Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with buying cell phones for the young these days? Do you agree that it should be allowed in schools, even all those camera phones and stuff?

There's a lot of things to take into consideration, with the rare development of tumors and whatever, Radio Frequency, some phones with high amounts.

- Dexnell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexnell)
    Do you agree with buying cell phones for the young these days? Do you agree that it should be allowed in schools, even all those camera phones and stuff?

There's a lot of things to take into consideration, with the rare development of tumors and whatever, Radio Frequency, some phones with high amounts.

- Dexnell
    I think that young people should be kept away from mobiles as it encourages them to communicate through texting or phoning, rather than speaking to people. When speaking to people, you learn to understand emotion and body language, and I believe these are important factors in a child's 'education'.

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't live without my phone. i believe all kids should have phones because then their parents can contact them at any time and ensure they are safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    i couldn't live without my phone. i believe all kids should have phones because then their parents can contact them at any time and ensure they are safe.
    Hmm I didn't consider that.

ReputationRep:

- Dexnell
    The parents of the individual children would best be able to assess the pros and cons for their own progeny. For responsible children, it can be a great benefit--helping the parents rest a bit easier when their children are out of sight. If the children happen to be the type who would treat the phone as a toy and use it irresponsibly, then the parents should be authoritarian enough to take it away. Though, I see no place for the phones to be in use at school--I don't think they should be forbidden, because there can be a benefit to having them around in emergencies. Children who would take them out in class, or leave them turned on during class, should face some sort of disciplinary action.

ReputationRep:
    I think we have to wait for the health risks to be properly assessed before that really becomes a consideration. Most of us use mobile phones nowadays so it would be a bit hippocritical to ban young people from using them. Of course they shouldn't use them in class, just like there are places where adults shouldn't use them. Also kids with phones can be a target for crime - so it is definately up to parents to encourage responsible usage.

What I do think is a bad idea is contract phones for under-18's, especially with ripp-off merchants like jamster ready to take advantage.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm just wondering what age group of children you think should or shouldn't have a phone. Is there a minimum age for which you think it's OK?

Personally I think that under about 11 (secondary school age) children absolutly don't need a phone and so shouldn't be given them before that age. I believe that a child under that shouldn't be in any position to need to contact their parents or anyone where either there parents aren't near by or else they aren't with an adult who has a phone or a house/building with a phone.

There are also the potential dangers of phones which, even if it's not much to worry about for adults maybe a lot more servere for developing children. Certainly under 11 you are way too under developed for the potential risks.

Maybe even over 11 is too great a risk too. But then it should eb upto parents to decide if their child takes the risk.

So yep, certainly not before 11 should a child have a mobile and then care should be taken to use sparingly and certainly not in places like schools.

ReputationRep:
    You have to take into consideration: Camera phones. Some students may take it to their responsibility to try and take a shot at one of their teachers.
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind children using cell phones in schools, but they shouldn't be given the technology foolhardy. They need to be educated on how to not just to use it but how to use it. Then basically we'll see what happens from there.

ReputationRep:
    I would definatly ban camera phones from schools because of happy slapping.

(Original post by LC01)
    I would definatly ban camera phones from schools because of happy slapping.
    Yeah, and I'd ban kitchen knives because of stabbings. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

- Dexnell
    I don't want to say that cell phones are a necessity in this day and age, but they are definitely a significant convenience...If nothing else, but to allow families to communicate more easily.
    I have a cell phone as well do my younger sister and brother...even my youngest sister who's only 8 :eek:-and while I'm sure that sounds over the top, she goes to a private school and usually goes over a friend's house after school. It's the only way my mother can ever be sure where exactly she is.

Camera phones are...questionable, legally speaking. Teachers were very uncomfortable with them around my school and so they were banned. I completely condone the reasoning behind that.

About the health risks: there are physical risks everywhere and I'm sure there are other things that are more harmful to youth that we need to be more concerned with.

ReputationRep:
    Camera are a risks, with children trying to take shots of their teachers.

Don't you also think that Cell Phones can be a distraction, Fom my ecperiences I know a lot of people, who generally sms text each other during classes, hide the cell under their desks or shirt and text back and forth. Quite the distraction.

Happy Slap TV - isn't that illegal content to show online. I don't agree with them, Most of them use their phones. So I guess it could a peter pay for paul and paul for all kind of thing.

- Dexnell

ReputationRep:
    i needed my phone when i was in secondary school!!!

not to conntact friends well... cause i was with them in school... obviously.

but if the bus's decided not to run i could call my mum right away to come and collect me
    rather than have her sitting around worrying like hell if i was killed or something.

i bought my 1st phone my self from money i earnt from car washing when i was 12ish

Happy slapping just makes me sick to be quite honest. and the filming of crimes was done before the release of camera phones. its just now there not planned as much. there more random really.

and what would i kid in primary school have to do with a mobile usualy in early years of primary school your still being picked up or walking home on a route you know that isn't really far. and parents are alot more paranoid when there kids are younger about them getting lost.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.