Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by The_Crow)
    the goth look is so much more attractive that chavs, drowning themselves in white hoodies and burberry.
    I guess that part depends on what you're referring to though; I wouldn't call the stereotypical 14 year old black and white face paint 'attractive'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    chavs are heavy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley_Valo666)
    Since you gave a link about chavs, heres one about goths-
    http://blood-dance.net/goth/origins.html
    Although that is an interesting article, I do find it a bit sad.

The central Ideal that characterizes Goth is an almost compulsive drive towards creativity and self-expression that seeks to reach out and ensnare its audience using our current society's covert but deeply rooted fascination with all things dark and frightening.
    I always imagine self expression to be something you do for yourself, not an 'audience'. Why do you need to 'ensnare' anyone? Who is this audience?

I don't know, it appears to me to be a bit of pseudo-intellectual act.

Plus, I have to ask why self expression needs to be labelled or categorised. In terms of self expression I'd prefer to express myself as an individual rather than as just another member of a group that is said to have a 'central ideal' on the way in which to do so. Sure, I might belong to groups - I'm a student, a teenager, a member of various university societies - but when I want to express me, I don't allow those subcultures to dictate the way I choose to do so. Or is it that the chosen method of self-expression is exactly what makes you a part of that group in the first place? If that's the case, why does the group need an ideal (defined as "a principle to be aimed for; a standard of perfection", according to here)?

I suppose I just don't understand it. There's no right or wrong here, it just seems a bit strange to me.

ReputationRep:
    Both should join forces and take out all the Normals. FREAKS OF THE WORLD UNITE! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR....*frantic whispering*...ER, YOUR SLACK!

ReputationRep:
    I started this months ago AND IT'S STILL GOING?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    lol Saccer you created a truly successful thread lol

ReputationRep:
    If chavs are hated so much then how come everybodys a flippin chav?! Switch onto any music channel with mainstream music (thats about 99% of them) and I guarentee to you that 90% of the singers are all chavs! Somebody should set them all on fire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    Somebody should start a Chavs vs Emos thread, that'd be interesting

(Original post by Darkened Angel)
    If chavs are hated so much then how come everybodys a flippin chav?! Switch onto any music channel with mainstream music (thats about 99% of them) and I guarentee to you that 90% of the singers are all chavs! Somebody should set them all on fire
    I doubt very much that all these 'chav' singers are stealing car wheels and smashing windows in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclearbuddha)
    I doubt very much that all these 'chav' singers are stealing car wheels and smashing windows in.
    They still promote the chav image though and you dont really need to be a chav to smash windows in, anyone can do that. Its a pretty dumb generalisation if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody should start a Chavs vs Emos thread, that'd be interesting
    Emos dir! wouldn't everyone else pick Emo over Chavs (ok maybe coz i'm slightly emo and my best mate is very emo lol but still)

ok who WOULD you pick a chav over no contest?

They still promote the chav image though and you dont really need to be a chav to smash windows in, anyone can do that. Its a pretty dumb generalisation if you ask me.
    A 'pretty dumb generalisation', coming from someone moaning about a grouo of people and they way they dress.

ReputationRep:
    A 'pretty dumb generalisation', coming from someone moaning about a grouo of people and they way they dress.
    Actually I think all generalisations are stupid, nobody is ever the stereotypical chav/emo/goth/etc which is why it annoys me when people think they're all the same.
    And I was moaning about the stereotypical chav clothes and how everybody seems to be wearing them these days

More people are wearing skinny jeans than tracksuits, though. In the south, at least.

ReputationRep:
    More people are wearing skinny jeans than tracksuits, though. In the south, at least.
    I wasn't clear enough, I meant on tv music channels, it doesnt bother that much since I watch Kerrang and Scuzz mainly, but my sis prefers the other channels and they're usually dressed like chavs on there

BTW, whats with the mosher uprise? I've seen a lot of moshers at school recently, not that I'm complaining, its just weird.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a town totally topped with chav infested housing estates - and they drive me MENTAL.

You cant go anywhere without them saying 'you lookin at me? I saw you look at me look away'
    Or perhaps their personal favourite 'you startin, intcha? Innit m8 innit'

I wish i was a little taller and not so skinny. I would turn round to them and say 'yes, i looked at you. Whats your problem?'

Emos/goths/indie and anything else is cool! Chavs deserve extermination.
    But im not normally a mean judgmental person, but in certain circumstances . . .

I wasn't clear enough, I meant on tv music channels, it doesnt bother that much since I watch Kerrang and Scuzz mainly, but my sis prefers the other channels and they're usually dressed like chavs on there

BTW, whats with the mosher uprise? I've seen a lot of moshers at school recently, not that I'm complaining, its just weird.
    Ahhh, I see. Well I don't really see any 'chavs' on music TV and I watch The Box and channels like that.

I'm not quite sure what a mosher is but if they're in the lower years it's probably that experimenting time of year where they'd like to be 'different' or whatever. Not that there's a special time of year for it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what a mosher is but if they're in the lower years it's probably that experimenting time of year where they'd like to be 'different' or whatever. Not that there's a special time of year for it. :p:
    Moshers are into rock and metal music, Triviums a popular band for moshers. I'm partly mosher, but dont dress like one, just listen to the music.

Ahhh, I see. So are they mainly 13/14?

I don't know what we call them on the Isle of Wight. Perhaps they're called moshers here too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see. So are they mainly 13/14?

I don't know what we call them on the Isle of Wight. Perhaps they're called moshers here too.
    13 - 18

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.