Turn on thread page Beta

Not meeting the conditional offer :eek: watch

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science at Exeter University. That statistics website is too complicated
    I cant find computer science on the list and the number of acceptants always seem to be less than the number of applications which is worrying :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Computer Science at Exeter University. That statistics website is too complicated
    I cant find computer science on the list and the number of acceptants always seem to be less than the number of applications which is worrying :/
    It's not that complicated to analyse. I'll post the statistics for CS at Exeter tommorow, so you could see it easily. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    It's not that complicated to analyse. I'll post the statistics for CS at Exeter tommorow, so you could see it easily. :p:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    You're welcome. I decide it to do it now. :p:

I would just tell you the 'Home' students acceptance only though. Altogether (men and woment), there are 1231 applicants applying for a computer science course, and 166 got accepted. It's quite competitive that means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You're welcome. I decide it to do it now. :p:

I would just tell you the 'Home' students acceptance only though. Altogether (men and woment), there are 1231 applicants applying for a computer science course, and 166 got accepted. It's quite competitive that means.
    But that doesnt tell you how many people got given offers per place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    But that doesnt tell you how many people got given offers per place.
    True. I can't find them in the UCAS statistics. I guess he could try asking the uni about this kind of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I would just tell you the 'Home' students acceptance only though.
    What do you mean by that

ReputationRep:
    I think I wont achieve my offer... I'm seeing myself with 479 points in Physics and rejected!!! :P

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by that
    Those from the UK only, not including international students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    To clarify, a girl in my school applied for Industrial Economics at Nottingham. She got an offer of ABB, and actually got grades of BBC. They let her in anyway, but this was only because they really liked her. Hope this is the same for you John.
    Thats actually quite comforting, as i dont think i'll get higher than BBB and my offer is ABB, but how can they not like me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by that
    'Home' means UK students. I could have said it properly, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    I think they will already know your UMS scores, as the person at Notts said if your miss your offer by a few points you will be entered into a group of 'near misses' which they will then examine, so presume they'll have them.
    According to Edexcel Examzone, the main results sent to UCAS are GCE A and AS levels and VCEs. In these cases, only the final awards (e.g. A level grades) are sent - the individual unit/module results are not!!!

I think the person at Notts meant 'missing points' to be 'missing UCAS points'. i.e. If you're offered a place conditioned to scoring 300 UCAS points, but you end up getting 280 points.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry, I think about that everyday.

ReputationRep:
    god i hate cond. offers....how can i tell if they like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovemachine)
    If you got a conditional offer, that means you are liked already, as your predicted grades, reference, and personal statement is good. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If they like you it will probably because there's something in your personal statement that sets you apart from most of the other applicants. For example, you may already have experience and evidence to show you have an interest in the subject you wish to study.

ReputationRep:
    anyone worried this might happen to them? if so ...do they just ..reject you? ive heard of some ppl who failed to meet the conditions but still got in..how does that work? lastly, wouldnt uni';s be hesitant to do this since that means less $$$?
    i missed my offer (by 2 marks! although the universities can't see your marks) and was still let in. It will depend on the course and the university and how many applications they have.

The universities get your results a few days before you do so most will have an idea of the number of places they have.

Remember places can go to clearing too so the universities won't necessarily lose money.

I rang the uni every hour for 2 days after i got my results, demand to speak to your head of dept and fight your corner! (for example, my offer was ABB, i got BBBBB, plus have 2 grade 8s which count as ucas points, and having a gap year so will have a year's work experience, etc etc) though i never had to speak to the head of dept because they accepted me anyway!

It depends how far you miss it by, but if you're only slightly off as long as it's not an extremely competitive course you'll probably be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Mhmm all this is combforting until I keep seeing the 'as long as the course isn't competitive'. I need to get 3A's in Maths History and Economics to study Law in Nottingham. But since I got the offer I have got a b in AS Physics in January (although still have no certificate for it *frowns*) Will this be sent to the Uni to take into consideration in the summer?
    Also, some people managed to get AAB or more rarely ABB, do you reckon if I were to get AAB they would accept me on the basis that I go to a proper **** sixth form when no-one goes on to f.e. Agh I really can't see myself getting an A in History especially as I flunked 2 out 3 A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikerocker)
    Mhmm all this is combforting until I keep seeing the 'as long as the course isn't competitive'. I need to get 3A's in Maths History and Economics to study Law in Nottingham. But since I got the offer I have got a b in AS Physics in January (although still have no certificate for it *frowns*) Will this be sent to the Uni to take into consideration in the summer?
    Also, some people managed to get AAB or more rarely ABB, do you reckon if I were to get AAB they would accept me on the basis that I go to a proper **** sixth form when no-one goes on to f.e. Agh I really can't see myself getting an A in History especially as I flunked 2 out 3 A2 modules.
    If you listed AS physics as a 'pending' qualification on your UCAS form, the universities will probably be sent your results, but if you didn't, they won't know you've taken it. It could be a good bargaining tool on results day if you do get AAB, but having said that, very few people do just 3 A2s, so most will have an extra AS at A or B grade. It's obviously less likely to get accepted onto a competitve course at a top uni if you miss your grades than it would be for a less popular subject at a less prestigious uni, but you never know, it is possible. Just be prepared to beg on results day, although they may have already decided since they get the results earlier.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.