Turn on thread page Beta

18? Good heavens. Well, all the ones that have suddenly appeared who are 15 or under are probably experimenting because... one person did and then they all wanted to. Or something. The older ones... who knows what happened to them.

I suppose it's like the sudden emergence of emo kids everywhere. They came out of nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclearbuddha)
    18? Good heavens. Well, all the ones that have suddenly appeared who are 15 or under are probably experimenting because... one person did and then they all wanted to. Or something. The older ones... who knows what happened to them.
    Decent music? :p: Maybe the older ones started the trend and the smaller ones are copying it cause its 'different'

I suppose it's like the sudden emergence of emo kids everywhere. They came out of nowhere.
    I've never seen an emo around here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclearbuddha)
    I don't know what we call them on the Isle of Wight. Perhaps they're called moshers here too.
    Maybe you call them rockers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    Actually I think all generalisations are stupid, nobody is ever the stereotypical chav/emo/goth/etc which is why it annoys me when people think they're all the same.
    BTW, whats with the mosher uprise? I've seen a lot of moshers at school recently, not that I'm complaining, its just weird.
    Moshers are into rock and metal music, Triviums a popular band for moshers. I'm partly mosher, but dont dress like one, just listen to the music.
    Isn't that all a bit hypocritical? You claim to think all generalisations are stupid, and then go on to pigeon-hole a load of people at your school, and even yourself!

Maybe you call them rockers?
    I haven't really heard anyone call these people anything, perhaps because nobody my age bothers with all the labels anymore, and I never really talk to the lower years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Isn't that all a bit hypocritical? You claim to think all generalisations are stupid, and then go on to pigeon-hole a load of people at your school, and even yourself!
    I'm a hypocrite, cant help it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    BTW, I said I'm partly mosher, I'm also partly geek, and just a teeny bit nerd.
    As for the people at school, they're all trying to conform to the stereotype mosher which is why I generalised them.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I said I'm partly mosher, I'm also partly geek, and just a teeny bit nerd.
    As for the people at school, they're all trying to conform to the stereotype mosher which is why I generalised them.
    But that makes no difference at all! You're making generalisations yourself - three of them in that post alone. It doesn't matter how many 'groups' you see yourself as part of, you're still pigeon-holing yourself. Is it so hard to just be 'you'? Why all the labelling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    But that makes no difference at all! You're making generalisations yourself - three of them in that post alone. It doesn't matter how many 'groups' you see yourself as part of, you're still pigeon-holing yourself. Is it so hard to just be 'you'? Why all the labelling?
    I am 'me' and I'm not pigeon-holing myself, I just happen to have some charecteristics of the stereotypical mosher/geek/nerd.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends are goths but they don't think they're more important than anyone else, they're just like everyone else in the entire world, with problems and issues to contend with. It's just that they enjoy music and clothes that many other people find "odd". However, I've also heard of goths being really catty and stuck up and whilst it's "cool" to be an individual and different, you have to be individual and different in a way that conforms to the majorities way of thinking. Most of my friends are at least mid 20's and many are already in their 30's or coming up fast, being goth doesn't always mean you're a youngster who dresses all in black, whites your face up and angsts and gets angry about how terrible life is. in fact my goth friends call them "spooky kids" and see them as more of a proto-goth who have a bit of growing up to do before they can be true goths.

On the other end my brother in law's sister could be labelled as a chav if you made a snap judgement based on the way she dresses and the fact she can sometimes be a bit loud. Yet she's one of the kindest, funniest, most loving people I have met for a really long time. Sometimes she can be a bit clueless and lacking in common sense, but I wouldn't call her stupid by any stretch of the word. She also doesn't have half a dozen offspring and she lives in a really nice house in a quiet area that I'm exceedingly envious of.

I think what the majority of people here are complaining about is stupidity and arrogance (often shown by teenagers who grow out of it), not goths or chavs themselves. It's a gross generalisation to say goths are this or chavs are that, they're individuals just like everyone else who have good and bad points and may or may not act in the stereotypical way.

I suggest people read about labelling theory (briefly touched on in most sociology textbooks, available from all good libraries), it can be quite an interesting topic and makes you question things within society.

ReputationRep:
    Goths & chavs? Honestly, I don't see any difference.

ReputationRep:
    I think when you get to a certain age you should stop being in a group and start wearing normal clothes who gives a **** what feels comfortable just look nice I dislike seeing greasy hair which both of these ppl usually have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jomo)
    HAHAHA

You are joking right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyD)
    HAHAHA

You are joking right?
    Would I have suggested the idea if I was joking?

Both groups are just made up of individuals who can't take the pressures of society and hope to rebel against it, when really they're just conforming within their own social groups. Honestly, why can't people just accept that we are who we are. Both groups are just as weak as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    i take it as your a charv. ignorant ****
    Ah, the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    Which is preferable...

a GOTH... or a CHAV?

I think I'm going to have to go for...

GOTHS

if only because I can have intelligent conversations with the goths at my school.

GOTH GOGTH GOTHS

I cant stand chavs :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Eliyana*)
    "chavs" are just the white working classes all tarred with the same brush and given 2003's (i think) buzzword "chav".
    This is a load of rubbish. My mother's boyfriend is white and working class, but he certainly is NOT a chav. One of my best friends lives on a council estate, is working class, etc., but is not a chav - in fact, he despises them too.

Also, like others have said, chavvery is NOT just a white thing. If you go to Bradford, Oldham, or even as far south as Reading, you will find hordes of chavs of Pakistani-origin. If you go to Birmingham, London, Manchester, and Nottingham, you will find hordes of negro chavs...

It's insulting to the working classes to call them all chavs, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jomo)
    Theres not much difference really.. they both have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes, etc... only difference is taste in music and the style.. Chavs are just hated as much as goths and "emos" are.. can't win now-a-days, people will ALWAYS judge you no matter what you are..

ReputationRep:
    I can't really choose, i have many Gothic and Chavish friends, both are kinda equal, except they kinda talk, walk, dress differently, nothing else :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaporter)
    I can't really choose, i have many Gothic and Chavish friends, [b]both are kinda equal[b], except they kinda talk, walk, dress differently, nothing else :/
    Damn Right..

A few of my mates are goths, and a few are chavs, and to ask me to choose which ones i would rather hang around with would be wrong, they are both equally as nice to me, and i wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with either of them. I don't see the difference in talk to be honest either..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.