The Student Room Group

Chartism

does anyone have any chartism notes. I have a test on monday

Scroll to see replies

I was about to start a new topic before I saw this!
I take it you're doing the synoptic Edexcel Chartism paper? (well, the "pick what topic you want paper" but being forced to do chartism). I literally made all my notes on paper 2 days ago; our teacher's absolutely useless, so once more I'm teaching myself :tongue:
Do you have any books from any historians? The Eric Evans book is particulary good, its describes everything fairly well, and he's also the chief examiner for the history paper! Basically just find out about the origins, (artisan radical tradiation), the support, the leaders, what they really wanted, the three phases (1836-39; 40-42; 45-48), tactics/organisations, what the government thought of them, whether they actually did "totally" fail, and try to learn a few quotes!!
If you really need some answers, try this website: http://www.historyhome.co.uk/peel/peelhome.htm Its about Peel (another history topic at A-level) butit has its own section on Chartism which i found very useful. Sorry I can't get my (limited) notes up for you, but I hope the website can help... and the best of luck in the exam!! Remember, its source based, so you can get half the marks easily!! (we all hope!)
http://www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk/Curriculum/history/A-level/chartism.htm

This is a page I found when searching for research ages ago - It seems to have been made by a school for their students as a syllabus to follow and it summaries all the very basic ideas / points! :smile: Hope it helps
Reply 3
ooo that's my school website! basic pah! :wink: The revision guide is a good structure to follow.
Do we actually need to know historians quotes? ACK! :eek: :eek:
Synkronized - I'm gonna try your idea for my panicked revision! A page of notes on each of the following topics:
Origins
Causes
Aims
Tactics
Organisations
Leaders
Support
Three Phases
Success vs. Failure

:frown: I guess I better get started!
Sparkle.Dremas - Best of luck with that :smile: I took my notes outside last night and started trying to put everything to memory... its very slowly getting there, but considering the exam's tomorrow, not fast enough!!
For the paper I'm guessing (as usual) we have to try and be analytical with facts to back whatever up... wish i could remember more historians quotes mind you... God I hope the examiners having a wonderful -lottery-winning-style day when he marks this!

I think today I'm gonna spend a few hours going over and over the notes, get the general geist of chartism, then maybe try a past paper tonight? Although, we haven't actually done a single essay this year on chartism, so i may have to plough through by myself answering a past paper with no time limit just to see what has to be done tomorrow... Just remember people, sources sources sources.

(I'm starting to sound like my good for nothing history teacher! NOO!!!)

We're all going to do fine and get top grades :biggrin: ... please....
I appear to have mastered the art of this revision now! Take simple notes (from that school website above) combined with detailed notes from text book by Evans and then brainstorm the basics (and a lil' bit more) of everything needed for each heading :smile: Woo! 1 down, 8 to go :smile:
Heh, looks like you're going to be beating me at this exam then!! :rolleyes:

Chartism really hasn't inspired me much this year, I'm going to be happy when its all over... though I'd like a good grade! My god its lunch already, I haven't started history revision yet today! :eek:

21 hours till it starts... main thats nasty
Lol, you have to take into account I have unit 5 + unit 6 tomorrow morning (3 hrs) and media (3 hrs) tomorrow afternoon. Then Tuesday afternoon I have English (2 hours) and I've been ill so I get 25% extra time if I need it...That's one long day for me!
Sparkle.Dremas
Lol, you have to take into account I have unit 5 + unit 6 tomorrow morning (3 hrs) and media (3 hrs) tomorrow afternoon. Then Tuesday afternoon I have English (2 hours) and I've been ill so I get 25% extra time if I need it...That's one long day for me!

Woah, unit 5?! whats that?! ... ooh, we did coursework this year, maybe thats why I don't have it (You had me worried then!)

I've got a biology synoptic tuesday, chemistry retake thursday and another bio synoptic on friday followed by unit 4 history retake. Its not a good week for me either! Just er... drink lots of coffee to keep you awake :p:
Previous years to us did c/wk but it clashed with English c/wk and it was harder to get an A than in the exam they reckoned, so we've studied 'Representation and Democracy 1830 - 1931' - I guess the two fit together very well really but still...!
Reply 12
we did c/wk for unit 4 so we're doing unit 5&6 exams. next week is going to be so horrible - mon-history, tue-eng, wed-french, thurs-G.S. Can't wait til next weekend when i'll only have french language papers left to worry about!
Sparkle.Dremas
we've studied 'Representation and Democracy 1830 - 1931' - I guess the two fit together very well really but still...!

That unit sounds like 2 of mine combined! At least it fits well together I guess... We did chemistry coursework at the same time as history, very stressful lol, but our history teacher told us we've all got at least our target grades, so I got at least a B for the c/w... *please don't moderate that down!*

Right, I'm gonna go watch another episode of band of brothers (yeah, fill my head with WW2 stuff, total stupidity :p: ) while I have lunch, then its chartism till monday lunchtime!!

The best of luck to you in all your exams tomorrow (theres a lot of them!)
Reply 14
:eek: I'm doing it as well and Unit 5 too plus I have 2 law modules so thats 6 hours in total :eek: somebody hold me :frown:

p.s. I'm using that school's website too! Its pretty good for summarising all the key points. Is anyone learning quotes from other historians too?
mxox

p.s. I'm using that school's website too! Its pretty good for summarising all the key points. Is anyone learning quotes from other historians too?

I've decided not to, I never remember them by the time we're in the exam and it's not required to get an A. The board's website says that they won't make a 'medicore essay good' and they often have the opposite effect instead! :eek:
Reply 16
Synkronized
, then its chartism till monday lunchtime!!

'til lunchtime? Edexcel chartism is in the morning according to my statement of entry?? :confused:
alro
'til lunchtime? Edexcel chartism is in the morning according to my statement of entry?? :confused:

Mine too...
Quick question, but I think you're all revising now anyway :frown: Who were Vincent and McDouall? How much detail do we need to know about the individual leaders?
Reply 19
i've never even heard them mentionned to be honest! can't be that important - i hope!

Latest

Trending

Trending