Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    You can put them in your personal statement if you want, there's nothing against that.

-Kavanne
    Or you can get your teacher to mention if you did exceptionally well in any of them. Still seems unfair though-there's so little space in a PS and referee comment, you shouldn't have to waste precious space on grades. I should really find out whether my college cashes AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Or you can get your teacher to mention if you did exceptionally well in any of them. Still seems unfair though-there's so little space in a PS and referee comment, you shouldn't have to waste precious space on grades. I should really find out whether my college cashes AS grades.
    Yeah, me too, I'll have to remember to ask that tomorrow. Don't you also think it's really unfair that someone who got say BBCC but persuaded their teachers to predict them AAAA would be treated exactly the same as someone with straight As at AS just because both schools didn't cash in results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yeah, me too, I'll have to remember to ask that tomorrow. Don't you also think it's really unfair that someone who got say BBCC but persuaded their teachers to predict them AAAA would be treated exactly the same as someone with straight As at AS just because both schools didn't cash in results?
    Exactly, I think that's so harsh. I see now what people meant when they said grades from this stage mean nothing in your application - they didn't mean AS grades, they meant predicted grades. Teachers can predict you anything. Usually, within reason, but even so, why should people who put the work in for AS and did well suffer because of the not cashing grades policy? I really hope I get AAAA or AAAB so I can declare them one way or another - it's got to be some kind of an advantage, even if a minute one! lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd be saying that in 2 months (practically exactly) if you got BBCC, espesh as you're expecting A's. I think it's fair enough, even if you don't get grades cashed in, you can still mention them on your PS/teachers reference, some people even write them down anyway, and that way you're differentiating between yourself as an AAAA candidate and an BBCC candidate who're both predicted A's at A2. So you won't be treated the same.

It must be quite unlikely to have BBCC and be predicted AAAA, and if someone is, then there must be good chance of them getting that. Maybe they just mucked up one exam, didn't revise enough but now understand the seriousness of the exams. I could get an A in German, but the essay Q on energy-politics threw me so i probably got a D for 30% of it. However i have 2 opportunities to retake it, so there's high chance i could raise a C to an A, which would contribute a lot to an A or B at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure for entry into 2006 all universities now ask to see your UMS marks, so they will know who the crap candidates are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    I'm sure for entry into 2006 all universities now ask to see your UMS marks, so they will know who the crap candidates are!
    Oh, I thought only Oxbridge did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    I don't think you'd be saying that in 2 months (practically exactly) if you got BBCC, espesh as you're expecting A's. I think it's fair enough, even if you don't get grades cashed in, you can still mention them on your PS/teachers reference, some people even write them down anyway, and that way you're differentiating between yourself as an AAAA candidate and an BBCC candidate who're both predicted A's at A2. So you won't be treated the same.

It must be quite unlikely to have BBCC and be predicted AAAA, and if someone is, then there must be good chance of them getting that. Maybe they just mucked up one exam, didn't revise enough but now understand the seriousness of the exams. I could get an A in German, but the essay Q on energy-politics threw me so i probably got a D for 30% of it. However i have 2 opportunities to retake it, so there's high chance i could raise a C to an A, which would contribute a lot to an A or B at A2.
    I hope I would still be able to say that regardless of how I do in my ASs because it's what I truly believe. As Bethany said, there's limited space on the reference and personal statement and it shouldn't have to be wasted on grades when there's a perfectly adequate space for that on the UCAS form. If I got BBCC, I wouldn't want to be treated the same as someone with AAAA because it wouldn't be fair on them.

Unfortunately, I think it's probably more common than we'd like to imagine, considering that schools and teachers will want their students to do well, so may give them high predicted grades that don't reflect their AS results so they have a better chance of getting into uni. I appreciate that people can screw up an exam, like I think I did in English, so if the teacher really believes they're capable of getting an A at A-level with resits, that's fair enough. However, it still doesn't change the fact that someone who got an A the first time around deserves to be given credit for it.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I get AAAA or AAAB so I can declare them one way or another - it's got to be some kind of an advantage, even if a minute one! lol.
    Same here, but I'm dreading my English results

ReputationRep:
    Same here, but I'm dreading my English results
    I really hope you ace it - am sure you'll have done way better than you think! Almost everyone has an off paper in something where they get really frustrated because they know they could've done better - you're already ahead of a lot of people in that you only feel this way in one subject! I think the worst case scenario would be that you get a B in English -though I think you'll get an A - which wouldn't be the end of the world. That said, I'm fairly freaked out about French, and History as I'm not sure how it went. I am the worst judge of my own work and am hoping this is the case here, lol.

I just can't believe we have to wait about 2 months Sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you ace it - am sure you'll have done way better than you think! Almost everyone has an off paper in something where they get really frustrated because they know they could've done better - you're already ahead of a lot of people in that you only feel this way in one subject! I think the worst case scenario would be that you get a B in English -though I think you'll get an A - which wouldn't be the end of the world. That said, I'm fairly freaked out about French, and History as I'm not sure how it went. I am the worst judge of my own work and am hoping this is the case here, lol.

I just can't believe we have to wait about 2 months Sheesh.
    Thanks True, at least I feel confident about my other 3 subjects, although the first history paper could have gone better. I'd be happy with AAAB as long as the B wasn't in French, but obviously I'd prefer AAAA I know lots of people at my school found English hard though, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be low, and I'm really bad at judging how I've done in English essays/exams. I'm sure it's the same with you- you'll probably get AAAA I know what you mean about the wait too, but at least we have other things to take our minds off it this year, whereas last year it was already the holidays. And results day is a week earlier than it was at GCSE.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.