Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, just wondering if anyone is going to summer school this summer? I'm going to imperial to do life sciences for a week. If anyone else is could you post or pm me as i don't know anyone who's going yet and i've somehow got to find my way across the underground in london-i get so lost

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to LSE this week and Oxford in the summer. Good luck at Imperial!

ReputationRep:
    What is it?

ReputationRep:
    What is what?

ReputationRep:
    Summer school?

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to summer school before. i'd love to though. i got a letter about it. BUT, it was for people going to sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Oxford in year 10, East Anglia in year 11 and now (year 12) I'm going back to Oxford this year. I have no intention of applying to Oxbridge; I'm not bright enough, but I like free things. They're not especially useful if they're not tailored to the subject you definitely intend to study at University, but they're just a pleasant experience and these past few years have definitely alleviated my concerns about living at University.

ReputationRep:
    Sutton Trust? they wouldn't have accepted you if they didn't think you were vaguely "bright" enough though..?

one of the criteria:

...are plausible applicants for university places with a minimum of five A*/A grades at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    I went to Oxford in year 10, East Anglia in year 11 and now (year 12) I'm going back to Oxford this year. I have no intention of applying to Oxbridge; I'm not bright enough, but I like free things. They're not especially useful if they're not tailored to the subject you definitely intend to study at University, but they're just a pleasant experience and these past few years have definitely alleviated my concerns about living at University.
    yes I agree about free stuff. Last year I went to year 10 summer medical school at St. George and I loved the fact that we could buy any food and in any quantities we wanted.lol. Everything was free!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't do it through Sutton Trust, but through the Oxford Access Scheme (an internal scheme). The year 10 one was supposed to considered on grounds of ability, but I don't see how that worked because as far as I know no predicted grades were required (I wasn't predicted any A*s in my GCSEs anyway). I think they just chose on the basis of a good reference and answering some very vague questions, like "What would you do in such and such a situation?" or "Describe an experience you learnt from".

The East Anglia summer school was done through a London, inner city scheme type thing, but I can't remember its name.

The summer school at Oxford I'm about to go to isn't to do with ability either. I couldn't apply for their "top" one for potential Oxbridge candidates because I didn't meet their predicted grade requirements of AAB and above. I applied for their lower grade boundary one, which although based at Oxford is a general introduction to University, even though I still didn't meet the grade requirements for that. I don't know why I applied; it was a bit stupid in hindsight really, and straight afterwards I felt like an idiot that I had the audacity to apply for something I had no chance of getting. So I didn't get a teacher to fill out the reference, but somehow I still got a place.

ReputationRep:
    My friend went on the medical school one when he was in year 11. He wasn't sure he wanted to be a doctor before that, but it really convinced him! I think it might have had something to do with the fact they gave him a free stethoscope though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    No, I didn't do it through Sutton Trust, but through the Oxford Access Scheme (an internal scheme)....
    ah i see.

i only know about the admissions office ones (which are the sutton trust, aim higher & higher education) which are perhaps even more "internal"! These are officially organised through the uni AO staff & other departments etc., whereas technically the Access Scheme is actually a more student-based independent organisation (.org website..) like Target Schools i think, which is a branch of OUSU/the student union.

anyway, free stuff is all well & good. but please remember that these are fairly hard to get into & plenty of others were disappointed - so do appreciate your opportunity & all the hard-work various staff/undergrads put into organising them for you.. rather than just appreciating the catering staff and any material freebies... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi I went to Imperial summer school last year! You are going to be at the Wye campus right? Last year it was really great don't worry about going on your own as I did and made new friends and everything really quickly (one of which happened to also be from Norwich btw). The London Underground is not as complicated as it looks and it is easy to get to Imperial - South Kensington station is on the District, Circle and Picadilly lines and Imperial college is only about a 2 minute walk which didn't stop me from getting lost lol.

*daniELLE*: I applied to LSE's as my first choice last year but ended up at Imperial

ReputationRep:
    I'm at LSE now (yesterday, today and tomorrow). Yesterday, I met a few people, but most people knew each other. Today, however, I met some nice people, so that was good. I've learnt quite a lot though, and I'm finding it very interesting, although it has made me not want to apply to the LSE.

Yellow Walkie Talkie - I know you! He he. You might not remember me. The Oxford summer school that you went to (ABC) - I'm going! Is it good? Tell me all about it! Where will I sleep? (Sorry, but I'm quite concerned about that!)

ReputationRep:
    You know me? Eeek, how?

Anyway, you sleep in a regular dorm room as any University student would. Word of warning: you might find random plasters or opened bottles of creme in your drawers which is a bit icky.. Males and females are on separate floors and all the rooms they use are grouped together so you'll just be down the hall from other people. What college will you be staying at? I was at St. Catherine's two years ago but since I'm at a totally different college this time (Pembroke) I think they probably change them around. St. Catherine's wasn't very nice as a location as it's a 60s built campus and most of the time didn't feel like I was at Oxford at all until we got into the main part of town. If the course is the same as before, you'll have taster sessions/lectures in a variety of different subjects. Some you get to choose and some might be for everyone. There's lots of presentation work (some of which got filmed ahh), which might sound daunting and irrelevant, but it's pretty good practise at having to think on your feet, as you'll have to do in interviews when the time comes. There's also a great deal of social activities; I think if I remember rightly we visited the Botanic gardens, a few parks, most of the prestiguous colleges and landmarks, museums, laser quest and there was a big disco/karaoke night on the last night. It wasn't just us when we were staying there as there was a big Canadian group of teenagers staying at the same place (another warning: please avoid moustached 17-year-old Canadians walking around at midnight with bongs and telling you that you suck because you're English) so maybe you'll have a variety of different people to meet, which is what University is all about anyway. It's basically a fairly authentic (as far as they can do) University experience, except they make you go to bed at a ridiculous time unless you're particularly sly and work your way around it, and you don't have to cook or worry about money!

ReputationRep:
    Yelwalkietalkie, I have PMed you.

ReputationRep:
    Iam off to the Oxford Access Scheme this summer - iam sooo exciting !!
    i might get to see u yelwalkietalkie - and by the way - why dont u think u'll get into oxbridge ? ur grades cant be that bad if they had accepted you for this summer school ...

ReputationRep:
    Which one are you going to Marie? There's two different ones for year 12s. I'm on the non-Oxford specific one (for people that aren't going to get into Oxbridge :P )

ReputationRep:
    u mean between PDSS: higher education or PDSS: oxford right ?
    if so, iam goin to the PDSS oxford
    iam soo excited - hope its gonna be good

ReputationRep:
    I went on a summer school at Oxford, it was a law specific one organised by the acess scheme. I had the best time, everyone was lovely. Have a great time anyone thats going

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.