Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else think that EMA should at least be abolished or seriously reformed? i go to a private school and i'm sick of my friends spending their £120 a month on clothes, alcohol and petrol. because my parents have committed the dreadful crime of being:

a) still married and in the same household
    b) earning a decent wage

i get no such help from the state and actually have to go out and *work* in job, which pays me less than i would get if i was on full EMA. my friends get about £200 or more if you include the income from their saturday jobs. incase you are wondering how my friends at a private school are entitled to all this money:

1)EMA is calculated on income per household (ie.who you live with)
    2)their parents are divorced, so they live with their mothers (who earn very little or nothing at all) and so are entitled to recieve thge full amount.

the TOTAL income for one of my friends, who recieves the full amount is £100k once you take the sum of her mother and father's salaries. her father pays for everything else, school fees, a car for her birthday, etc. etc. she even got a £100 bonus at christmas for full attendance at school and good grades (er sorry, with straight A*s, from a private school and middle class home, was truancy ever likely to be a huge problem?)

is this fair? what was the govenrment thinking anyway? that people would spend it on educational resources, books etc etc. out of ALL the people i know on EMA, (those at state schools as well) not one of them spends it on anything to do with their education. one of them doesn't even bother getting a job, she just lives off her EMA.

surely there must be a better way?

ReputationRep:
    Its a government incentive on getting more people into FE. It has its loopholes and people are exploiting them, why wouldn't they? It needs to be regulated better and probably be linked with grades as opposed to just attendance. But consider this, all the people who are in FE, if they weren't, they would receive the equivalent of EMA in benefits. Why EMA and a job is allowed beats me too. There was a massive debate about in the Secondary School forum I believe a couple of days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    does anyone else think that EMA should at least be abolished or seriously reformed? i go to a private school and i'm sick of my friends spending their £120 a month on clothes, alcohol and petrol. because my parents have committed the dreadful crime of being:

b) earning a decent wage

i get no such help from the state and actually have to go out and *work* in job, which pays me less than i would get if i was on full EMA. my friends get about £200 or more if you include the income from their saturday jobs. incase you are wondering how my friends at a private school are entitled to all this money:

2)their parents are divorced, so they live with their mothers (who earn very little or nothing at all) and so are entitled to recieve thge full amount.

the TOTAL income for one of my friends, who recieves the full amount is £100k once you take the sum of her mother and father's salaries. her father pays for everything else, school fees, a car for her birthday, etc. etc. she even got a £100 bonus at christmas for full attendance at school and good grades (er sorry, with straight A*s, from a private school and middle class home, was truancy ever likely to be a huge problem?)

is this fair? what was the govenrment thinking anyway? that people would spend it on educational resources, books etc etc. out of ALL the people i know on EMA, (those at state schools as well) not one of them spends it on anything to do with their education. one of them doesn't even bother getting a job, she just lives off her EMA.

I think someone is a lil jelaous me think, who cares one of my mates gets it i dont. WHO CARES NOT ME!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)

b) earning a decent wage

Abolish it.

I feel like i'm one of the only people who isn't entitled to it after coming on this site... The amount of times i've read "well i've saved up about £2000 from my EMA..."

If cash incentives are the only way to get people into education, theres something seriously wrong socially with this country...

ReputationRep:
    the idea is that the kid can then pay for their books or give the money to the parents as a little extra source of income. kids who's parents are poor might get forced to work otherwise and it's a small incentive to go to school.

although, my parents make a lot of money, but we're not rich, and now i'm in uni they're funding my fees. so there's less money for my sisters. a lot of people spent their money on booze anyway.

i dislike the way poor people get given money. just cos my parents have money doesn't mean they're giving it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    i dislike the way poor people get given money. just cos my parents have money doesn't mean they're giving it to me.
    so true! like it's assumed that if your parents have a combined income of £30,000 (15,000 each, hardly a fortune) that they're going to be willing and able to spend £20000 on putting you through uni!

on EMA, wish I would have got it, but even if I'd been the right age or whatever I wouldn't have - don't begrudge the people who get it - it's the governments fault for giving the money to 16 year olds - what did they think would happen?! Should DEFINITELY be linked to grades - the idea of giving a student £30 a week so they can doss for 2 years and come out with two Es is ridiculous, plus shouln't be allowed with a part time job, as the whole point isw that they can concentrate n their studies!

