Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of smaller employers won't be aware. Of the list of important facts recruiters must know, it's not exactly at the top. These people are essentially deceived.

Doing more work than other people at Bachelor level does not mean that one deserves a title of Master. The "discrepancy" is already taken into account via the higher reputation of Oxbridge; having "BA (Oxon)" or "BA (Cantab)" on your CV gets you the deserved recognition without needing to claim an MA.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of writing "(Cantab)" or "(Oxon)" after this kind of MA is to distinguish it from a proper MA - and I believe it is therefore a requirement. It's not usually written after "BA".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    The whole point of writing "(Cantab)" or "(Oxon)" after this kind of MA is to distinguish it from a proper MA - and I believe it is therefore a requirement. It's not usually written after "BA".
    That's not true. Firstly, people name the awarding institution for many different degrees, not just an MA. BAs included. Secondly, it isn't only Oxford and Cambridge degrees which are tagged in this way, everyone does it. e.g. BA (Lond). Obviously, graduates from Oxbridge are keen to let people know where they graduated from, and most of them have MAs, so it's understandable if you see MA (Cantab) more frequently than BA (Cantab).

Cambridge has other degrees which are similar to what most people think of as an MA. It may be confusing, but MAs have been awarded by Cambridge since long before the modern MA was invented, so I see no reason why Cambridge should have to change its ways now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    That's not true. Firstly, people name the awarding institution for many different degrees, not just an MA. BAs included. Secondly, it isn't only Oxford and Cambridge degrees which are tagged in this way, everyone does it. e.g. BA (Lond). Obviously, graduates from Oxbridge are keen to let people know where they graduated from, and most of them have MAs, so it's understandable if you see MA (Cantab) more frequently than BA (Cantab).
    Ah, I see. Perhaps my school is just very sensible then as it lists MA (Cantab) and MA (Oxon) from its teachers but doesn't do the same for other universities. I'd mistakenly taken that and information from previous discussions about Oxbridge MAs and thought that this was specifically to differentiate them from normal MAs. I'm sure it is true though that these MUST be listed as MA (Cantab) because they're not a proper MA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    Ah, I see. Perhaps my school is just very sensible then as it lists MA (Cantab) and MA (Oxon) from its teachers but doesn't do the same for other universities. I'd mistakenly taken that and information from previous discussions about Oxbridge MAs and thought that this was specifically to differentiate them from normal MAs.
    My school was a little erratic. Without fail, the Oxbridge teachers made sure we knew it on the Speech Day programmes. Other teachers mostly showed where they graduated from but some didn't, so I guess it's optional.

You may be right about MAs from Cambridge and Oxford needing to carry the tag to show they weren't earned in the same way as other MAs. Personally, I would do it as a matter of honesty anyway. I haven't heard of anyone being fined for not doing so though, and I don't see how they could ever regulate this sort of thing!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not like it matters for us anyway Steve :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, it's not like it matters for us anyway Steve :p:
    You've got a point!

ReputationRep:
    *very jealous of the ridiculous number of letters that will appear after your names....*

ReputationRep:
    Is this MA for everyone who has matriculated, or only for those who has done a 3 year or 4 year BA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    *very jealous of the ridiculous number of letters that will appear after your names....*
    Dr Helenia MA MB BChir (Cantab) :p:

Not yet though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaGuy)
    Is this MA for everyone who has matriculated, or only for those who has done a 3 year or 4 year BA?
    You have to have graduated - I'm not sure whether a 2.1 is required?

ReputationRep:
    btw, is it MA (hons) (Cantab), MA (Cantab) (hons), do you leave the hons off (and leave your ordinariness in the dark until they realise that you only had a year at Cambridge)... and then what happens with other degrees. Presumably if you did your BA at Cambridge, and then an MSc in London, and then a PhD in Cambridge it would be MA (Cantab) (hons or not :P) MSc, PhD (Cantab).

Bizarre, and very geeky of me to actually care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    btw, is it MA (hons) (Cantab), MA (Cantab) (hons), do you leave the hons off (and leave your ordinariness in the dark until they realise that you only had a year at Cambridge)... and then what happens with other degrees. Presumably if you did your BA at Cambridge, and then an MSc in London, and then a PhD in Cambridge it would be MA (Cantab) (hons or not :P) MSc, PhD (Cantab).

Bizarre, and very geeky of me to actually care.
    Only a guess, but I would expect it to be written:

Steveee MA, PhD (Cantab) MSc (London)

But I can't be sure. I haven't noticed anyone writing (hons) after an Oxbridge degree - maybe it is generally assumed you got honours if you went to Oxbridge, since very few people don't.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd expect it just to be Dr. Steveee Once you've got your doctorate, your bachelor and masters' degrees aren't quite so relevant (assuming they're in the same subjects)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Personally I'd expect it just to be Dr. Steveee Once you've got your doctorate, your bachelor and masters' degrees aren't quite so relevant (assuming they're in the same subjects)...
    Stuff that, it's all about having as long and impressive a name as possible.

ReputationRep:
    You mean, as long and pretentious a name as possible I expect I'm probably not alone in being distinctly unimpressed by long strings of letters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    Only a guess, but I would expect it to be written:

Steveee MA, PhD (Cantab) MSc (London)

But I can't be sure. I haven't noticed anyone writing (hons) after an Oxbridge degree - maybe it is generally assumed you got honours if you went to Oxbridge, since very few people don't.
    You can only write (hons) or (Oxon) not both. At the end of the day you can stick as many letters after your name as you want, it isn't going to impress the people that matter.

The Oxbridge 'pay to upgrade' MA is one of the many unfair anachronisms in our higher education system (like the scottish MA's), lets get rid and have a more understandable system. An Undergraduate Master's degree should have a significantly greater research componenent than a Bachelors degree, as well as a higher workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    You can only write (hons) or (Oxon) not both. At the end of the day you can stick as many letters after your name as you want, it isn't going to impress the people that matter.

The Oxbridge 'pay to upgrade' MA is one of the many unfair anachronisms in our higher education system (like the scottish MA's), lets get rid and have a more understandable system. An Undergraduate Master's degree should have a significantly greater research componenent than a Bachelors degree, as well as a higher workload.
    This has been argued to death. I can see the unfairness of Oxbridge graduates getting an automatic MA, but this issue often gets grossly misconstrued, as if it is some cunning plan by Oxbridge old boys to outdo graduates from other universities. The tradition exists because Oxbridge defined an MA... they were the only two universities in England at the time! The Scottish universities probably have the same tradition for the same reason (I'm not a historian so I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of this). So it is not a fake MA, it is an MA as it was originally intended to be. If you are suggesting that a uniform system be set up then that's not a bad idea, but I don't believe in chasing down individual unis - it should be a change for uniformity across the board.

You mean, as long and pretentious a name as possible I expect I'm probably not alone in being distinctly unimpressed by long strings of letters!
    You're probably not alone in taking TSR comments too seriously either!

ReputationRep:
    I'd expected the wink to show how seriously I took it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd expected the wink to show how seriously I took it :p:
    Sorry, a bit mean of me to pick on you for stating your opinion anyway.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.