The Student Room Group

Failing GCSE Maths for a second time

I don't know, but I keep thinking 'What if I fail GCSE Maths for the second time'

I was doing the linear in Y11 and the modular in Y12 (Coursework carried over). If I fail the qualification overall (i.e. that involves failing M5 really badly!) will I need to attend lessons if I'm resitting the module in November?

And if I fail it in November what next? I seriously don't want another year of GCSE Maths as like most people it is so easy to do hundreds of questions with the textbooks in front of you and your mates and teacher helping you out but you're alone in the exam room :frown:
Reply 1
From what i've heard (+ after taking the exam), Maths has been really hard this year, so hopefully the boundaries will be low.
Reply 2
I'm sure you will do fine. Just do some past papers, as the questions are very similar. If you are doing edexcel refer to here for past papers: www.gcsemathspastpapers.com

Again your coursework mark will be carried on for the november resit. If you have a good coursework mark you will be fine.

I think you still need to attend lessons if you fail. Good luck and I hope you will get a grade C or above during results day.
You'll still need to attend lessons if you don't get a C because you have a third and fourth opportunity to resit, in November this year and June next year. Are you planning on going to university next year? If so, you'll need a C in maths for some universities and courses, but it would probably be possible to find one where it's not a requirement.
Reply 4
If you are attending a arts/social science courses, you might not need maths. If you do science type subjects, you will need a grade C in maths.
Reply 5
Not off to uni, I'm job hunting next year and already have a job at the car boot which can give me quite a good source of funds if it is a nice day :smile:

I've got some key skills qualification...But I need a portfolio in it to make it of any use at all?

I hope I pass as I really can't be bothered with yet another year of maths lessons (3hr 45m a week!). They don't need to teach me the stuff, I just fail to remember it!

We'll see I guess :redface:
Johnt
Not off to uni, I'm job hunting next year and already have a job at the car boot which can give me quite a good source of funds if it is a nice day :smile:

I've got some key skills qualification...But I need a portfolio in it to make it of any use at all?

I hope I pass as I really can't be bothered with yet another year of maths lessons (3hr 45m a week!). They don't need to teach me the stuff, I just fail to remember it!

We'll see I guess :redface:

Have you found out whether any of the jobs you're interested in require GCSE maths? If it's nothing to do with maths, they might not, so it doesn't matter whether you got a C in your resit or not. If they do, you could just try and convince them to accept your Key Skills qualification as that's technically equivalent to a GCSE.
Reply 7
What key skills qualification do you have by the way? It's good that you pass GCSE English though, as that's the most important GCSE for employment in my opinion, as people need to write, speak, read, etc... No matter what job you do, you will need english which you have.

For a car boot sale, I'm not sure if you need maths. If the job needs maths, it should be simple, as you just need to know your 4 operations (i.e. add, subtract, divide, multiply). As kelly said, the key skills qualification could be used, just say to them it's the equivalent to a GCSE qualification (i.e. level 2).

Latest

Trending

Trending