Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to apply for a school leavers (i.e. after people who leave after GCSEs or A-levels). Is it a good idea to apply for school leavers job and do this in my gap year? The salary is quite good 100 quid or above per week. Or should I just do any old job? :p:

I am just worried that they won't employ me, as I am going to do it for a year only, then going to university in 2006.

ReputationRep:
    Well it could be a good idea, I'm not 100% sure what a 'school leavers' job is, could you tell me?

If you think it's going to be helpful, apply but just don't tell them you're planning to go to uni, then about march time, maybe later say oh I had a change of mind and decided to go to uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawrence4)
    Well it could be a good idea, I'm not 100% sure what a 'school leavers' job is, could you tell me?

If you think it's going to be helpful, apply but just don't tell them you're planning to go to uni, then about march time, maybe later say oh I had a change of mind and decided to go to uni :p:
    Yeah, I might tell the that, lol. I think I could tell them in june or august that I will be leaving and decide to go to uni. :p: I'm still going to apply anyway. I am hopefully doing a job such as a data entry clerk.

A school leavers job is students who have GCSEs and/or A-levels can apply for for a full time job. You could see the jobs in your local connexions office, then you will know the sort of jobs they have on offer. In addition, the jobs cover a wiede variety of industries like business, sales, retail, engineering, entertainment, hospitality, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Don't need to say your going to Uni

Better to get something that relates to your course/career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Don't need to say your going to Uni

Better to get something that relates to your course/career.
    Alright. I'll just pretend that I will be working forever, but in august I will tell them that I'm going to uni, and I'll leave. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I am planning to apply for a school leavers (i.e. after people who leave after GCSEs or A-levels). Is it a good idea to apply for school leavers job and do this in my gap year? The salary is quite good 100 quid or above per week. Or should I just do any old job? :p:

I am just worried that they won't employ me, as I am going to do it for a year only, then going to university in 2006.
    I have decided to get a job then go in 2006. I'm hoping to get one in accounting, because I've just done finance in business studies, and the pay of 10k-14k a year would be good for getting a bit of money together for uni. Not telling them that I'm planning to go, I'll give them my months notice...thats it Hoping to do a Business studies type course, looking at marketing at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma155)
    I have decided to get a job then go in 2006. I'm hoping to get one in accounting, because I've just done finance in business studies, and the pay of 10k-14k a year would be good for getting a bit of money together for uni. Not telling them that I'm planning to go, I'll give them my months notice...thats it Hoping to do a Business studies type course, looking at marketing at the moment.
    Alright then. There's not much IT type jobs that I could do during my gap year. Not sure if they want to employ GCSE/A-level students though. I might want to be a data entry clerk during my gap year. The salary is like a few thousand pounts (i.e. 4 digit figure) per year. I think it's quite good already. Yeah, since everybody is telling me to tell them that I'm going to uni in a months notice, I'll do that.

By the way, did you find your job in the Connexions office? That salary for a business job is good! You could buy a car with that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Alright then. There's not much IT type jobs that I could do during my gap year. Not sure if they want to employ GCSE/A-level students though. I might want to be a data entry clerk during my gap year. The salary is like a few thousand pounts (i.e. 4 digit figure) per year. I think it's quite good already. Yeah, since everybody is telling me to tell them that I'm going to uni in a months notice, I'll do that.

By the way, did you find your job in the Connexions office? That salary for a business job is good! You could buy a car with that. :p:
    Connexions website, online vacancies, theres quite a few with salaries like that, although there is some for £100 a week, which i wouldn't consider, I think at least 10k, is good though, i'm not planning to live at home though, and i need to get some driving lessons, and a car before then, and then use the rest to help with living costs at uni...where are you planning on going? I haven't chosen yet, I only decided to go within the last month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma155)
    Connexions website, online vacancies, theres quite a few with salaries like that, although there is some for £100 a week, which i wouldn't consider, I think at least 10k, is good though, i'm not planning to live at home though, and i need to get some driving lessons, and a car before then, and then use the rest to help with living costs at uni...where are you planning on going? I haven't chosen yet, I only decided to go within the last month!
    I tried the connexions website to find IT type jobs for my gap year, they don't have any. I guess I'll have to find other job sites that will have vaccanies for GCSE/A-level leavers. Do you have any websites that you could recommend me? I think 100 quid or above is alright, as if you add it up it will be near 10k a year. The point of having a job during my gap year is to buy a laptop. If I don't need a laptop, I won't be doing a job, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I am just coming towards the end of my Gap year. I worked for a whole year and gained some really good experience.
    Initially I didn't let them know I was going to university but come about Jan I told them that I would be going in October. They were fine about it; think they were just glad to have me. However it really does depend on the situation, you can always just tell them that you changed your mind and want to go to university.
    TBH most places will just be glad to keep you for as long as they can once they trained you up, depending on the job they don't expect you to stay for ever anyway (as long as you don't apply for something that needs loads of training). So its hardly gonna be cost effective in most cases for them to fire you for leaving in X months.

ReputationRep:
    why not apply through the year in industry scheme? then you don't need to fib about going to uni, plus you'll get a good salary, some good work experience and some good training.

the website is www.yini.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    Simply go into your local McDonalds now. Saves applying for loads of jobs that you wont get and ending up there anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Well for my gap year I have worked in Argos, good pay lots of hours and have managed to get promoted after only 6 months there so now i'm on good pay and hopefully will have lots of money to take to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention getting lots of experience in a supervisory role which will look good on my cv.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.