Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if any of you know who exactly is elligible to have a student bank account - I tried looking around the bank's websites but they just confused me and i couldn't find what I wanted.

I'm an EU student, so not elligible for a student loan ( ), but can I still get a student bank account? Because they sound like they have great offers and the interest free overdraft also sounds very good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    Hi, I was just wondering if any of you know who exactly is elligible to have a student bank account - I tried looking around the bank's websites but they just confused me and i couldn't find what I wanted.

I'm an EU student, so not elligible for a student loan ( ), but can I still get a student bank account? Because they sound like they have great offers and the interest free overdraft also sounds very good...
    Yes you can get a student bank account, although terms are somewhat different for students who have just entered the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Yes you can get a student bank account, although terms are somewhat different for students who have just entered the country.
    ah cool, thanks! I was just worried I might not even be able to get that... maybe i'm worrying too much . They come and try to get you to sign up at fresher's fair, don't they? So I can ask about the terms then, I'm sure I can survive for the first few days without a UK bank account, since I just got a new ec card that works in the whole of Europe :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I did hear that as an EU student, one is not entitled to the overdraft benefit, though. You ought to check with current international students, in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jandarini)
    I did hear that as an EU student, one is not entitled to the overdraft benefit, though. You ought to check with current international students, in my opinion!
    Depends which bank and how long you have been in the country. Understandably banks are somewhat relucant to dish out interest free overdrafts to people who have just flown in!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm is it easy to change to a student one even if u've put your normal one on the student loan form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    hmmm is it easy to change to a student one even if u've put your normal one on the student loan form?
    well, you can't have a student bank account yet, so what else could you have put down? I'm sure it's no problem to just transfer the money from one bank account to another once you've got it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which bank and how long you have been in the country. Understandably banks are somewhat relucant to dish out interest free overdrafts to people who have just flown in!
    I realise this, of course! I do have a British passport and a double nationality though - do you think they might be a little more lenient in my case, then?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.... ok. I'll only by arriving in the country probably the day I move into halls. But well - maybe you can just talk to the bank and convince them to give you the overdraft? Convince them to trust you? Like: "My parents have had a NatWest bank account for the last 20 years... " that sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jandarini)
    I realise this, of course! I do have a British passport and a double nationality though - do you think they might be a little more lenient in my case, then?
    Yeah, I've got a British passport too, but I guess 'rules will be rules' knowing banks and their bureaucracy :rolleyes: :mad: .

ReputationRep:
    Someone I lived with a few years ago was from Japan and she had a lot of trouble getting a bank account in the UK - couldn't get a student account and had to settle for a Lloyds TSB international account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Someone I lived with a few years ago was from Japan and she had a lot of trouble getting a bank account in the UK - couldn't get a student account and had to settle for a Lloyds TSB international account.
    :s: ...yeah, but I'm classed as EU student and I have a British passport... I hope I don't have any problems

ReputationRep:
    Only way of knowing is to contact a bank and ask? Have a look on their websites and see what they ask people to bring when opening an account, and if you can supply those things, you shouldn't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    EU students are not treated as harshly as other foreign students as you have a right to live and work here regardless of your status as a student.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You can either do what Adarah said and transfer the money or, when you open your student bank account, you can notify the SLC of your new bank account details and get them to put the money in there instead. When I first applied, I actually left the bank details section blank until I'd opened my account! It wasn't a problem though and the money made it there just fine.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    EU students are not treated as harshly as other foreign students as you have a right to live and work here regardless of your status as a student.
    glad to hear that :cool: - would be harsh if they were!

ReputationRep:
    Its not a problem - when you get your results and the letter from UCAS that says you've officially been accepted to your uni, you can open a student bank account (best to do it before you start cos the queues are huge in freshers week!). Everything the SLC sends you from now on will likely have a change of bank account details form included with it, all you have to do is send one back to them when you have your student account with the new details and provided its quite a bit before you start uni, you should be able to have your loan in your new bank account.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.