A2 - Edexcel Design Paper 6 - Tips Watch

This discussion is closed.
jbcubed3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey guys/gals,

In design recently we were given a quick talk on what to do for the design paper 6, I've sumarised it into notes that I could take into the exam (I presume we can take anything!) and would like to share it with you - a lot of typing ahead!

Hopefully this'll come in handy, if it does you know what to do

a) Analyse the design problem and develop a product design specification.

1) Analyse the design problem (6)
:: Develop a list/brainstorm/spider diagram analysing the design problem using the headings included on the paper. These vary, but should usually be:

• Purpose, function, aesthetics.
What does the product do, it's main and sub functions.
  • Market and user requirements.
Target Audience, styles and what specific qualities a user would need.
  • Performance requirements of product/materials/components/systems.
What aspects of various materials and components would be needed - strength, flexibility, durability, weight etc.
  • Process, technology and scale of production.
Different processes that could possibly be used - offset, injection moulding, etc. scales of production suitable for the product
  • Quality Control
Measures taken to ensure quality, etc - TQM, Kitemark, etc
  • Legal Requirements and external standards
Adhering to various safety/performance standards.
  • Cultural, social, moral and environmental issues.
Cultural/Social: Ensuring design doesn't exclude race, gender, other age groups etc.

Moral: Use of resources/materials, correct treating of workforce used to produce product.

Environmental: Ensuring product doesn't harm environment, correct use of raw materials, easy disposal, recycling/reusing etc.
:: Prepare brainstorm beforehand, apparently we can take this into the exam.
:: Brainstorm/list should cover the points above, but simply some areas - so just use "Production" for the 4th point, "Requirements/Standards" for the last point etc.
:: List possible materials/processes also.
:: Write a preparatory design brief if possible.

"Design and manufacture ___________ for x age group bla bla"

2) Identify constrains and attributes to develop your product design specification. (9)
:: Develop a consise, simple specification.
:: Use the same/similar headings from your analysis of design problem.
:: Include at least two points for each heading for the full 9 marks.
:: Remember to justify each and every point, why should it do this, why should it be done in this way.

Suggested time for section: 30 mins
If everything is prepared beforehand, can cut this time down to use in other sections.

b) Generate and Evaluate a range of design ideas.

Generate a range of design ideas. (15)
:: Look back at the spec and design brief.
:: Draw and use brief but concise annotation.
:: Make sure each idea is VERY different from the next. If not, marks won't be awarded for that idea (possible loss of 5 marks).

:: Examiners are apparently looking for three different comments:
- What is it - what does the design do etc - function, purpose, aesthetics
- Relevant Materials - What's it made from, other materials it could be made from.
- Relevant Processes - What processes can be used in conjunction with material to make the product from.

:: Colour code these points to make it easier for the examiner to mark - easier to mark, more chance of a good mark
:: A minimum of the 3 designs are needed to get the full 15 marks.
:: Apparently 3 marks are also awarded for quality of drawing, it's advised not to spend so much time on the drawing but to have clarity, use of colour and just making it easy to understand.

:: Possibly indicate desired features for idea to develop.

Suggested Time for Section: 30 minutes
I'd spend a lot longer here, probably cutting time from the first section and trying for about 45 minutes to get a good sheet of ideas.

c) Develop, describe and justify a final solution, identifying appropriate materials and components.

1) Develop a final solution. (8)

This section is a bit dodgy, but this is apparrently how to get the 8 marks:

- Drawing(s): 2 marks
- Idea "works" - 2 marks
- References to testing/using materials - 2 marks
- References to processes - 2 marks

Marks also awarded for: Manufacture scales, labels to drawing(s).
Problem is with graphics (which is what I'm doing), how to get a point of sale "working" and get those marks.

:: Drawings should include exploded views, attention to design, and MUST show a development from an initial idea or two.
:: Justify annotation, but leave majority for the final solution area.

:: Make sure design is fairly complex so there's enough to cover in the later sections.
:: GIVE DESIGN A FAULT! Needed for evaluation.

