Turn on thread page Beta

female circumcision watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hate_xams)
    There was a thing on tv about this once, i watched about 5 mins and then had to turn over. Was about cultures in africa doing it, sounded like they were killing the poor girl.
    Often it does. The bloodloss if they slip and hit one of the arteries can be easily enough to kill a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    aren't they the same thing?
    :ditto: lol

ReputationRep:
    Well correct me if im wrong, female circumcision happens in Africa i think, and what they do is cut off the two lips on ither side, dont know why they do it but its something to do with reducing the sexual pleasures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geeeza)
    Well correct me if im wrong, female circumcision happens in Africa i think, and what they do is cut off the two lips on ither side, dont know why they do it but its something to do with reducing the sexual pleasures.
    Yes it does happen in some parts of Africa. What is actually done differs a lot. Sometimes the whole labia and clitoris is removed and the vagina is sewn up until the woman is married when a it is undone a bit. Other times less is removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    aren't they the same thing?
    No. The connotations of the two phrases are very different.

ReputationRep:
    So why wouldnt a male lose sexual pleasure surely he'd lose it a bit though it does no harm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    So why wouldnt a male lose sexual pleasure surely he'd lose it a bit though it does no harm
    Do you know what is being discussed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Do you know what is being discussed?
    kinda? i cant be bothered reading the thread lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    kinda? i cant be bothered reading the thread lol
    Haha, ok just go up to post #17

ReputationRep:
    i would really not like to have any sexual pleasures of mine reduced. i think everyone will agree with that sentiment??

ReputationRep:
    It's not the loss of sexual pleasure that's the huge issue for me, it's the huge amount of completely unnecessary pain and danger they have to go through. Often these don't heal properly so they get massive keloid scars forming and can't walk properly. Also, if they have the whole infibulation thing done, in some cultures it is common practice for the husband to "open up" his new wife with a KNIFE on the wedding night. It's completely and utterly barbaric - education and altering social attitudes in places where this still happens is the only way to stop this.

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely disgusting and degrading to women.
    Even the women who have had it done would not be in favour of it.
    That quote made about the razor blade, tin lid etc ------ :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Watched a programme on it once. It's absolutely disgusting, not just the procedure but the mentality behind it, totally sick and wrong and...it actually upsets me to think what some women have to go through .

I know it's a cultural thing but its completely unjustifiable and awareness should be raised. Does anyone know of any organisation that is trying to do something about it?

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    Its disgusting, dont u think?
    Yup its totally indefensible. As is male circumcision.

ReputationRep:
    Cant they reopen it afterward or something, so they have their sexual pleasure back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Yup its totally indefensible. As is male circumcision.
    Woah hang on, they're totally different! Male circumcision is pretty defensible when it's used to stop more long term pain or infection.

(Original post by Tindo)
    Cant they reopen it afterward or something, so they have their sexual pleasure back?
    Yeah, with some extreme pain, but the clitoris is gone, hence no pleasure.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    its foul, and dangerous and there really is no need for it. i understand that is part of someones culture, but its still wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    Woah hang on, they're totally different!
    I said otherwise? What is unnacceptable is the disfigurement of a child without its consent.
    Male circumcision is pretty defensible when it's used to stop more long term pain or infection.
    Uhhuh. Either type of circumcision is acceptable when its the choice of the person involved to undergo it.
    Yeah, with some extreme pain, but the clitoris is gone, hence no pleasure.
    Well not 'no pleasure' just very little pleasure - unless you happen to suffer the most grotesque form of female circumcision whereby not only is the clitoris removed but the labia/vulva etc are actually scraped away and then what is left is sewn shut. An utterly disgusting tradition.

ReputationRep:
    That is utterly terrible.

and people say women in islam are being opressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    True, Only in africa.. I asked this girl about her experience lol.. she said that "i was a kid, and i didnt know that what they were doing with me.. i wasnt able to walk properly for a week.. and while we have sex, its a disaster, it so painful, we do not feel the sexual pleasure, they turn us to a child producing machine"
    omg poor chick........ouch.......... its uncalled for poor hunny ......someone should tell them its there for a reason :p: lol!!!! xoxo

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.