Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok...

I've just been invited to go on a beach holiday in early July.

My new passport arrived yesterday morning, so I can go ahead and book my flights.

The only thing is, I'd love to have a more toned stomach before I bare all on the beach. I'm 5'6 and 8 st 10, so I don't really need to lose weight, but my tummy (although not big) is not especially toned.

What can I do to see results in 3 weeks? I've got the commitment when I really have something to work for, but I didn't think I was going on holiday this year so I wasn't too bothered.

Any tips would be great.

ReputationRep:
    crunches (adding twists) leg raises. v-ups (lay straight on your back, lift your legs 2" off the floor, then start moving your upper and lower body into a v shape, holdit, go back down, dont let your legs touch the floor.. and so on.) and then run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Ok...

I've just been invited to go on a beach holiday in early July.

My new passport arrived yesterday morning, so I can go ahead and book my flights.

The only thing is, I'd love to have a more toned stomach before I bare all on the beach. I'm 5'6 and 8 st 10, so I don't really need to lose weight, but my tummy (although not big) is not especially toned.

What can I do to see results in 3 weeks? I've got the commitment when I really have something to work for, but I didn't think I was going on holiday this year so I wasn't too bothered.

Any tips would be great.
    sit ups and push ups... loads of them. time yourself and just do as many as you can, but then push yourself to do like 10 more than you really can. Make it a daily routine

ReputationRep:
    I have the opposite problem.... my tummy muscles are strong but there's a small layer of flab above it which I really need to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I have the opposite problem.... my tummy muscles are strong but there's a small layer of flab above it which I really need to lose.
    calorie deficit.

run.

ReputationRep:
    It's just sit-ups after sit-ups after sit-ups for you hun!

Do 5 tonight, tomorrow do 10, the next day 15... and so on

Take a break, do 5 more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I have the same thing. It's just a question of not doing enough aerobic exercise and eating a little too much. When I stopped doing athletics I got that, though it's starting to shift now

ReputationRep:
    Yeah blatantly sit ups, I've been doing them for a while and have a wonderful flat stomach, even though I'm 5'5 and weigh over 9 stone, I have a flatter stomach than a friend who is the same height and under 8 stone

ReputationRep:
    No point doing stupid number of sit-ups everyday, like any other muscle they need time to recover if exercising them is to have any positive effect.

Do 3 sets of 12 good, slow sit-ups every other day, maybe lose 2 pounds and run/swim 3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to build muscle, then yes, fewer reps and time to recover is needed. However if you want to tone, but not build muscle (as most girls do), then you need more reps and don't need so much recovery time. Every day would be fine.

And Katie *really* doesn't need to lose any weight.

ReputationRep:
    From what i've read it is actually ok to work the abs out every day, as they dont need as much time to recover, hence the different (more like a burning) sensation when you work your abs

ReputationRep:
    situps wont make fat disappear, they will either tone/build muscle underneath the fat.

ab exercises + cardio + diet is what you need

ReputationRep:
    However if you want to tone, but not build muscle (as most girls do)
    Could you tell me what you think the difference is between toning and building muscle?

ReputationRep:
    Building muscle is about size and power. Toning about about shape and efficiency. A toned stomach is one that's flat and in good shape, with some definition. A muscular stomach is a 6 pack. Most girls want a toned stomach without getting a 6 pack.

ReputationRep:
    To get a toned stomach you need to build muscle, just not to a great extent. And I don't think she's in any danger of developing a six pack without trying to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and yes, but there's also no need to rest to let the muscle grow overtly if you're just trying to tone.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.