The Student Room Group

Med Subjects

Hey i know that this is quite similar to another thread in here, but its to do with medicine. I have just finished my AS exams (i did biology, chemistry physics and theology) and am having real difficulty choosing what to continue. I only really want to take on 3 for A2, i know its a possibility to carry them all on, but i have lots of other commitments, especially music, and don't think i cud cope. The choice i have is inbetween physics and theology. I previously thought that uni's would probably prefer physics, because its more sciency and watever, but i emailed lots of them and most of them dont mind, infact UCL prefers you to have an arty A2. I prefer theology as a subject and the teachers in that department are much better than the physics one's at my school. But im still not sure wether dropping physics would be the right thing to do. Although both subjects have relevance to medicine, i just can't work out which one. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks guys
Reply 1
I would wait until results day to decide which one to carry on. The grade is the most important thing than the subject in some ways.
Reply 2
i'd go for theology (not just coz i hate physics) but most uni's prefer you to have an arts subject as well. Also kind of makes you look more interesting.

However, if you change your mind from medicine, physics will leave more doors open to you, whereas I don't believe theology will get you onto many courses.

Choose what you really want, you're more likely to put the work in that way, and therefore get the grade, which for medicine is very important.
Reply 3
Realistically Physics without Maths doesn't mean much for courses at universities that involve physics (even most unis want Physics and Maths A levels in order to study Physics). Got with whichever you'll perform better in.
Reply 4
I'd go for the one you enjoy most/one you're better at. Not just based on whatever your AS results might be (for they can misslead :wink: ) but generally.

You're more likely to get a good mark in it! And lets face it at the end of the day, that's what matters, not what subject it's in. You have to meet any offer you might get...
Reply 5
You sound like you've pretty much decided in terms of weighing up the pros and cons. Not many people do theology A level, so you'd stand out in that respect. It would give you something to talk about and it sounds like you enjoy it more!

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:
Reply 6
I would probs go for theology. Look at the subject which you enjoy most and which you think you will be able to handle for the next year. All depends on your marks really.

And it's true that UCL do prefer an Arty subject, so (if it were me), I'd go for Theology.
You only need to carry on with Physics if you're going to apply to Cambridge (they require chemistry, biology and either maths or physics... however, this doesn't apply for oxford i don't think.) So if you're not wanting to go to Cambridge, choose the one you enjoy most.

Latest

Trending

Trending