Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you know, I'm so glad the best I can look forward to isn't working god knows how many hours
    8 hours a day at Nick's factories in Vietnam

a day for a pittance
    Its double the average factory wage. That money in turn goes alot further than in the west. Your viewing it in the wrong context.

it a factory so Nike can make a massive profit.
    If they weren't making a profit, they would not be there. Its profits which give people this chance. The chance to earn more so their children can get a better start in life. Anti-globalisers are motivated by hate for tnc's, not a feeling of care for others. The fact that you talk about their profits shows this. What does it matter how much Nike gain if the workers are also gaining?

What do you propose? Should these countries close their economies?

ReputationRep:
    No I think Nike should pay better wages.

Wasn't it Nike that said they couldn't guarentee that child labour wasn't being used in their factories and that working conditions might not be up to standard.

ReputationRep:
    ]No I think Nike should pay better wages.
    They are already paying very good wages. Under your logic why don't we pay factory workers in this country 60,000 a year? It would lead to uncompetitiveness and therefore the workers would lose their jobs.

Wasn't it Nike that said they couldn't guarentee that child labour wasn't being used in their factories and that working conditions might not be up to standard.
    Where did you get this from? Also if there is a choice between child labour and prostitution and thats its (NO EDUCATION) which is best?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how you can defend a corporation like nike. Are you blind to what goes on in this world of ours.

Its ok for you to sit here in sunny england and talk about these peoples lives as if theyve got it good. If you actually had to live in a situation where the only way to feed yourslef is yto sell your soul to a western corporation, than i think you would have a very different opinion.

and we wander why people want to blow our cities up

ReputationRep:
    i dont know how this turned into a debate about the evil nike corporation, but i havent read most of the posts, so wat im gunna say might have already been said. EMA is an incentive to keep poor kids in schools.they have potential, but because theyve had no money their whole lives, the thing they look forward to most is getting out of school and getting a job, thereby wasting all the intelligence and potential that would have been a help to the country in the future. ema stops them leaving school the second they have the option to. people who complain about their parents earning lots but not giving them money, consider that you might be taking your life for granted.you get expensive holidays, a nice house, books and things paid for, and you have the work ethich because your parents have drummed it into you to earn a living,the majority of peoiple on ema (and i know there are pelnty who this doesnt apply to) do not have these things.why should they be punished for the fact that their parents havent told them how improtant it is to stay at school.and why do you care so much anyway?its not coming out of your pocket.yeh yeh, tax this, tax that, but tax wasnt raised to allow for ema.the distribution of tax is for the govt to decide, not whinging kids who are bitter that their poor peers can finally do some of the things that they do without even thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    i dont know how this turned into a debate about the evil nike corporation, but i havent read most of the posts, so wat im gunna say might have already been said. EMA is an incentive to keep poor kids in schools.they have potential, but because theyve had no money their whole lives, the thing they look forward to most is getting out of school and getting a job, thereby wasting all the intelligence and potential that would have been a help to the country in the future. ema stops them leaving school the second they have the option to. people who complain about their parents earning lots but not giving them money, consider that you might be taking your life for granted.you get expensive holidays, a nice house, books and things paid for, and you have the work ethich because your parents have drummed it into you to earn a living,the majority of peoiple on ema (and i know there are pelnty who this doesnt apply to) do not have these things.why should they be punished for the fact that their parents havent told them how improtant it is to stay at school.and why do you care so much anyway?its not coming out of your pocket.yeh yeh, tax this, tax that, but tax wasnt raised to allow for ema.the distribution of tax is for the govt to decide, not whinging kids who are bitter that their poor peers can finally do some of the things that they do without even thinking about it.
    :congrats: :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Also if there is a choice between child labour and prostitution and thats its (NO EDUCATION) which is best?
    It shouldn't have to be a choice. Its wrong.

ReputationRep:
    here here cottonmouth.

when I went to college a couple of years ago I decided i would go to a good college and not the crap ones near my house. The problem was that the train fare was simply unaffordable, thankfully I am a serial fare evader and consider my self a master at the art and was able to blag my way to college most of the time through a mixture of using old tickets and running across barriers past bemused ticket inspectors.

BUT my friends are not master criminals like me and decided to pay for their tickets, which was 2.80 a day. They NEEDED their ema to pay for this, otherwise they would of had to go to crappy local college, all of my mates are pretty poor so this was a godsend.

The only people that could possibly be agiainst the ema is people who are scared that poor kids are gonna start doing well for themselves. Shame on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    It shouldn't have to be a choice. Its wrong.
    Its reality. Wake up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Its reality. Wake up.
    Tax is a reality. Wake up.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you tell em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Tax is a reality. Wake up.
    I suggested an alternative to forced tax which is both moral and practical. Anti-globalisers alternative: don't trade. This is immoral and practically speaking brings disaster. Of course tax is a reality, but so is earning double the average wage of one's country, the difference is that the former is immoral whereas the latter is encouraging.

ReputationRep:
    what?

ReputationRep:
    Its reality. Wake up.

But didn't you say if somethings wrong, its wrong. So this is wrong, despite the fact its reality

ReputationRep:
    why speak in code, where not all college professors.

ReputationRep:
    I suggested an alternative to forced tax which is both moral and practical. Anti-globalisers alternative: don't trade. This is immoral and practically speaking brings disaster. Of course tax is a reality, but so is earning double the average wage of one's country, the difference is that the former is immoral whereas the latter is encouraging.
    how exactly is tax immoral?helping other people stay above the povery line,creating public services for people who do not have the money to go private.And im talking about people who do work bloody hard- the people who slave away at tescos, or boots, etc, who no matter how many hours hey worked, coulddnt afford these things.the people who pay a lot of tax because they are high earners are still more than able to do the things they want.they still have expensive holidays.theys till own 2 cars and a holiday home.they still eat at expensive restaurants.lowering tax would just mean that rich people could do more of this, poor people would be left to rot.i cant put into words how much i despise tories and their selfish atitudes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markgg)
    here here cottonmouth.

when I went to college a couple of years ago I decided i would go to a good college and not the crap ones near my house. The problem was that the train fare was simply unaffordable, thankfully I am a serial fare evader and consider my self a master at the art and was able to blag my way to college most of the time through a mixture of using old tickets and running across barriers past bemused ticket inspectors.

BUT my friends are not master criminals like me and decided to pay for their tickets, which was 2.80 a day. They NEEDED their ema to pay for this, otherwise they would of had to go to crappy local college, all of my mates are pretty poor so this was a godsend.

The only people that could possibly be agiainst the ema is people who are scared that poor kids are gonna start doing well for themselves. Shame on them.
    hear hear, you too!the 1 time i didnt pay to get on a train, i was caught and had to pay a tenner- very annoying and embarrassing.but this is precisely why the ema is a good thing- we need more accounts of how it helps for legitimate reasons, so that the morons who jsut think peole spendvit on crap get a reality check.but i say, so what if its spent on crap.if they need it for books, theyll buy books,if they dont that particualr week- and a logical perosn would realise that people obviously dont buy 3 books a week, and have a school trip every fotnight- then they have every right to spend it on what they want- it is their money. why are tories so obsessed with cash?

ReputationRep:
    nice one cotton mouth, this objectivism bloke (or lady) needs telling. Im from a poor background and im telling you straight, if it wasnt for public things like schools, cheap public transport, and tax credits I dont know what would have happened to me and my family. We would be F...d

ReputationRep:
    Exploiting workers is also immoral. But you encourage that. Forced tax may not be moral (debatable), but it is certainly practical. Most of us (myself included) would not cough up if it wasn't forced. Its human nature.

ReputationRep:
    youre right, their so obsessed with money and the economy that they forget about the human beings behind it.

Free market sounds great for a economist, but if you actually see what this system does to people, than maybe they would change thir mind. They either dont care and are selfish, or they are blind to how society actually works.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.