Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    why rely on one opinion when you have the oppurtunity to listen to many logical and considered opinions?

If you have a problem with me or this thread, why on earth are you wasting your time? no one is forcing you. This wasn't an argument. This was a simple request to solve some ignorance on my behalf, and there isnt a better way of doing than by listening to many other opinions. Why do you take it so personally?

I'm intrigued by your reaction-It'd be great if you could explain.
    lol.I still think people who are studying GCSEs at the moment, wont have as many clues as your cousins. As Helenia said, you should post in Oxbridge section.I m not taking anything personally and havent got a problem with you. I was just trying to give you advise.Sorry if i offended you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol.I still think people who are studying GCSEs at the moment, wont have as many clues as your cousins. As Helenia said, you should post in Oxbridge section.I m not taking anything personally and havent got a problem with you. I was just trying to give you advise.Sorry if i offended you :p:
    This thread was intially created for those wanting to study med at oxbridge-so i'm guessing that those people have quite a good idea of their gcse grades and whether realistically oxbridge is possible (putting aside other factors). My cousin got 13A* and 6 A's at A level so he's not in much of a position however i was hoping for people in possibly similar positions to shrew their opnions.

You offended me by first criticising this thread and realy cheaply in the 'results day' thread with that comment how could it not be offensive? No enjoy's being patronised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    This thread was intially created for those wanting to study med at oxbridge-so i'm guessing that those people have quite a good idea of their gcse grades and whether realistically oxbridge is possible (putting aside other factors). My cousin got 13A* and 6 A's at A level so he's not in much of a position however i was hoping for people in possibly similar positions to shrew their opnions.

You offended me by first criticising this thread and realy cheaply in the 'results day' thread with that comment how could it not be offensive? No enjoy's being patronised.
    how would they know whether their grades would be enough for Oxbridge?
    this can give you better idea.http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.uk/profiles/
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    im not really arsed abt oxbridge coz i kno im gonna be a doctor. i might not go 2 oxbridge. its not the only uni in the UK. the unis dnt really care abt gcses its all abt ur A levels. gcses willl juss make ur application form look better.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've already made your point about IZZY! posting and whatever, maybe you should just leave it now, eh? But yeah, I've put my two cents in, hope I helped a bit. But I don't think you should be worrying right now, I mean the "decision" whether or not to study abroad, isn't going to happen for another two years is it? Enjoy the A-Levels first. Or at least do 'em!

There are, of course, people with 10/11A*s who do also have social skills and a life. They're not all pale-faced geeks who can't talk to people.
    Of course they're not all like that. I agree. *coughs* A majority. I'm kidding, there are loads of people out there who get 10 A*s who are fabulous people. I mean, if I got my predictions (I won't), I'm effectively in that category!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... Well, Zhivago, if you look at it like... (Only joking :p: ). Similarly, I'm also (hopefully) going to be in that catergory, and I'm not a completely uncharismatic nerd who hasn't seen the light of day for the past 3 years :p: !!

ReputationRep:
    Just the last two!!! :p: :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    You needed a LOT of smilies to pass that one off! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Erm, I hate to break it to you, but isn't 6 As at GCSE like quite literally a legal requirement or something to do Medicine?
    I said I wasn't expecting one A* not A. Of course it's important to have quite a few A grades at GCSEs in your hands if you want to apply to med school, but if you don't...it's not the end of the world. There are many possibilities out there, even for med.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I think you've already made your point about IZZY! posting and whatever, maybe you should just leave it now, eh? But yeah, I've put my two cents in, hope I helped a bit. But I don't think you should be worrying right now, I mean the "decision" whether or not to study abroad, isn't going to happen for another two years is it? Enjoy the A-Levels first. Or at least do 'em!
    I don't think i made myself clear! I'm going abroad straight fater GCSE's! That's why it was bothering me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to do medecine at cambridge, and i'm looking at 9/10 A*s

ReputationRep:
    You should be worrying about your AS Levels (well, not yet, but this time next year), as they are nore important, and so so different!
    I'm not scientific at all and managed to get A*A* in GCSE Science; you just need to be able to REVISE, whereas at Advanced Level you have to apply ur revision to very different, very diverse situations.

Chill out and enjoy the Summer- there's a lot of water to go under the bridge yet!

ReputationRep:
    it's not juss about teh grades especially for medicine, my friend got 14 A*s and 5 As at A-Level and he got rejected by oxbridge, mind you he got into nottingham in the end, which in my opinion would be way better.

ReputationRep:
    some unis do look at ur gcse gardes, especially if there are loads of people applying who are on str8 a's at as level. in in year 13 and my friend got 10 a* at GCSE and is predicted a's in maths and 3 sciences and a level, and oxford and cambridge stil didnt give him a place to do medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chellieosborn)
    some unis do look at ur gcse gardes, especially if there are loads of people applying who are on str8 a's at as level. in in year 13 and my friend got 10 a* at GCSE and is predicted a's in maths and 3 sciences and a level, and oxford and cambridge stil didnt give him a place to do medicine!
    Did he get an interview? Perhaps his interview wasn't too special.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with this thread...
    Why is it so bad to want to get very high grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    it's not juss about teh grades especially for medicine, my friend got 14 A*s and 5 As at A-Level and he got rejected by oxbridge, mind you he got into nottingham in the end, which in my opinion would be way better.
    I'd love to go to Nottingham, the problem is i already live there so i wouldn't get the true university experiance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    I personally believe that person who created this thread is sad.lol.GCSEs arent the end of the world.Oxbridge interviews most of the applicants and even...
    wrong.

firstly - "Oxbridge" are not geographically separated clones. (although Helenia & i, well.. :p: )

secondly - Oxford certainly don't interview "most" for medicine. as some people here have already said

the BMAT-GCSE-UCAS forms are being used for pre-interview selection (all detailed http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk ) - so basically, for Oxford, having oodles of A*s will take some pressure off the BMAT score you need to be guaranteed an interview, but, not having oodles of A*s doesn't mean you won't get one, just that your BMAT needs to be amazing, or details on your UCAS form (ref/PS) need to be pretty damn good, so you're added to the list after scrutinising those who don't make it initially.

the past few years they've been interviewing 2.5 people per place (so ~30-40% applicants i would imagine) & once you get an interview, i don't think your GCSE-BMAT is relevant anymore.

that said, most people i know who have been successful in getting offers previously do have pretty good GCSE results (no doubt the profile website probably shows the same trend) - so perhaps there is a tendency for the procedure to favour candidates who are good at exam type skills?

HTH

ReputationRep:
    or maybe it is that those who get striaght A's at a-level have good GCSE results, or mayber some people get mainly C's and D's and then jump to A grade as it gets progessively harder

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.