Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what I meant was, the word Chav is an acronym of "council house and violent" - that is where the word originates. The word chav began when it was describing a certain type of people, with a certain attitude mainly. The word "goth" first came about to describe a certain type of music...and the fans of that music were dubbed goths.

they are not one and the same, sorry if it sounds hypocritical. Look on wiki if you dont believe me :P

ReputationRep:
    i dunno who i prefer...all i know is both appear to think they're far cooler than they are.
    Yea OK you wear black and frequently talk about death/burberry and turn your Fred perry collar up get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E-mi-ri)
    what I meant was, the word Chav is an acronym of "council house and violent" - that is where the word originates. The word chav began when it was describing a certain type of people, with a certain attitude mainly. The word "goth" first came about to describe a certain type of music...and the fans of that music were dubbed goths.

they are not one and the same, sorry if it sounds hypocritical. Look on wiki if you dont believe me :P
    I don't see what bearing that has on anything... today, someone can be a chav because of what they wear and what music they listen to even if they're not violent and from a council estate. The meaning has changed (just as it has in popular culture for the term 'goth' too). I'm sure that there are a huge range of similarities amongst chavs too.

Using that logic, some goths might want to start a fight and some chavs might just own a few CDs and wear Burberry. In fact, I could change your wording to this:

"Unfortunately the vast majority of people nowadays fail to know this, and incorrectly label anything from a council estate as a chav, and think that they are all violent or something, when it is not the case."

Personally I think all of it is pathetic, but that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I see what you mean.. I still dont think "chav" has a lot to do with music really, even if they do listen to a lot of hip hop/r'n'b there are plenty of people that like that and arent chavs.

...and somehow I doubt any actual goths would start a fight with anyone..they're far too weedy! XD That idea makes me laugh actually.. Robert Smith trying to start on someone, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I see what you mean.. I still dont think "chav" has a lot to do with music really, even if they do listen to a lot of hip hop/r'n'b there are plenty of people that like that and arent chavs.
    Well, I was thinking more chavvy dance music! But anyway, there are plenty of people that listen to what is considered by the general public to be 'goth' music too, but they're not all goths either.

Point is, the majority of chavs out there probably aren't violent, there are loads of little kiddy chavs that just listen to chav music and wear chav clothes (or at least that's the way it is around here anyway). Because the definition has changed now to include almost anything seen as less classy, 'chav' encompasses loads of stuff that doesn't involve violence, of which music plays a small-ish part

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I agree with you there...allthough there still does exist a culture of violence among male chavs, which is a bad thing as it's getting to be quite mainstream. I'm just afraid that the kiddy chavs will grow up to be big horrible chavs, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just afraid that the kiddy chavs will grow up to be big horrible chavs, lol.
    They become feral after 6 months

As to the definition of chav, everyone has their own experiences and ideas. Personally i go by their clothing first to ascertain a "lesser chav" but once you see them happy slapping and generally showing anti-social chavish behaviour etc that really is a prime example of a "greater chav" or a "fully-fledged" adult chav. Ahhh much fun comes from chav spotting :rolleyes:

Oh and i agree with you there E-mi-ri on the culture of violence, i read something on the bbc news recently talking about chavs and how they skip school and intentionally fail exams to be "cool".

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard that 'council house and violent' thing before. I thought the word chav came from the hebrew for 'child' or something.

The word Goth is short for Gothic which was a part of the Romantic movement (literature and architecture and stuff) i think

(and before anyone even starts to think Robert Smith is a goth. Hes not! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I've never heard that 'council house and violent' thing before. I thought the word chav came from the hebrew for 'child' or something.

The word Goth is short for Gothic which was a part of the Romantic movement (literature and architecture and stuff) i think

(and before anyone even starts to think Robert Smith is a goth. Hes not! )
    I think it's a corruption of the Romany word for 'child'.

And most people who call themselves 'goths' wouldn't know 'Gothic Literature' if it came up and danced naked before them.

ReputationRep:
    Can we add emos to the mix? They are the diet coke/margarine/tesco's own/buy one get one free/low fat, high fibre of goths

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. I dunno, i think id still choose goths

ReputationRep:
    Well who wouldnt? I'm just adding another group for the meat grinder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    I think it's a corruption of the Romany word for 'child'.

And most people who call themselves 'goths' wouldn't know 'Gothic Literature' if it came up and danced naked before them.
    I know! Tell me about it!:mad: :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquid Skin)
    Can we add emos to the mix? They are the diet coke/margarine/tesco's own/buy one get one free/low fat, high fibre of goths
    Hehe- but I'm thinking that some of those that claim to be a "Goth" are emos or most likely the stereotypical image of it. :rolleyes: But then. not all emos are Goths, lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, im just confused over emos

ReputationRep:
    haha, the problem with Emo is that lots of the people that call themselves Emo are actually "scene kids" where they wear tight trousers and load of makeup and have those trademark hairdos (and take myspace photos of themselves a lot LOL), when original emo is glasses and looking nerdy and the being depressed. Also scene kids that I've met are usually really happy!?! Its nothing to do with goth at all really, allthough because the scene kids wear black a lot it gets confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think its kind of a broad term emo. The ones i see mostly are kinda pop-goths who listen to "happy" goth music with poppy choruses and don't wear black. They still constantly right angst poety about how terrible their life is and how they slice their wrists though. :confused:

Urgh i really do hate emos, now emus, they're an entirely different kettle of fish.......or bird depending on your view

ReputationRep:
    They still constantly right angst poety about how terrible their life is and how they slice their wrists though.
    People dont self-harm so they have something to write poetry about. I think its a bit more complicated than that

haha emus are quite good actually. Y'know in south africa they race them like horses (with emu jockeys on the top.) Id love to go to an emu race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    People dont self-harm so they have something to write poetry about. I think its a bit more complicated than that
    Lol well obviously. I think you misunderstood me there. I'd be scared and confused to find someone who self harms in order to create writing material....

Anyway the whole point of this thread is making huge generalisations, if we were being serious we wouldnt insult the stereotypes as no matter what you look like, everyone is different. But the former sentence seemed far too sensible for my liking, monkey trumpets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Though that may be the case for some, i wouldn't say most. One reason people might identify themselves as goths is their interest in gothic literature. It doesn't necessary have to be music or clothing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.