Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even expecting ONE A*, to be honest, me and exams don't go well...but I'm definitely going on to medicine no matter what. Just be dedicated, and have faith in yourself.
    Erm, I hate to break it to you, but isn't 6 As at GCSE like quite literally a legal requirement or something to do Medicine? Seriously, I think it's the only profession were there are actual laws in place, and I'm sure our school has had to break it to a few people that they're never ever going to be a doctor, because they haven't got at least 6 As at GCSE.

Aside from that, seriously they're not that important. As I've said quite a few times (sorry to repeat myself) I've been to some Oxford Uni lectures and stuff, and I went to one just a few weeks ago, and a couple of tutors and a dean told me that, honestly, they're not all that arsed about GCSEs, at all! As they say, some people might develop later on than other people. As long as you get all A*-C grades, it really is fine. It's AAAA/AAAB at AS and AAA at A-Level that you need. Seriously and honestly.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that person who created this thread is sad.lol.GCSEs arent the end of the world.Oxbridge interviews most of the applicants and even if u get no A*s you will be able to get a place, if you manage the interview well and show your real talent and that you are born to be a doctor. Thats why you can usually hear about 11A*s student with 5 A levels who was rejected. He was just nerd and couldnt manage an interview because he is unable to adapt to new situations and can only slowly work through his book, spending his all entire life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    I personally believe that person who created this thread is sad.lol.GCSEs arent the end of the world.Oxbridge interviews most of the applicants and even if u get no A*s you will be able to get a place, if you manage the interview well and show your real talent and that you are born to be a doctor. Thats why you can usually hear about 11A*s student with 5 A levels who was rejected. He was just nerd and couldnt manage an interview because he is unable to adapt to new situations and can only slowly work through his book, spending his all entire life.
    Of course, I agree. However medicine is a particularly competetive course and Oxbridge is very hard to get into, so it would probably help, just a little, to have good grades. You're right that people need other things too, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Erm, I hate to break it to you, but isn't 6 As at GCSE like quite literally a legal requirement or something to do Medicine? Seriously, I think it's the only profession were there are actual laws in place, and I'm sure our school has had to break it to a few people that they're never ever going to be a doctor, because they haven't got at least 6 As at GCSE.
    Ah, I never knew that...Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    IZZY! is right, a lot of people with 5 billion A*s get rejected (well not 5 billion but you know...), and then they all try and get into Havard and other Ivy League colleges. I've heard of more people with say As, and Bs, maybe even a couple of Cs, getting into Oxford especially, but with AAA at A-Level, than people who have like 10 A*s. Oxbridge is bored of geeks now...it wants rounded individuals. ie. people who are naturally clever, and do not have to live off a text book to achieve reasonable grades. Say for example, there might be a complete loser, doesn't go out, has no friends, crap social skills, but crams day in day out and gets 11 A*s. But they'd be more likely to accept a well rounded candidate, who showed iniative, potential, good social skills, extra curricular activities relating to their chosen subject, but with As and Bs. I think the key word is potential; they use it a lot. Basically, even if you've previously done crap, but they think that they can make you into the genius you really are, then you'll probably get in. Anyway, I'm off to cram all night so I can get 10 A*s and get into Oxford....:p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I never knew that...Interesting.
    Indeed. I feel really bad for the people that must have been on the receiving end of that little "chat". Shattered dreams or what, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Thats ******** about 6 A's. Either that or my cousin is BREAKING THE LAW, or maybe its just some sad **** who thinks they are really clever being a smart ass and trying to upset people.

ReputationRep:
    IZZY! is right, a lot of people with 5 billion A*s get rejected (well not 5 billion but you know...), and then they all try and get into Havard and other Ivy League colleges. I've heard of more people with say As, and Bs, maybe even a couple of Cs, getting into Oxford especially, but with AAA at A-Level, than people who have like 10 A*s. Oxbridge is bored of geeks now...it wants rounded individuals. ie. people who are naturally clever, and do not have to live off a text book to achieve reasonable grades. Say for example, there might be a complete loser, doesn't go out, has no friends, crap social skills, but crams day in day out and gets 11 A*s. But they'd be more likely to accept a well rounded candidate, who showed iniative, potential, good social skills, extra curricular activities relating to their chosen subject, but with As and Bs. I think the key word is potential; they use it a lot. Basically, even if you've previously done crap, but they think that they can make you into the genius you really are, then you'll probably get in. Anyway, I'm off to cram all night so I can get 10 A*s and get into Oxford....:p: :p:
    yay!
    However Oxbridge rocks.lol.i ll rep you when i can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    Thats ******** about 6 A's. Either that or my cousin is BREAKING THE LAW, or maybe its just some sad **** who thinks they are really clever being a smart ass and trying to upset people.
    what are u on about?

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps, Thinktank, they're giving you the facts...

