Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How has the way that Tony Blair has acted at the EU Budget summit changed the way you view him? Do you admire him for sticking to his guns and defending the rebate as he promised? Or do you think that he's sabotagin the EU consnsus and is just setting himself up with big problems for his own term as EU president?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    How has the way that Tony Blair has acted at the EU Budget summit changed the way you view him? Do you admire him for sticking to his guns and defending the rebate as he promised? Or do you think that he's sabotagin the EU consnsus and is just setting himself up with big problems for his own term as EU president?
    Tony Blair seems to developed an inferiority complex recently and wants to be remebered-first by latching on to Brown's Africa appeal and now by 'sticking up' for the UK-his argument isn't completley logical but he does have a point. I do admire him for not being bullied into decisions however his Presidency begins very soon and the EU is in crisis. well good luck Tony!

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah! I have to agree, he's probably making his own life after the 1st July very difficult, but I definitely think he's done the right hing by not giving into pressure - it was clear that it wasn't only him that objected to the budget in its current form. The arguments he presents about the shape of the budget and the idea of getting rid of the rebate seem logical to me, I just hope that this isn't the beginning of a really major life-changing kind of crisis for Europe!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I applaude Tony Blair (as you may expect) for what he is doing.

But this is really more because I think what he is doing is right. The UK rebate hould stay as long as there are other big problems in the buget and other 'unair' benfits for other countries. It's France that are talking the wrong direction over this. I love the way M. Chirac has been slatted by some German and even some French newspaper over the way he is handling things.

Some people might say the Mr Blair might be doing things to try and save himself, but M. Chirac is trying even more desperately to do so as he was already very unpopular (to the extent he may lose elections) and following the constitution no vote.

The difference between the two is that Mr Blair has taken the better position of calling for a general rethink rather than the French's petty stance of trying to single one country out.

SO what do I think this will do for Tony Blair? I think it will help the country somewhat by making us more united even if that is only tempory. It will help him long term in his 'legacy', provided something can be worked out in the next year without too many problems. He could go down as the man who fought to modernise the EU bugget and make it fairer, especially to the Eastern Coutries. This will certainlybe helped if it's sorted while the UK has the Presidency.

ReputationRep:
    Blair's mostly in the right but CAP should be reduced or abolished and then we shouldn't have a rebate, im just worried Blair is pandering to the Murdoch view of Europe. But Chirac will be gone soon anyway as will Schroeder, and probably Blair to!

ReputationRep:
    I think Tony Blair's actions are commendable

If we were to cede the rebate, we would be paying more into the EU budget than any other country, and receiving very little back. This is unfair, since we are by no means the richest or largest country in the EU. I think that Mr. Blair has acted in an appropriate manner, as he calls for a rethink of the entire economic structure of the EU, rather than a debate on a single issue as the French are doing.

Woot, Tony

ReputationRep:
    If i was Blair-i'd declare war on France and arrest Chirac as a POW--that'll make him memorable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    If i was Blair-i'd declare war on France and arrest Chirac as a POW--that'll make him memorable.
    But they're bigger than us...and they're only 21 miles over there *points*

ReputationRep:
    But they've only got a similar amount of people.

I think that this is the fairest option. He hasn't ruled out reform to the rebate, just that its got to be measured by everthing else.

Its not our fault our economy is much better or our farming more efficent.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Divine89)
    I already tried to set up an invasion last Saturday on another board...we were al supposed to meet on the South coast today with boats ships and weapons adn sail over there...somehow I don't think it's going to happene...unless it happenes without me knowing anything...just keep watching the news today...lol :p:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    But they've only got a similar amount of people.

I think that this is the fairest option. He hasn't ruled out reform to the rebate, just that its got to be measured by everthing else.

Its not our fault our economy is much better or our farming more efficent.
    Actually I would say it is our 'fault' that our economy is much etter and our farming more efficient...but what isn't our fault is that, in particular, the French economy is quite poor an French farming is very inefficient. Why should be be put at a disadvantage for French failings?

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that I do agree with Blair's stance on this, as it is the only reasonable way to go (although I expect he is counting on unreasonable actions to rule at the summit). 15 new states have joined the union and the budget, as a whole, needs to be discussed. Britain's position is that nothing is sacrosanct if it is discussed, it is actually the french that are causing the breakdown in talks be refusing to discuss the CAP, despite what President Chiraq would have us believe.

ReputationRep:
    sursprised to see so much support for Blair on this site! happy though, as it's probably the one thing in the past x years that he's done that I agree with...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    Blair's mostly in the right but CAP should be reduced or abolished and then we shouldn't have a rebate
    Exactly, the rebate is necessary because of the CAP which benefits countries like France so much. We should just abolish both of them, which would also help third-world trade with the abolition of EU subsidised-goods.

ReputationRep:
    as it's probably the one thing in the past x years that he's done that I agree with...
    I see you're a member of LGBT - how about abolishing Section 28, equalising the age of consent, and the legalisation of gay marriage?? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not often that I support Blair, but he's completely in the right here.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agree with Blair on this one. Its good that he has finally showed some backbone and stood up against France's federalist and protectionist agenda. Finally we may see the EU that we voted for those long years ago, an economic free trade area rather than a mammoth superstate designed only to appease France's ego.

ReputationRep:
    He has acted in precisely the manner i would have hoped. The Rebate should not budge until the conditions which gave rise to it change. That certain European leaders - namely the pathetic Chirac,Jean-Claude Juncker and Schroeder - had the gall to accuse US of national egotism and rejectionism is absolutely sickening. Last nights failure came purely as a result of Frances refusal to give up its totally unjustifiable and bloated subsidies which ensure that ALREADY we pay far more into the EU than they do. I never expected to be surprised by the cheek of France or a Frenchman ( a cursory glance through history provides enough incredible examples) in the modern day but the last week has taught me that if theres one area (and triumph really is quite anathema to them) that the French will always be world beaters its sheer, incomprehensible cheek and arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    But they're bigger than us...and they're only 21 miles over there *points*
    But they have more or less the same population and are legendary in their military incompetance and have spent pretty much the entirity of their history coming second best to England and then to the British Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I see you're a member of LGBT - how about abolishing Section 28, equalising the age of consent, and the legalisation of gay marriage?? :rolleyes:
    I hardly see Tony Blair as personally responsible for any of those things... :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.