff like that
    I can understand the job aspect of things, seeing as we are in recession, but if you serious about "wanting" to live, why don't you volunteer for charity in your area. That will help you make new friends and give you something good to do. Why don't you contact your friends from uni?

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your position,

would definetly join the armed forces as anything.

It has always been my back up if things go wrong in life.

Think about it:

You do not need any money to join up.

You get paid while you train, which is for free, and free accomodation.

Plenty of new, REAL pals to go round to the pub with.

great physical demands and a challenge in life.

free dental and helath care.

The list goes on.

Search in google for the army, navy or raf.

(Original post by issih)
    Oh that's what I used to feel like.
    But you are young and at uni, situations will be continuously changing for you!
    You say you have no true friends to speak of... well with some aquaintances try talking to them more to to know them better?
    In your lectures and stuff try talking to people you have never spoken to before, preferably the chatty ones who will talk back and make conversation with
    Most people get lonely at uni cos they don't know anyone but it takes time for some people to get proper friends, it did for my sister, just give it time. Talk to you room mates if you have them?
    Try doing different things!! If you are bored like go to the museum or go for a jog- do free things that will take your mind off things.
    Don't worry about having no money, no one does!! That's what student loans are for
    You don't necessarily HAVE to do socialble things with people... you can go out on your own, get drunk before and see what happens could be fun?
    I duunno lol sorry. Always here if you wanna PM xx
    That's the point, I'm not AT uni anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Would help if other posters actually read the OP post and his other comments.

You sound like you might be suffering from Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD). I feel the exact same way as you and i'm pretty sure i have SPD but haven't been bothered to check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder

ReputationRep:
    That's the point, I'm not AT uni anymore.
    Then you have 24 hours a day to fill with absolutely anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.