Perhaps your cousin is breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    People, GCSE grades aren't the be-all-end-all of getting into medical school. Most universities state something like B or above in English, Maths and Sciences. You dont NEED two million A* grades to get in. Nor do you NEED 4 As at A Level to get into most medical schools either (Oxbridge expect AAA though but the majority who apply do have those grades). Obviously, you need to do as well as you can but don't go into a state of severe depression if you get a B here or there Your first year at college/sixth form and subsequently your PREDICTED grades plus your reference from teachers, extra curricular activities and general enthusiasm for medicine from your personal statement has a much bigger impact. Don't panic

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you mean me, or my teachers. (:p:), but I doubt whether anyone is being a "sad ****" who is "trying to upset people". Hm...except perhaps you. I would say 6 As is definitely preferable, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it the absolute MINIMUM requirement for all decent unis. Which is why it is generally regarded as a very slim chance to get a Medicine place below these grades. I'm sure you'll lie, and come back now, saying that your cousin goes to Oxford...blah blah...but seriously, while GCSEs certainly do not have to be oustanding, for Medicine and Law, they do have to be good. And I'd rather doctors did have a minimum of 6 As to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I've also been told that you do need a minimum set of GCSE grades to do Medicine at University by my Higher Education tutor. And as Zhivago said, I would like to have a Doctor that can achieve 6 As at GCSE. Remember - Medicine is not only a taxing course, but it leads to a career in which patient's LIVES are in the hands of these graduates.

Perhaps it's better phrased as "I wouldn't want a Doctor with anything less than 6 As to be playing with my life."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    Obviously you haven't read the reasons for this thread--i need to make a decision on whether to stay or leave. It's quite a major decision so in terms of academics gcse's are the end of the world. And why oxbridge? yes prestige is a factor but a small one--i prefer their preclin-clin style-would suit me better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    Obviously you haven't read the reasons for this thread--i need to make a decision on whether to stay or leave. It's quite a major decision so in terms of academics gcse's are the end of the world. And why oxbridge? yes prestige is a factor but a small one--i prefer their preclin-clin style-would suit me better
    hahaha. have you ever been there?have you ever had lectures there?what if you dont like it?well a person who knows that GCSEs arent the end of the world wouldnt create such meaningless thread. Stop making excuses. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    hahaha. have you ever been there?have you ever had lectures there?what if you dont like it?well a person who knows that GCSEs arent the end of the world wouldnt create such meaningless thread. Stop making excuses. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I have been to both Cambridge and Oxford-i attended an anthropology lecture at cambridge and a ppe lecture at oxford--i went to dep. of medicine in both-liked it there. 2 of my cousins are studying med one at oxford and one at birmingham--i.e preclin-clin and PBL systems-so i am very familiar with what each entails-however i have the option of studying abroad-now are the gcse grades am going to get on 25th august going to influence my decision? ofcourse! if it's a meaningless thread then why are you posting?
    I've read some very useful posts here from some very helpful people--unfortuantley you'r not one of them so why are you wating your time? :bird: :y:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    I have been to both Cambridge and Oxford-i attended an anthropology lecture at cambridge and a ppe lecture at oxford--i went to dep. of medicine in both-liked it there. 2 of my cousins are studying med one at oxford and one at birmingham--i.e preclin-clin and PBL systems-so i am very familiar with what each entails-however i have the option of studying abroad-now are the gcse grades am going to get on 25th august going to influence my decision? ofcourse! if it's a meaningless thread then why are you posting?
    I've read some very useful posts here from some very helpful people--unfortuantley you'r not one of them so why are you wating your time? :bird: :y:
    well you can try to ask people who are studying Medicine at Cambridge and they will tell you the same thing I did. I even got the rep for the post I posted on ur thread, because someone actually agreed with me. If you have these cousings studying at Oxbridge, why dont you go and ask them instead of creating threads in GCSE section trying to know an answer from people, who have never done it and dont know much about it?

ReputationRep:
    For God's sakes - take your petty argument out of this forum - Please add something useful instead of squabbling about who's got more information about this matter - neither of you need be so agressive towards one another...

ReputationRep:
    There are, of course, people with 10/11A*s who do also have social skills and a life. They're not all pale-faced geeks who can't talk to people.

To the original poster - good GCSEs are useful for Oxbridge but not essential. They will help though. Also note what has already been said about requiring three sciences for Cambridge. If you want to know any more, post in the Oxbridge forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    well you can try to ask people who are studying Medicine at Cambridge and they will tell you the same thing I did. I even got the rep for the post I posted on ur thread, because someone actually agreed with me. If you have these cousings studying at Oxbridge, why dont you go and ask them instead of creating threads in GCSE section trying to know an answer from people, who have never done it and dont know much about it?
    why rely on one opinion when you have the oppurtunity to listen to many logical and considered opinions?

If you have a problem with me or this thread, why on earth are you wasting your time? no one is forcing you. This wasn't an argument. This was a simple request to solve some ignorance on my behalf, and there isnt a better way of doing than by listening to many other opinions. Why do you take it so personally?

I'm intrigued by your reaction-It'd be great if you could explain.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.