ReputationRep:
    Performance related would bew good, but it is incredibly un-PC to give money to people because they are good at something. You have to give moeny to people who are ***** at something because they are 'from a deprived background'. Carrots on sticks don't work unless you have a long enough stick, and it needs to be pretty long when you are dealing with wise-ass teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    i agree
    people who dont get ema have to get jobs and this results in them messing there grades up (sometimes).
    there are no incentives for students whose attendance is 100% and grades are good (private or state)
    i think the government should have a set amount of money to give to students based on attendance and performance, irrespective of their parents annual earnings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    i agree
    people who dont get ema have to get jobs and this results in them messing there grades up (sometimes).
    there are no incentives for students whose attendance is 100% and grades are good (private or state)
    i think the government should have a set amount of money to give to students based on attendance and performance, irrespective of their parents annual earnings.
    All the current system does is entrench the class system, not very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Abolish it. They have not earned that money, it hardly gives a very good work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    They have not earned that money, it hardly gives a very good work ethic.
    I'm glad to hear that you also support abolishing inhereitance, gambling, massive corporate payouts etc.

Reform it. The top bracket for EMA should be lowered. Poor kids are at a disadvantage, but the system is wrong. The poorer people I know who have MEA spend it on things like school trips or going out. Things other kids can take for granted. But when you have a person living in an exclusive (and i mean exclusive) area, with 3 sports cars receiveing EMA, something is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Abolish the EMA. It is a total waste of money to give teenagers £30 per week so that they can buy a new X-box or something. Does the government really think that a teenager is going to spend his money on school books? Don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to hear that you also support abolishing inhereitance,
    True they have not earned it, but its the least worse option. Better to fulfil the wishes of the peson who held the wealth than for the state to take it. Also if they dont deserve it hopefully they will lose it.

gambling, massive corporate payouts etc.

They earn it by taking the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Does the government really think that a teenager is going to spend his money on school books?
    They don't. They just want to discourage part time working during 6th form. It (used to) be marketed as "money to spend on what you want!"

ReputationRep:
    I am normally pretty left wing but i agree that EMA should be abolished. There are far too many people abuseing the system. I am sure there is a better way to divert funds to those who truely need it. How about free text books and school trips for those on lower incomes for a start.

ReputationRep:
    How about free text books and school trips for those on lower incomes for a start.
    True. And free public transport. I know one girl for instance wh needs to work to pay to come to school.

I do believe it is wrong that some kids can't afford a social life like others and would feel inferior, but to be honest, there are bigger problems in the world. But free trips, free text books and free transporation would be a start.

ReputationRep:
    im so glad a thread lik this is up. yes it is unfair not to get an ema. i know some people who bunk school and dont deserve and ema and stil get one. its just like the bus pass thing for under 16's. wasteful spending, when will blair learn.

ReputationRep:
    You should only get EMA with full attendance. That's the school's fault for not passing on accurate information.

its just like the bus pass thing for under 16's.
    Totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    I have no more strength left to debate this matter any further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian cutie)
    im so glad a thread lik this is up. yes it is unfair not to get an ema. i know some people who bunk school and dont deserve and ema and stil get one. its just like the bus pass thing for under 16's. wasteful spending, when will blair learn.
    It should be taken away if attendance is less than 90% or something, so that's the schools/colleges fault. If they're not bunking off that much, then...? :confused:

I get it, £30 a week, and it's very helpful. My dad got made redundant, my mum earns less than £15000 a year, and we're a family of four. Both me and my sister have part time jobs, she doesn't get EMA, I do. Frankly, doing 4 A-levels and a part time job is very difficult, the job leaves little time to do work for college, and I end up being half asleep in lessons because of late nights when I do do my work. That £30 a week means I don't do as many hours - I get more sleep, I'm more awake in lessons, and I get work done on time much easier.

It needs amendments to the system, yes, but scrapping it would completely bugger me over. So I don't agree with that just yet...

And as for spending it on stuff I'm not supposed to - I keep track of how much I spend each week/month, and how much I get paid from my job, so I know exactly what I'm spending stuff on, and I can safely say that my EMA isn't used for anything it shouldn't be used for...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.