The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LC01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4098172.stm
Everyone who feels enriched put your hands up now.

We killed people we thought were witches as well in times past in quite nasty ways.
yes courtesy of the christian church and its demonising of witches,
this is sick and wicca of whom a practitioner is called a witch does not involve human sacrifice and has nothing to do with the devil. what is happening here is misguided fools who need to be stamped out
Reply 3
juueru_chou
We killed people we thought were witches as well in times past in quite nasty ways.

how many years ago? I think we are well and truly past that now.
Reply 4
juueru_chou

So, because we did it, it's acceptable, eh?
Reply 5
LC01

but I thought that our heritage filled you with pride, after all, it was us Brits doing it.
What gives the pastors even the right to decide wheter they are witches or not???

what do they do walk around the village saying that child is a which we must beet them to either near dead or to death.

People need to learn that randomly killing innocent kids just isn't right. in any religion for what ever reason.
Reply 7
What's your point, Chou? Whilst you're trying to sound anti-racist and anti-xenephobic, you're really coming across as someone who's just picking a fight with the BNP supporter.

Do you actually believe it's okay to torture children and traffic them for transmitting sexual diseases? Is it a part of "their culture" which we should not interfere with?
Reply 8
foxo

Of course it isn't, but LC01 is using it as a reason for supremacy.
Reply 9
foxo
What's your point, Chou? Whilst you're trying to sound anti-racist and anti-xenephobic, you're really coming across as someone who's just picking a fight with the BNP supporter.

Do you actually believe it's okay to torture children and traffic them for transmitting sexual diseases? Is it a part of "their culture" which we should not interfere with?

of course not, I think it is a dispicable practice and needs to be stamped out, but the problem is that whereas we have cast aside most of our supersitions and myths about various things, people in Africa have generally not.
Reply 10
shadowkin
i doubt thats part of their culture. you have a warped view of culture otherwise.

hes not picking a fight hes just showing that there are plenty of examples of hysteria, and it doesnt matter if it western or non-western.

I know it's not part of their culture. I thought that perhaps Chou was under the impression it may be, which would therefore make it acceptable in the eyes of some.

And I know that there are plenty of examples of hysteria, however, witch burning in this country is history, and is not really relevant in this modern example.
foxo
I know it's not part of their culture. I thought that perhaps Chou was under the impression it may be, which would therefore make it acceptable in the eyes of some.

And I know that there are plenty of examples of hysteria, however, witch burning in this country is history, and is not really relevant in this modern example.

Everything becomes history at some point, this ritualistic killings of suspected witches will eventually become history but that doesn't change the fact that it happened in a 'civilised' country.
Britain probably paved the way for it anyway. its in our past... in thre present.
Reply 13
juueru_chou
Of course it isn't, but LC01 is using it as a reason for supremacy.

No im not.
Reply 14
I don't know what your actually saying with your original post LC01? I mean yes, of course, killing is wrong, mutilation of traffiked children is wrong - I think that's kind of a given - so why the need to start a thread on it?
Reply 15
LC01

Really? There are people still alive who would have been killed for being jews.
So nobody feels 'enriched' then? :wink:

Does anybody think the country is impoverished by the presence of these animals?
Reply 17
ArthurOliver
So nobody feels 'enriched' then? :wink:

Does anybody think the country is impoverished by the presence of these animals?

Better that they're in a place where justice is more likely to be done? This whole thing is clearly meant to be some sort of negative reflection on African culture as a whole, to support the silly racial supremacy ******** of the BNP.

Let's talk about Myra Hindley - proud of that part of British Heritage?
Or the Amritsar Massacre... still filled with pride?

Individual events, practices or small groups of people do not make it acceptable (or even possible) to make judgements on the value of a culture or people as a whole.
LC01

You are ignoring the fact that Africa is at a different stage of it's social and political evolution to Britain, therefore it would be absurd to compare it directly by saying "oh but we are past that now". They will grow out of it in time as we did. Fact is, we also did it. Not so superior now are we LC01?
foxo

That is a deliberate perversion of the point that person was making. I think you know full well the motives of the original poster, and this person is pointing out the error in assuming that this sort of cruelty is entirely alien from our culture.

Latest

Trending

Trending