Challenging a parking ticket Watch

ms500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I just got a parking ticket on my windscreen, they want £30 within 28 days, but I have the option to go to court.

I have been parking in a street near my halls of residence because the company that runs our halls are confirmed Fascists and won't allow anyone to park on site. They have a large electric gate to prevent anyone from parking on site. Gits.

The street is signed as 'residents permit holders only, 8am-10pm'.

I am technically a resident because the halls are on the same street, but I don't have a council permit.

Could I claim that the sign is unclear, because I am technically a resident?
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, because the sign says 'permit holders'. :p:
ms500
Rep:
?
(Original post by cpj1987)
I could challenge it on the grounds that I parked it there after 10pm the previous night, when I was perfectly entitled to do so.

The ticket was issued at 9.59am, but I could claim that the officer was lying and that I had left before 8am. It would be my word against theirs, with no evidence either way.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ms500)
I could challenge it on the grounds that I parked it there after 10pm the previous night, when I was perfectly entitled to do so.

The ticket was issued at 9.59am, but I could claim that the officer was lying and that I had left before 8am. It would be my word against theirs, with no evidence either way.
Right. Yeah. Good luck with that one.
ms500
Rep:
?
Or I could sell the car and let the new owner carry the can.
ms500
Rep:
?
What happens if I don't pay it? Can you really go to jail for an unpaid £30 parking ticket?
ms500
Rep:
?
I'm sick of parking tickets, it's the second one this year. I paid the last one like a mug, but never again.

There's nowhere to park in this stupid city, screw them all.
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can get taken to court, where you will need to pay a lot more. If you don't pay that, you can go to jail.

You can try to claim you are a resident, I am not sure if it will work, but if you have nothing to lose, try it. You can't claim the time is wrong, when you are given the ticket, the ticket person takes a picture of your car without a permit in it, and records it electronicly.
bigman_ben
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're not in Leeds by any chance cos its a nightmare here, so much so that my car is at home on the front being driven by my mum. Look on Martin Lewis' website, just the other day he was on tv talking about how to avoid parking fines, see if you fit any criteria.
ms500
Rep:
?
No, it's not Leeds.

I just read that if you refuse to pay it, they call in the baliffs . You don't go to jail.

That's OK with me, I'll just give them my old iPod or something. Baliffs won't really be a problem for me because I don't own a house in the UK and have no permanent address anyway.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it's a council/Police issued ticket and you broke the terms of parking, you're probably better off paying it. The rules on tickets issued by the council or Police are significantly different to ones from private firms.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ms500)
No, it's not Leeds.

I just read that if you refuse to pay it, they call in the baliffs . You don't go to jail.

That's OK with me, I'll just give them my old iPod or something. Baliffs won't really be a problem for me because I don't own a house in the UK and have no permanent address anyway.
If you have no permanent address where is your car registered to?

Saying "they lied about the time" won't stand up as the guy probably didn't start work until then and you were the first car, there's no way a council traffic warden would start work before 8am!
Lady_KaKa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just pay up. Honestly, its just not worth challenging it.
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ms500)

They all carry cameras and will have taken a timestamped photo. Also if your car had left before 8, and assuming they only start at 8, how would she have your details and placed the ticket on your car?

Just pay up and learn. You wont get out of paying it.
willchambers
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Grow up and admit your faults. You did the wrong thing and now need to pay the price of your actions, no excuses.
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ms500)
I'm sick of parking tickets, it's the second one this year. I paid the last one like a mug, but never again.
Boo Hoo. I paid 5 in one month some time last year. :rolleyes:

Stop being silly, its £30. You knew the rules, you knew you were breaking them. You took a risk and it didnt pay off. As for selling the car, over £30 fine? Haha. Ok then. The baliffs will go round to whereever the car is registered. And remember, although the fine is only £30, or £60 as you'll be paying after 14 days, bailiffs also charge about £50 a visit. So your £30 fine is looking like £110 when the bailiffs have been once. If nobody is home you'll get billed for a second visit. Is it really worth it?

Oh, and if you dont pay for long enough they can seize your car and sell that.
jwn09
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by willchambers)
Grow up and admit your faults. You did the wrong thing and now need to pay the price of your actions, no excuses.
lol. You got repped for laying into someone here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post21710831 and thought you'd try a second time. No, no, no... because the OP isn't that unreasonable/immature this time.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
Exactly.
You can try to challenge it but i doubt you will get very far.
:woo:
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
grow up and pay i got one the other week as i had to leave my car in a street due to lack of parking at the hospital (Grandad had an MI sod it if i was spending an hour looking for a parking space) that was my second one this month for the same bloody hospital.

Alll traffic wardens should be killed fact!!!!
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by brokenangel)
grow up and pay i got one the other week as i had to leave my car in a street due to lack of parking at the hospital (Grandad had an MI sod it if i was spending an hour looking for a parking space) that was my second one this month for the same bloody hospital.

Alll traffic wardens should be killed fact!!!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1100496

----

Anyhow, the Penalty charge Notice issued by the council is a civil thing but it wont go away and will keep building before they eventually take you to court and send baliffs to collect something that equals the value of the debt - probably your car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads