Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like EMA I kinda rely on my £20 a week to buy a few nice things and to save up for my future at uni (parents don't put money in my bank).
    I know you might say I should get a job but seriously I'm trying, I've had 14 failed attempts at getting a job and my parents don't earn much money (and aren't bothered about me anyway) so I need the money to get myself some nice things.

Anyway if your parents are on a decent wage why is it that bothersome? Surely you can just get money off your parents or maybe your parents have been contributing to a bank account for you, or you have a job.

And I only get it when I attend fully anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    I think someone is a lil jelaous me think, who cares one of my mates gets it i dont. WHO CARES NOT ME!
    well maybe when you become a taxpayer, and you see a large chunk taken out of your monthly pay packet for tax, you'll resent having to fund the social lives of 16 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    It should be taken away if attendance is less than 90% or something, so that's the schools/colleges fault. If they're not bunking off that much, then...? :confused:

I get it, £30 a week, and it's very helpful. My dad got made redundant, my mum earns less than £15000 a year, and we're a family of four. Both me and my sister have part time jobs, she doesn't get EMA, I do. Frankly, doing 4 A-levels and a part time job is very difficult, the job leaves little time to do work for college, and I end up being half asleep in lessons because of late nights when I do do my work. That £30 a week means I don't do as many hours - I get more sleep, I'm more awake in lessons, and I get work done on time much easier.

It needs amendments to the system, yes, but scrapping it would completely bugger me over. So I don't agree with that just yet...

And as for spending it on stuff I'm not supposed to - I keep track of how much I spend each week/month, and how much I get paid from my job, so I know exactly what I'm spending stuff on, and I can safely say that my EMA isn't used for anything it shouldn't be used for...
    that's great, except i have to work on a saturday for money. i like to think i'm a huge asset to the british taxpayer, i work hard, don't truant and don't take up room in the state sector for free!

ReputationRep:
    I know you might say I should get a job but seriously I'm trying, I've had 14 failed attempts at getting a job
    So taxpayers must suffer for your failure?

and my parents don't earn much money
    So? That does not justify theft

I need the money to get myself some nice things.
    No you dont. Its not like your going to starve.

Anyway if your parents are on a decent wage why is it that bothersome?
    Principles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    that's great, except i have to work on a saturday for money. i like to think i'm a huge asset to the british taxpayer, i work hard, don't truant and don't take up room in the state sector for free!
    I work some school nights, and most weekends. I earn money - it's not enough. A family of 4 on just over £10k a year doesn't leave much room for things to go wrong. Right now if the hoover broke down, we'd be stuck. Or the washing machine, or the fridge, or the freezer, or, well, anything.

I'll soon be paying rent, petrol money, and a lot of other things because my parents can't afford it.

And the irony is my dad used to work for the inland revenue. So please, no one tell me to work even more hours in my job because I don't deserve to get anything off the government that 'didn't need' my dad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    well maybe when you become a taxpayer, and you see a large chunk taken out of your monthly pay packet for tax, you'll resent having to fund the social lives of 16 year olds.
    Im older than you and i pay taxes and im not arsed theres more important things in life than faffin about arguin and being resentfull like yourself

ReputationRep:
    This has been discussed extensively, and the resounding answer from those of us who possibly deserve it and aren't getting is one of anger. Nothing can be done though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I work some school nights, and most weekends. I earn money - it's not enough. A family of 4 on just over £10k a year doesn't leave much room for things to go wrong. Right now if the hoover broke down, we'd be stuck. Or the washing machine, or the fridge, or the freezer, or, well, anything.

I'll soon be paying rent, petrol money, and a lot of other things because my parents can't afford it.

And the irony is my dad used to work for the inland revenue. So please, no one tell me to work even more hours in my job because I don't deserve to get anything off the government that 'didn't need' my dad.
    So, quit school and get a full time job if things are that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I agree. Why must my parents pay heavy taxes just because you and your family cant manage? Its not my problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    I agree. Why must my parents pay heavy taxes just because you and your family cant manage? Its not my problem.
    Why should we punish the children for simply being brought into a lower earnings family? Everyone in society such as ours should be given the best chance to succeed; the situation described above IMO is actually where the state should step into help. Otherwise there is no class movement at all!
    I worked full time during a gap year and would be happy to know that my taxes were going to people who really need it and helping to create a better society for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    Anyway if your parents are on a decent wage why is it that bothersome? Surely you can just get money off your parents or maybe your parents have been contributing to a bank account for you, or you have a job.
    thats the point, it riles many that it's assumed that because parents earn the superhigh combined wage of 30k, that they'lll automatically be giving their kids tonnes of money every week! probably should be scaled as well - definitely not abolished altogether though

ReputationRep:
    what an obtuse statement

ReputationRep:
    Why should we punish the children for simply being brought into a lower earnings family.
    We arn't punishing them. To punish one must act.

Everyone in soceity such as ours should be given the best chance to suceed,
    Thats why we have equality before the law.

Otherwise there is no class movement at all!
    Tell that to the thousand of self made millionaires who made it through sheer hard work.

I worked full time during a gap year and would be happy to know that my taxes were going to people who really need it and helping to create a better society for all.
    Fine. Give your money to a chairty. Just dont force others to give theirs, ask them, persude them, but dont coerce them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    what an obtuse statement
    Not really. The poster I was replying to was stating that their parents would have to depend on them financially because of their current financial situation. If that is the case then getting a full time job would be better than a bit of a hand out from the government. Of course I very much doubt the situation is as bad as it has been described because at the moment there is quite a lot of government support for people in that kind of situation (excluding the EMA).

ReputationRep:
    Not really. The poster I was replying to was stating that their parents would have to depend on them financially because of their current financial situation. If that is the case then getting a full time job would be better than a bit of a hand out from the government. Of course I very much doubt the situation is as bad as it has been described because at the moment there is quite a lot of government support for people in that kind of situation (excluding the EMA).
    Quitting education in order to support your family is something that nobody should have to do - she would be jeapoardising her education as well as her future job prospects - bad for her, bad for society, bad for the economy. The statement was obtuse because it singularly failed to recognise how unfair and wrong it would be for someone to be compelled to leave education in order to support their family.

ReputationRep:
    So taxpayers must suffer for your failure?
    Should smokers be denied NHS care? Should dole be abolished/

So? That does not justify theft
    It was ok for you when British oil companies were stealing Iranian oil.

You should join the tory party

a) Are we not compassionate human beings? b) Were your parents born into a middle class family with an automatic headstart?

Tell that to the thousand of self made millionaires who made it through sheer hard work.
    Individuals in a minority. I know of miners who are no millionaires. But 70% never worked again. EVERY unemployed person or poor worker can't become an entrpreneur.

Fine. Give your money to a chairty. Just dont force others to give theirs, ask them, persude them, but dont coerce them
    Tell me, would you have been in the poll tax riots?

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't help me break the trend, really, does it? If I get a dead end job now, my kids will, in all likeliness, be in the same situation as I am now. Neither of my parents are dumb, but sods law meant my dad got made redundant, and my mum didn't get the opportunities she should have had. I'm not thick, I'm one hell of a lot more intelligent than quite a few people in my year, yet they should get to go to uni because they can afford it? No thanks. I'm planning on going to a decent uni, Durham maybe, getting a degree, and paying back my loan, which a few people I know aren't planning on doing. They're hoping they can wait 25 years and have it written off.

I should quit education, which I love - and always have loved - because my parents got a rotten deal? No, I think I'll stick it out and get a decent job.

You go private then, and don't use the NHS? Why should other people pay taxes to let you have free healthcare just because you don't go private?

It's not that bad? Tell you what, you come live my life, and lets see how bad you think it is. I stated facts. I will be paying rent, I will be paying my parents money for petrol. If one sodding thing in this house breaks down, we can't afford to get it fixed/replaced. Yes, my dad gets benefits. I get benefits. Please tell me the difference, when, if I continue my education, I'll be paying enough tax to give back what I'm recieving now.

ReputationRep:
    Should smokers be denied NHS care? Should dole be abolished/
    Certainly.

It was ok for you when British oil companies were stealing Iranian oil.
    When did we talk about this?

You should join the tory party
    I'm already a member and local officer!

a) Are we not compassionate human beings?
    We are egotistical, we do things because they make us happy. If we are compassionate, than we would not need forced taxes, people would happily give 40% of their income to chairty.

b) Were your parents born into a middle class family with an automatic headstart?
    My family is none of your business

Individuals in a minority.
    There'd be more if the government didn't stifle business with red tape and tax

I know of miners who are no millionaires. But 70% never worked again. EVERY unemployed person or poor worker can't become an entrpreneur.
    No wonder with that defeatist attitude. Tell that to the people of Hong Kong.

Tell me, would you have been in the poll tax riots?
    No, im civilised. I would have expressed my opposition in other ways.

Hasn't this been done before? The point is, Britain NEEDS more people to go into further and higher education, as it (with the rise of China and its miniscule labour costs) cannot go on being a nation made- to at least some extent- of factory and manual workers. We have to capitalise on the "knowledge economy".

Now, it is clear that a substantial number of people abandon education purely because of finance, and it is clear therefore that EMA, in giving people the means to extend their education, allows them to do so. It may well be true that a small amount- even a large amount, perhaps- of people do not have the money go towards academic expenses. But I believe that the principle here is that it is better to give a few £10 for drink whilst keeping on all that want to stay, than having a significant and talented minority priced out of education altogether.

Therefore, EMA may not be an entirely perfect solution, but it is certainly the lesser of two evils: abolishing it, in my humble opinion, is simply not an option. I would in fact wish to see it extended to the entire student population, as I don't believe that means testing is the way forward; the original principle, however, remains an admirable one.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    It's not that bad? Tell you what, you come live my life, and lets see how bad you think it is. I stated facts. I will be paying rent, I will be paying my parents money for petrol. If one sodding thing in this house breaks down, we can't afford to get it fixed/replaced. Yes, my dad gets benefits. I get benefits. Please tell me the difference, when, if I continue my education, I'll be paying enough tax to give back what I'm recieving now.
    I was brought up in exactly the same financial situation as you, my parents mangaged in the 80's when all this help wasn't available - how? by hard work - there isn't a substitute.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.