Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

Could someone doing Biology at AS/A Level please answer my question! Thanks.

Now, I don't know about you, but throughout GCSE Biology I have really only been intrested in the parts of Biology which concern humans and cells. The whole, 'Ecology and Classification' part of the specification is just so boring.

So, I was wondering, what is AS/A Biology like, compared to GCSE.
    Is there more about the human body? Is there more on Ecology And, in terms of difficulty, what was the transistion from GCSE to AS/A Level like?

Thanks very much,

Vazzyb

ReputationRep:
    It depends realy which board and which specification you are doing. I can tell you about AQA Biology B. There is one module on ecology, module 5. There is quire a lot about human body across most of the modules but there are also bits on plants, fish etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it really depends on the specification you'll be doing.
    However, if you really hate all the ecology stuff, then why not look into taking human biology AS/A-level if it's offered?

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a pretty straightforward transition fmor GCSE to AS/A2. THe jump is bigger in the other sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Josh...you will notice quite a resonable jump between GCSE and A-levels in all of your subjects (lets be honest - GCSEs required very little work). In biology, the jump isnt so noticeable because you still use a lot of your GCSE knowledge. The major difference between GCSE and A level biology is the pure volume of work - its a pretty big subject!

And unless you can find a human biology course, you are almost certainly going to have some ecology and plant stuff. I do edexcel, and all of unit 4 is human stuff - the nervous system, respiration, human health and fitness, the kidney and hormone coordination. Unit 5 is pretty much just photosynthesis and ecology. Why not find out which exam boards your school offers and visit their websites to have a look at the specification.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA Human Biology spec A. Module 1 is ok, a lot about cells and how they differ. There's a bit about the heart and breathing mechanisms. This is a 'shared' module done by both biology and human.

Module 3 (just human) is a little bit better and you learn about mitosis, dna replication, protein synthesis, cancer, heart disease. It's quite interesting but very much on a molecular level.

For A2 - Module 5 (shared) is all about plants and ecology plus Meiosis. Involves things like variation, natural selection, classification, carbon & nitrogen cycle, photosynthesis and respiration. It's a bit boring but not very difficult at all, easy start to the A2 course.

Then there's module 7 (just human) which is where it gets really interesting imo. Proper human biology Basically it's all about pregnancy and child birth, growth and development, digestion, nervous system, muscle contraction, the eye, homeostasis. IMO the most enjoyable module but a bit harder because there's a lot to remember.

It doesn't really matter whether you choose Biology or Human biology imo. Not in the AQA A course anyway because there is a huge amount of overlap even in the specific modules to the point that we do the same synoptic paper. The jump isn't that hard imo, there is a bit of a difference in the amount you have to take in but you get used to it after a while. IMO the hardest thing is getting used to understanding the question. Often a very complicated looking question will only require a fairly simple answer.

ReputationRep:
    For OCR, one of 7 sections of the Foundation module is about ecosystems. There is nothing in Transport or Human Health and Disease. Ecology is therefore a tiny part of the AS course. At A2, in the Central Concepts module (which is absolutely huge) there are 2 chapters with ecology-based parts - Populations and Interactions, and Classification, Selection and Evolution. That is 2 of 6 chapters though, and then there is an optional module which your school will probably choose. One of those is Environmental Biology but hardly anyone does that (even though it is perceived as easy). I am teaching myself that module because my class are doing Mammalian Physiology and Behaviour. The other options and Growth, Development and Reproduction, Microbiology and Applications of Genetics (which is the 'hardest'). So, overall, of course there is some ecology but the majority seems to be human biology stuff.

ReputationRep:
    ocr biology at as and moreso at a2 is just learning a huge amount of facts. and cos of that it gets very very boring. if you're good at parrot fashion learning then you probably wont have much problem

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and if you don't mind dodgy wording in exam papers and dodgy mark schemes, do biology :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've just done biology AQA A AS. Very easy imo. Less homework than gcse, infact very little indeed. It does get a bit more difficult to understand in places but comparatively, the transition is so much smoother than chemistry for example.

In my AS, there was very little on plants/ecology. We just had 2 pages in the revision guide dedicated to fertilisers and crops, rather simple to learn. No classifications stuff, pretty much everything was about humans. Next year we'll be taught about photosynthesis though.

I've noticed with biology, you're either good at it or you aren't. In a mock in my class the grades we came out with were: AAACDEEU And none of us are geniuses or really stupid, we've all recieved the same good-ish teaching. The papers need alot of common sence. I find biology is so easy they have to make it a bit harder with trick/wordy Qs and calculations! You need to have a sound knowledge of working out percentages and ratios, magnifications etc, but this will probably be taught to you anyway.

Defin take it imho

ReputationRep:
    Woah. Maybe we weren't taught anything at GCSE and somehow managed to get top grades in science, but we all felt the jump from GCSE to A-Level was extreme at my 6th form. Biology's caused several people in my class to break down in tears once a week for the past 2 years. Half the class dropped it after AS...

ReputationRep:
    ok. Thanks for your comments guys and girls. It seems that Biology does seem to be more work than others (ie. Physics) but the comprimise is that its an easier transistion. (Also, thanks for your information regarding the module system - I think will pick as many human modules as possible) Sadly, Human Biology itself isn't offered at our school as an AS/A Level. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it seems that most Medical schools require it. So I will probably end up taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, thanks for your information regarding the module system - I think will pick as many human modules as possible)
    All modules are compulsory so the quentity of human biology involved depends only on which examination board your school is doing.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is one flexible module at A Level, isnt there? :confused:

(seeing as on the OCR spec, there are more than 6 modules available)

ReputationRep:
    There is an option module but in most schools the whole group does the same option and it is up to teacher to decide which one.

ReputationRep:
    Right ok.

ReputationRep:
    You can always try to persuade you teacher that sth involving human biology is better for the group then ecology option .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    There is an option module but in most schools the whole group does the same option and it is up to teacher to decide which one.
    My teacher chose the option but I wanted to do something different to I taught it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    My teacher chose the option but I wanted to do something different to I taught it to myself.
    Wow... I should have done that.. Bit late now

ReputationRep:
    She really didn't want me to do it though, she thought it was "risky." She'll be proved right on results day

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.