Turn on thread page Beta

''Comedy isn't funny anymore.'' Discuss. watch

Obviously comedy is funny. It's probably defined that way, or something.

But what is funny now? I mean, back in't day, a bloke could walk on stage with a pint, and tell stories about his obese mother-in-law that would bring the house down. But that wouldn't go down well today. The same with jokes about "darkies", as Bernard Manning would put it, that I am ashamed to say even I have quite a few.

Then it was alternative comedy... which was basically the complete opposite of the above. Professional-looking types in suits telling people how the guys with pints were *******s, if I remember it correctly, which I probably don't. A lot of it was based on the rather elastic concept of "irony", which is really a difficult one to place. But then after that, people could get away with jokes on "darkies" and cancer, because they didn't mean it, it was satire, irony, whatever. The whole thing confused me right proper, I tell you.

So. Are we in an age of irony? Or post-irony? But doesn't that just mean traditionalism, or is it a satire thereof? What the **** do these words even mean? Someone help me, my brain is about to go up in smoke.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    I don't get it.
    bathroom's that way *points*

ReputationRep:
    hes just saying 'comedy' is crap now ._.
    its goes too far now... they just do sometimes completely stupid and idiotic and its suddnely funny =/ but in reality its not...

I don't get it.
    Nor do I. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know. comedy has changed/improved a lot. somethings i dont find funny at all.

ReputationRep:
    Scrubs is funny. I briefly wanted to be a doctor because of it. For about 20 minutes today, in fact. Then I decided that real hospitals probably aren't like that, so I changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    things which are funny nowadays arent funny for everyone, it has become a lot more sophisticated. compare the office which incidently i didnt find funny to laurel and hardy- simple comedy.

ReputationRep:
    "Oh, hey, y-you ever watch that show "Scrubs"? Yeah, Lois had it on the other night, and I was kinda fading in and out, but, uh, you know, I was watchin' and I'm wonderin'... Which one is the funny guy?"

Also, is telling jokes just pass-ay these days? Or are we back to the point where it's funny, either in an ironic or retro way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Nor do I. :confused:
    Do you listen to radio 4?

Living proof that comedy is alive and well

I don't like a lot of new stuff, but a lot of the R4 stuff is pure genius

ReputationRep:
    No I don't see how comedy could ever not be funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    Do you listen to radio 4?

Living proof that comedy is alive and well

I don't like a lot of new stuff, but a lot of the R4 stuff is pure genius
    Radio 4 rules. So much good stuff has started there that people don't realise (Little Britain, League of Gentlemen, Goodness Gracious Me to name but three) , and then you've got possibly the funniest show ever - I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

ReputationRep:
    Radio 4 rules. So much good stuff has started there that people don't realise (Little Britain, League of Gentlemen, Goodness Gracious Me to name but three) , and then you've got possibly the funniest show ever - I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.
    Mornington Crescent last week had me in stitches with the GPS

ReputationRep:
    Mornington Crescent last week had me in stitches with the GPS
    I've got out of the habit of listening to it at uni, but my dad'll have taped them so I'll listen to them when I get back. It's amazing how it's been going so long yet is still so funny.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of utter crap nowadays, but Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Harry Enfield, Chewin' The Fat, David Baddiel, Family Guy, Little Britain, Frasier and South Park are the things that tend to get me laughing.

ReputationRep:
    I've got out of the habit of listening to it at uni, but my dad'll have taped them so I'll listen to them when I get back. It's amazing how it's been going so long yet is still so funny.
    It might still be on listen again - it's one of the best ones for a long time, so it was spectacular!!!

Incidentally, getting back on topic, I found I liked little Britain on the Radio, but hate it on TV!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    There's a lot of utter crap nowadays, but Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Harry Enfield, Chewin' The Fat, Frasier, David Baddiel, Family Guy and South Park are the things that tend to get me laughing.
    Hitchhikers Guide, Monty Python, Have I got News for You, Two Ronnies, Yes Minister, The Simpsons = my favourites (not so keen on family guy myself

ReputationRep:
    Hitchhikers Guide, Monty Python, Have I got News for You, Two Ronnies, Yes Minister, The Simpsons = my favourites (not so keen on family guy myself
    Oops, somehow forgot about Have I Got News, despite having watched it earlier tonight. Oh, and the League of Gentlemen. You've got to love the local shop for local people.

ReputationRep:
    I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.