Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Oxbridge graduates can have their BA degree upgraded to a MA a year after graduation - but they have to pay for it.

I was wondering what people thought to this, how much it costs and has anybody actually done it?

ReputationRep:
    I believe most people do it, I think it has to be 7 years from matriculation, the charge is nominal, and it isn't a proper MA, it is unique to Oxbridge...It is a part of the tradition for it always used to be MA and not BA.

ReputationRep:
    Would employers know it wasn't a 'proper' MA?

ReputationRep:
    Yes because it has (Oxon) written after it
    Cos you can't do a regular MA at Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    yes of course they know - as soon as you see MA (Cantab) or MA (Oxon) you know...Unless they are completely clueless, and then they don't deserve to employ people :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its just another ones of those things that makes Oxbridge extra special...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - it seems Josh has an MA :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yes because it has (Oxon) written after it
    Cos you can't do a regular MA at Oxford...
    I know plenty of fellow oxford grduates doing MA's....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Holder)
    I know plenty of fellow oxford grduates doing MA's....
    It's unlikely they are doing MAs - rather that they are doing MScs, MSts, MPhils but not MA as that's an Ox degree you get (eventually) after your BA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    I've heard that Oxbridge graduates can have their BA degree upgraded to a MA a year after graduation - but they have to pay for it.

I was wondering what people thought to this, how much it costs and has anybody actually done it?
    You, sir, have no idea what you're talking about. You do not pay to receive your MA. And graduate is entitled to receive it 21 terms after matriculation. You arge charged a fee of £10 to cover administration costs. Given the university will spend more than that per person on putting on a graduation lunch, let alone organising the actual ceremony, it'd be closer to reality to say the university pays you to receive your MA after all that hard work you put in as an undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    I believe most people do it, I think it has to be 7 years from matriculation, the charge is nominal, and it isn't a proper MA, it is unique to Oxbridge...It is a part of the tradition for it always used to be MA and not BA.
    Not just Oxbridge. Dublin University (ie Trinity College) does it too. But 25 years after graduating I still haven't got round to paying for it!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, ok; I was just thinking of British unis, 'cause I'm rather clueless elsewhere
    Hmm, I'm not actually sure of Scotland, so many just English unis :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    Cool, ok; I was just thinking of British unis, 'cause I'm rather clueless elsewhere
    Hmm, I'm not actually sure of Scotland, so many just English unis :p:

Dublin University was founded on the Oxbridge model in 1592 and Trinity is its first and only constituent college. It was a British university for a long time. The older Scottish universities tend to award MAs as their primary degrees.

ReputationRep:
    So is the MA worthless? Do you get one even if you do a fourth year and get an Msc? (I mean do you get to go back 3 1/2 years after you leave and do the ceremony thing?) My dad has an MA and people always assume he went to Oxbridge but he actually worked for it.

ReputationRep:
    So I will actually end up with an MEng and an MA (provided I survive)!!! - Isn't there some clause about you having to not be sent to prison before you receive it, or is that another product of the infinitely amusing Oxbridge rumour mill?

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to commit suicide (successfully) before you recieve it .... it's a rigourously enforced law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Holder)
    You're not allowed to commit suicide (successfully) before you recieve it .... it's a rigourously enforced law
    So 'suicide sunday' is in fact a cunning ploy to stop people getting MAs

ReputationRep:
    Personally I have no intention of taking it, as it is not earned. Were I an employer I would look unfavourably on anyone who claimed to have a Masters degree when in fact they did not, even if their own university facilitated the practice.

ReputationRep:
    any decent employer should know the quality of an MA (Cantab) or Ma (Oxon), if they don't, then frankly we should be aiming higher in terms of careers. I think it IS deserved; why should we be entitled to any less, after doing double the amount of study that people at other well-reputed universities do? for linguistics, i covered a whole module in one term that people at a very good red-brick cover in one YEAR. the discrepancy should be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master'...dge_and_Dublin:
    The only real significance of these degrees is that they historically conferred voting rights in University elections, and certain other privileges e.g. the right to dine at high table.
    As other people have said, employers are probably aware that MAs from Oxbridge are pretty useless. It's not really a question of being deserved or not - it's just one of those weird Oxbridge tradition things. I fully intend to get one just so I have to buy another gown :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.