Unwanted man in my house! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark S
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok hypothetical situation; a man is in my house, randomly, looking through my dvd collection and i approach him with an air rifle. Will I or will I not get into trouble with the law for shooting the man in the head (not killing him)?
TOD100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If it's reasonable force, no.

Motherless Child
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
probably not, can't really hurt someone with an air rifle, and they shouldn't be in your house anyway

mind you, that man did get in trouble for shooting one of two pikeys that were burgling him, he did kill him mind

EDIT: Air rifle? reasonable force? any force?
Mark S
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Scubar)
probably not, can't really hurt someone with an air rifle, and they shouldn't be in your house anyway

mind you, that man did get in trouble for shooting one of two pikeys that were burgling him, he did kill him mind
Yeah precisely, Werent the new laws made after that trial? I heard from someone that just because they're in your house, doesnt mean you can harm them because its breach of human rights.......hmmm
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmm well the law does tend to favour the person who breaks into someone else's house a lot of the time.. sad really :eek:
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
make them turn around to face you and hit them with something, hard.
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
bloody pc, takes the fun out of everything, whatever happened to an englishmans home is his castle and all that, if they are stealing our stuff why should we let them? i wouldn't actually do anything but i'd get a hockey mask and a chainsaw and keep them close by, then go down and scare the buggers out
sqa7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i thought you could smash the **** out of any trespasser now
Philosophical
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
how about tying them to a chair and making them watch youwatch TV or something? thats gotta b a better deterrant...heckoey masks are kool, but being that mindlessly bored is just scary :-)
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i agree with some of what you say, but instead of making them watch you, make them watch every disney film there is, over and over again until their eyeballs bleed
UpliftMof0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
just make sure you dont let him get out of the house. you're only aloud to chase him for i think 200 metres and in that limit you are only aloud to tackle him to the ground or punch him up to a maximum of twice to disable him. (add a /her to all hims to make it politically correct) I dont think you could shoot him in head, but perhaps in stomach or something? or leg. somewhere non-lethal so he couldnt claim you 'were' trying to kill him. I think you can cover yourself if you have a sign up saying: warning trespassers will be shot at.
Did you know that if you say put spikes on the top of a wall to prevent people climbing over, you need to put a sign saying they are there otherwise you are liable for damages (theres precedent for that one i believe)
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nothing in law has been changed at all.

You have always been allowed to use "reasonable force" against a burglar. What constitutes "reasonable" is down to interpretation, and obviously depends entirely on the circumstances. If a burglar is threatening violence and has a baseball bat, then reasonable force is going to be different to an unarmed kid nicking a DVD.

I don't know about other people, but I think I'd actually find it difficult to actually shoot someone or crack them around the head with a bat unless I was really pushed...

I believe somebody attempted to reference the Tony Martin case - now that was a tough one, because he had been a victim of burglary many times previously. But he shot the young man as he was running away, in the back. The crime of burglary, although heinous should probably not carry the death sentence, certainly not unarmed burglars fleeing the scene of the crime. The end result of that case was probably just - Tony Martin served time because he really shouldn't have killed someone, but the time he served was greatly depreciated.
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
treat thy neighbour like you would like to be treated.

**** that shoot the bugger! dont kill him obviously, but do shoot him, if you will a "warning message"
andyukguy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Flukey)
treat thy neighbour like you would like to be treated.

**** that shoot the bugger! dont kill him obviously, but do shoot him, if you will a "warning message"
Always shoot to kill, perhaps not the first time perhaps maim them so they suffer maximum pain, give them a good kicking, p*ss on them then shoot them in the head just before the police arrive.

Everybody's happy that way.

Andrew
DaveManUK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Markus505)
Ok hypothetical situation; a man is in my house, randomly, looking through my dvd collection and i approach him with an air rifle. Will I or will I not get into trouble with the law for shooting the man in the head (not killing him)?
okay. air rifle, shooting man in the head, not killing him... not gonna happen is it?

is your dvd collection worth a man's life?
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by andyukguy)
Always shoot to kill, perhaps not the first time perhaps maim them so they suffer maximum pain, give them a good kicking, p*ss on them then shoot them in the head just before the police arrive.

Everybody's happy that way.

Andrew
hehe

*quite worried* :eek: :eek:

Are you a serial killer by any chance? :toofunny:

lol
andyukguy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DaveManUK)
is your dvd collection worth a man's life?
That's the wrong attitude to have now isn't it, your attitude will waste precious seconds while you evaluate whether [insert object the black guy (assumption) is trying to steal] is worth his life or not. Just assume that because he's broken into your house that he's up to no good and therefore could be putting your life in danger.

Then follow my rules in my previous post.

Andrew
andyukguy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Flukey)
hehe

*quite worried* :eek: :eek:

Are you a serial killer by any chance? :toofunny:

lol
Hehe, not at all - I just don't think people who break into houses and steal people's hard earned property should be afforded any special treatment, certainly no human rights while they're in the act.

Andrew
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
That's the wrong attitude to have now isn't it, your attitude will waste precious seconds while you evaluate whether [insert object the black guy (assumption) is trying to steal] is worth his life or not. Just assume that because he's broken into your house that he's up to no good and therefore could be putting your life in danger.

Andrew
haha your philosophy on this is so good. I disagree but i love it never the less!

:rofl: assumption black guy
DaveManUK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Andrew
but what if it was somebody you know? do u just shoot any thing that moves?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads