Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone have any brief notes on Eve of St Agnes and Endymion because I missed the lesson because I was ill. I just need some basic stuff that will help me understand them better.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/en.../st_agnes.html

...is really good for The Eve of St Agnes....basically it's all about a mythical evening where girls who go to bed with no supper are said to be visited in their dreams by their loves. Madeline is in her house with her parents who are quite strict, and goes to bed, then her lover, Porphyro appears and is led to her chamber by an old made, and appears from her closet with arrays of goodies from all over the world. They sleep together and run away together. The big thing here is the negative capability thing, is the whole thing with Porphyro a dream, or does it really happen? There's alot of uncertain imagery, as well as a conflict between light/dark, hot/cold etc.

Not as sure about Endymion, as I didn't study it myself, but i know it's a romantic poem based on a greek myth, and it tells of the love of Endymion, a Greek youth, for the goddess Cynthia...hope this helps a little. If you want any more help, PM me and i'll see what my York Notes say on Endymion.

ReputationRep:
    They sleep together? Nice way to put it. She was asleep. RAAAAAAAPE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    They sleep together? Nice way to put it. She was asleep. RAAAAAAAPE.
    Oh come on! They're in love... he loves her, and she loves him. He may be slightly ambivalent but I don't think you can stretch it that far :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Porph had a 'strategem' so he obviously had it well planned!

ReputationRep:
    The best help I found for the Keats unit at A2, was the York Notes book. It covered exactly what was required for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    Oh come on! They're in love... he loves her, and she loves him. He may be slightly ambivalent but I don't think you can stretch it that far :rolleyes:
    We had massive debates about it in class, but the base thing is: she is asleep and he just has sex with her. That is rape, I've got a whole list of things about Keats and how this reflects him, but it's actual a useful thing to discuss, so don't write it off. :p:

ReputationRep:
    he does not have sex with her while she's asleep!!!!!

she wakes up, says how he doesnt match up to her dream of him, then 'into her dream he melted'....ie, THEN they have sex. when she's awake.

ReputationRep:
    Not neccessarily true, there are different interpretations - haven't you read any critics?

ReputationRep:
    well whats your interpratation?!?!

ReputationRep:
    temper temper
    im lookin for some detailed notes on the different idea's of keats' poetry.. ie negative capability etc..i have the exam tommorow and am dreading it
    please help

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.