Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would happen to things like the Queen and the UN etc if Britain were to integrate into the European Union?

Would the UN cease to exist if we adopt a single EU foreign policy? (If that's the direction Lisbon is taking us).

ReputationRep:
    Buddy, the context of your discussion sounds a little odd. When you say "if Britain were to integrate into the European Union?", are you suggesting if Britain becomes part of a "United States of Europe" what happens to our membership of the United Nations, and what role does the Royal Family play in Europe? If you could clarify that that'd be great, I'd love to get my teeth into this topic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am a bit scared of EU in future - United States of Europe sounds very American, and that is quiet annoying . We are Europeans, with so many languages and cultures, there is no need join different people into one crowd.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously this is purely speculation, but I would think that Europe would not have a single membership of the UN, the membership requirements of Ban Ki-Moon's organisation would certainly have to be changed, allowing representatives from each "state" within Europe from attending the United Nations... Just trying to think off the top of my head here... If I were the President of Europe (ha), all the royal families of Europe would still maintain their roles within their states, and their position would not be jeopardized in any way, although this could provide problems regarding the integration of Europe as a single entity, obviously royal families are a mark of national identity and could further separate the states of a European superstate.

Speculation... FUN

Don't think it would ever happen though, there's too much popular opposition in the European electorate to the idea. Although, over time, things do change...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquarian)
    Personally, I am a bit scared of EU in future - United States of Europe sounds very American, and that is quiet annoying . We are Europeans, with so many languages and cultures, there is no need join different people into one crowd.
    Yes! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puangiangi)
    Well obviously this is purely speculation, but I would think that Europe would not have a single membership of the UN, the membership requirements of Ban Ki-Moon's organisation would certainly have to be changed, allowing representatives from each "state" within Europe from attending the United Nations... Just trying to think off the top of my head here... If I were the President of Europe (ha), all the royal families of Europe would still maintain their roles within their states, and their position would not be jeopardized in any way, although this could provide problems regarding the integration of Europe as a single entity, obviously royal families are a mark of national identity and could further separate the states of a European superstate.

Speculation... FUN

Don't think it would ever happen though, there's too much popular opposition in the European electorate to the idea. Although, over time, things do change...

Especially with the introduction of Lisbon treaty. Pure rubbish. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I get worried that we seem to be 'carrying' alot of the lesser nations, economically, socially and militarily, yet they'll want equal voting rights.

Imagine if Ukraine applied for membership for example, their population is around 70 million people, the UK's population is 61 million.

Our economy is far greater, currency much stronger, our nation is far more developed and we dwarf them on a diplomatic and military scale, yet they in theory would have greater voting power than we have. This idea of a superstate is ridiculous if other nations can't bring something to the table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    What would happen to things like the Queen and the UN etc if Britain were to integrate into the European Union?
    It is already integrated - presumably you mean with the EU as a sovereign state, but even those aren't completely integrated in a federal system. Indeed, the UK isn't even entirely integrated. When Scotland and England joined to create Great Britain, they kept separate legal systems and established churches, for example.

Still, presuming the EU became a completely centralised unitary state - which would quite simply never happen - then there are still precedents for maintaining multiple royal families within republics: countries in Africa manage it.

As for the UN, that entirely depends on them. At the moment, membership requires status as a sovereign state - but in this day and age, things are rarely that black and white.

Would the UN cease to exist if we adopt a single EU foreign policy? (If that's the direction Lisbon is taking us).
    No. The EU Foreign policy that is proposed would be built on consensus and subsidiarity - the EU only acting when it is better placed than the member-states to do so. In these circumstances, separate foreign offices within the EU are not only permissible, but essential.

In terms of realpolitik too, the Union would want to maintain its international standing - which would involve as many of its members having influence in bodies like the UN as possible, particularly the Security Council. They aren't going to want to replace twenty-odd votes (or two on the SC) with one.

(Original post by 122025278)
    I get worried that we seem to be 'carrying' alot of the lesser nations, economically, socially and militarily, yet they'll want equal voting rights.

Imagine if Ukraine applied for membership for example, their population is around 70 million people, the UK's population is 61 million.

Our economy is far greater, currency much stronger, our nation is far more developed and we dwarf them on a diplomatic and military scale, yet they in theory would have greater voting power than we have. This idea of a superstate is ridiculous if other nations can't bring something to the table.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we should make constituencies in Merseyside and Northern Ireland bigger because they're not pulling their weight, economically speaking, within the UK? In every country, there are areas of comparative economic underdevelopment.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.