Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Can anyone post up some brief notes on wine-making please. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    biology is hard...i cant remember everything and they always put somethin new so cant just revise from past papers ...food science messed me up first time...i hardly knew anythin for food science and did really good in core bit of it...overall got 66...i only just started bio 4 and 5... the exam is on tuesday...got 3 days to revise all of biology...luckily for maths the next day i only need around 50% for p3 to get A...so thats some relief...
    anyway...sorry i cant help u out...havent started food science...just the core and some of unit 5

ReputationRep:
    Theres not much u need to know about wine just that alcohol is produced by the anaerobic respiration of yeast. You could use the yeast Sacchromyces Cerevisiae which is also the yeast used in bread making.

ReputationRep:
    Here are my notes on the whole food science module I hope u can read them.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Here are the rest of the notes
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    urgh y didnt i make revision notes as i went thru the course!! i am screwed so glad i dnt need a grade for bio! so for the "roles and sources" of nutrients bit are people just learning the basics, not silly things like "oligosaccharides" for carbohydrates?

ReputationRep:
    wow...thats what i call brief notes! Thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    as retarded as this may sound, i seem to have gone through the whole biology course without knowing a clear definition of "metabolism". Anyone able to enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    i know metabollic pathway which is sort of similar

a set of enzyme catalysed reactions
    may be anabolic (e.g. protein synthesis) or catabolic (e.g. digestion of carbohydrates)

i think metabolism refers to all the biological reactions that occur in a cell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    as retarded as this may sound, i seem to have gone through the whole biology course without knowing a clear definition of "metabolism". Anyone able to enlighten me?
    Metabolism is a combination of anabolism and catabolism. Anabolism is the making of complex molecules from simple molecules and catabolism is the opposite as the breakdown of the complex molecules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meawinner1)
    Metabolism is a combination of anabolism and catabolism. Anabolism is the making of complex molecules from simple molecules and catabolism is the opposite as the breakdown of the complex molecules.
    thanks thats helpful!! just hope i can remember everything!! thats the annoying thing about bio, i dnt find it hard to understand the theory, its just remembering all of it!!
    has anyone got any tips of mneumonics for remebering the biotechnology bits on production of soya sauce, wine making etc i find it really hard to remember!

ReputationRep:
    Not for that I read in a book Keep Plucking Chickens Or Fear Getting Sacked for the classification system.

ReputationRep:
    I guess metabolism is just the sum total of all the chemical reactions which are occuring in the body.

ANABOLISM + CATABOLISM = METABOLISM

ReputationRep:
    what are lactic acid bacteria? bacteria which produce lactic acid?

ReputationRep:
    lactic acid bacteria is like lactobacillus which converts lacotse to lactic acid during the products of yoghurt. remeber there are 2 bacterias used in this process.

ReputationRep:
    Which fermentations produce lactic acid?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.