Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is any1 here thinking of medicine at oxbridge? If so what sort of GCSE grades do you reckon you'll get? i've read some oxbridge students profiles and their grades are unbelieably good

ReputationRep:
    yea they are. They are about 7/8 A* and above, aren't they? Dont worry about it, you only require those A* grades to get an interview. After that, its all about your ability at the subject.

O and by the way, do biology! (at AS)

ReputationRep:
    basically if you wanna go to the top unis
    Aim for at least all As
    because that would put you higher in their eyes when it comes to selection

i wanna do law at cambridge and i hope i get at least all As cuz law is competitive enough but it will be so tough to get into cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I'd say def A* in biology, physics, chemistry. Preferable the rest A*s but 6-7 would'nt be a disaster.

For A level biol, chemistry (apparently chemistry is one they like you to have, not just biology). Perhaps a language and maths to make up the four?

4 As predicted at A level is a must nowadays.

This is for oxbridge mind. If you want to go to NEWI or somewhere you can perhaps afford to get all Fs or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidt)
    A*s but 6-7 would'nt be a disaster.
    lol. Loads of people from our school and others have got in with 6/7 A*. How is it 'not a disaster?'

ReputationRep:
    By 'not a disaster' I meant okay

Set your sights high. There's tremendous competition so as many as you can get the better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidt)
    By 'not a disaster' I meant okay

Set your sights high. There's tremendous competition so as many as you can get the better!
    Anyhow leaving oxbridge aside-i have the option of continuing my education abroad after GCSE's-however if i get the grades for medicine here ill probs stay-in my signature those are my grades for mocks-however im 100% sure ive done worse in the real thing.

If i get say 4A* and 5A's is that relaistically good enough for somewhere like Oxbridge or KCL?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on competition - go to the colleges' web sites and see what the usual standard is.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs aren't THAT important
    If you have a borderline personal statement then ok
    But you should bear in mind that to do medicine at oxbridge you have to take the BMAT exam, and unlike other subjects where more than 90% of applicants are interviewed, for medicine it's more like 30% - with the choices depending on your score in that exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Your GCSEs aren't THAT important
    If you have a borderline personal statement then ok
    But you should bear in mind that to do medicine at oxbridge you have to take the BMAT exam, and unlike other subjects where more than 90% of applicants are interviewed, for medicine it's more like 30% - with the choices depending on your score in that exam
    Yeah that's a good point i do realise there are other factors involved-but i need to make my decision within the next month!
    If with those GCSE's there isn't a reasonable chance then i might as well busta groove outta here.

ReputationRep:
    Its your A-Levels, the interview and who you are that are most important! Universities care more about these than GCSEs so if you don't get 10 A*s or something its not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    And besides, there are way more unis that do medicine than just Oxbridge. Not being Oxbridge standard isn't the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

You might get some more responses if you post this in the Oxbridge forum.

ComebackQueen, I wouldn't mind law at Cambridge either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    yea they are. They are about 7/8 A* and above, aren't they? Dont worry about it, you only require those A* grades to get an interview. After that, its all about your ability at the subject.

O and by the way, do biology! (at AS)
    5A*s 3As and a B here
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I just think it is pretty funny that everyone - not just on here, but in rl too - has started to think about uni (and, oddly enough, specifically Oxbridge), even though we have only just, or are about to, finish GCSEs! Everyone sure is dedicated... Well, you know what they say - no rest for the wicked and all. ;-P

ReputationRep:
    Always wanted to do medicine and be a surgeon. It doesn't necessarily have to be in Oxbridge you know, there are equally excellent universities out there that do great courses for medicine! Most people, I've noticed, just hear the word Oxford and they think "oo wow", oblivious to many factors. Have you checked out what the course is like at Oxbridge? It differs slightly from other universities.

I'm not even expecting ONE A*, to be honest, me and exams don't go well...but I'm definitely going on to medicine no matter what. Just be dedicated, and have faith in yourself.

Like someone said, there's a BMAT test required...so if you don't do particularly well in your GCSEs, you'll have the chance to get interviewed if your BMAT score is in the top, say 7%, if you only got one A*, for example.

Divine, I would just like to add that if your predicted grades are anything to go by, you shouldn't be worrying. Just take it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Whether you apply to Oxbridge or not, medicine courses require very high results. Most, if not all A*s, I guess. Of course A Levels matter more, but "so many candidates get As these days..." :rolleyes:

The thing about BMAT is that it's probably not easy to do well, so you need good grades. BMAT won't save you.

Bye bye medicine.

ReputationRep:
    The BMAT questions are rather simple, GCSE Double Award stuff. It's the time pressure that makes it a ***** on heat.:|

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know:

Cambridge requires AAA in A-levels in Chemistry, Biology and either Maths or Physics. You can't do medicine at Cambridge without three out of these four A-level subjects at grade A. (I know this because I wanted to do Med at Cambridge, but I can't because I don't want to take maths or physics, I'm not confident I'll get an A.)

Oxford requires only Chemistry and Biology and one other A-level, grades AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Rosalily: Yup, same here. I don't want to do maths or physics A level so I wouldn't be able to apply to Oxbridge (for med anyway). I'm not too bothered because there are other very prestigious unis for med, and it's a standard degree throughout the UK no matter which uni you go to.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.