Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish to study law and have an interest in the commercial aspect of law. What is the difference between an llb course and a ba course? As i rang the bar council and they said they accepted ba courses. What is the difference between a commercial barrister and a commercial solicitor? Your help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    LLB - Bachelor of Laws ('pure' Law degree)

BA - Bachelor of Arts (Oxbridge degrees are actually 'BA Jurisprudence' - so some BAs are very respectable - Nottingham has an option to do LLB/BA I believe. However, in general, BAs will often be Law + Accounting/ Business/ Criminology etc - and ON THE WHOLE, these degrees are provided by less-reputable Universities; and are not as highly regarded as an LLB from the same Uni; unless you are looking to go into Law and Accounting, or whatever).

I don't know the precise differences between commercial barristers and solicitors; but I expect the main difference is the same as the the roles of any other barrister or solicitor:

- Solicitors generally deal with clients, 'paper' aspects of the law - a commercial solicitor will often work in the City; and will deal with compex transactions/disputes etc between companies
    - Barristers are advocates - they present cases in court, either as defence or prosecution in a criminal trial; or act for one of the litigants in a civil action.

Meh, I'm tired - might add more in the morning. Hope that helps though. x

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanx. from what you have said would a commercial sollicitor earn more than a commerical barrister? i think solicitor sounds more interesting cos i am interested in advising companies, shares, transactions etc. and barrister seems to be more court based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren18)
    However, in general, BAs will often be Law + Accounting/ Business/ Criminology etc - and ON THE WHOLE, these degrees are provided by less-reputable Universities; and are not as highly regarded as an LLB from the same Uni; unless you are looking to go into Law and Accounting, or whatever).
    What about a joint Law LLB? Edinburgh University provides the following:

Law & Accountancy (LLB)
    Law & Business Studies (LLB)
    Law & Celtic (LLB)
    Law & Economics (LLB)
    Law & French (LLB)
    Law & German (LLB)
    Law & History (LLB)
    Law & Politics (LLB)
    Law & Social Anthropology (LLB)
    Law & Social Policy (LLB)
    Law & Sociology (LLB)
    Law & Spanish (LLB)
    Law (Graduate Entry) (LLB)
    Law (Ordinary & Honours) (LLB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudgetherabbit)
    yeah thanx. from what you have said would a commercial sollicitor earn more than a commerical barrister? i think solicitor sounds more interesting cos i am interested in advising companies, shares, transactions etc. and barrister seems to be more court based.
    It depends. As far as I'm aware, a barristers have the potential to earn more, on the whole. However, I may be completely wrong.

In England, barristers earn from £19,000 to £260,000 - top barristers earning from £1,000,000 to £3,000,000 per annum.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of slary would an average-good barrister earn at about 35? Im expecting salry increases with experience? I know i'd prefer an older , more experienced barrrister representing me, so i guess they are in higher demmand for bigger cases= Higher wages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciari)
    What kind of salary would an average-good barrister earn at about 35? Im expecting salry increases with experience? I know i'd prefer an older , more experienced barrrister representing me, so i guess they are in higher demmand for bigger cases= Higher wages?
    It varies so much that there's not much point in averaging it out. As a general rule; a good barrister at whatever age will earn more than the vast majority of people at the same stage in their careers.

Oh and maybe it's just me, but why do people care about the money side of things so much?!

You have to actually get to the point of having a job first (after A levels, Uni, TC/Pupillage)... at this point I think it's more wise to enjoy the subject itself - and therefore get the best results possible, which will then make the top jobs more accessible.

There's little point in saying 'oh barristers can earn £2,000,000 a year ' - this is probably only true for 0.001% of the Bar - people shouldn't be studying Law for the financial potential, 99.999% of Barristers will never earn that amount.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and maybe it's just me, but why do people care about the money side of things so much?!
    Ya get me?

Maybe I will be a barrister later on in life, when I'm in the House of Commons, since most of them are anyway lol

Dreams are nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Ya get me?

Maybe I will be a barrister later on in life, when I'm in the House of Commons, since most of them are anyway lol

Dreams are nice
    Lol... dreams are lovely as long as they're kept in their place... lots of people seem to think that barristers all earn ridiculously gross amounts of money - which is not true at all.

Anyway, I'm sure our dreams will come true!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, as Alan Clarke noted, the Commons is filled with 'brief-less barristers and estate agents'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren18)
    There's little point in saying 'oh barristers can earn £2,000,000 a year ' - this is probably only true for 0.001% of the Bar - people shouldn't be studying Law for the financial potential, 99.999%
    Well, that is why I said "top". I'm merely stating that there is the potential to earn more than a solicitor, which seems to be one of the questions at hand.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.