2) Describe and justify your final solution, referring to:
  • Function
  • Appearance
  • Performance
  • Materials
  • Components/Systems
  • Processes
  • Technological Features
:: Use all subheadings for full marks, or at least 5 out of the possible 7. For graphics Technological features could be a bit difficult (doh!)
:: 2 points for each, fully justified.
:: Ensure everything is justified and clear for the examiner to read.

"The design is ______________, to allow for ______________________!"
etc.

Could possibly be reduced to about 20 if development drawings are rushed a little and a generic list of justifications are prepared beforehand.

d) Represent and illustrate your final solution using:

• Clear construction/making details (8)
  • Dimensions/sizes (4)
  • Details and quantity of materials/components (4)
  • Clear and appropriate communication techniques (4)
:: Carries the most marks!
:: Either do an isometric or 3rd angle orthographic if time permits!
:: Include all dimensions as numbers, easier to just leave it as numbers and make sure "All measurements in mm" is present. Apparently 7 different measurements are needed to get all the 4 marks.
:: Include details on assembly/making - processes, at least 4 different ones: prep, manufacture, assembly, finishes.
:: Probably best to do a single ortographic, including all measurements. On the side include how certain features are made/constructed.
:: Include also a minimum of 4 different quanities of materials.

Remember to include:

if you're doing othographic projection.

Suggested Time for Section: 40 minutes
It just can't be done in 40 minutes! This is the longest section and the one that carries a lot of the marks. Try for around 50 minutes probs.

e) Draw up a production plan. (15)
  • Assembly Processes/Unit Operations
  • Sequence of assembly/Work order
  • Quality Checks
:: Quite a straightforward section, can be done beforehand. Prepare a series of flowcharts beforehand which can be copied up during the exam.
:: Include Tolerances and standards.
:: 5 marks - Quality Control
:: 5 marks - Processes (making)
:: 5 marks - Processes (assembly/finish)

2 or so fully annotated flowcharts should be fine for this - producing the model and graphics/accessories.

Drawing the boxes and such take too long - try to sketch the boxes and circles. As long as they're clear, should be okay. I know it'll take me ages to do this!

f) Evaluation of Final Solution (15)

:: Take each spec point and justify and explain how your design does/doesn't meet.
:: Draw modification sketches, how to solve future problems.
:: Make sure design has a problem that can be fixed for full marks.

Can possible be prepared beforehand, make a list of generic points that can be altered/modified.

Suggested Time for Section: 20 minutes
Possibly be done, but needs a lot of writing and drawing.

There we go
N1GE
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
cheers m8! really helpfull
Im stuck on designing some pre-prepared point of sales displays to bring into the exam, any help would be most appreciated.....
jbcubed3
Rep:
?
Same here, bit difficult as we can't really tell what the theme's gonna be.

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...hase_Displays/

A list of sites with good existing POS displays which you could probs print off and use as a guide in the exam maybe. Guess it's gonna be a guessing game on what theme'll come up.

What I've done is printed any image that could relate which I could use - travel, education, games, music, sports, cosmetics etc.
N1GE
Report 13 years ago
cheers, this exam is gonna be a pain in the neck I reckon
Savage Noodles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its the EASIEST module according to our teachers, its bloody open book... you can take in the flippin text book!!!
N1GE
Report 13 years ago
yer but u still have 2 design a whole project virtually in 3 hours!!!
does anyone ese have any other relevant information? It would be most appreciated!
jbcubed3
Rep:
?
It probably sounds like the easiest module, but doing the work in that time is difficult!

Having 30 mins to draw out, annotate ideas etc, for virtually every section is tough - though anyone seen a sample "good" paper from Edexcel, the one we saw was pretty funny. The spec was barely justified, really simple annotation like - "this is a flap" and so on... he lost 1 mark overall!

Not sure where you can get more info - a lot of it's in the textbook, which I assume you can take in. Though, to save time, I'd summarise key things that you'll need in the exam into stuff you can draw/write out.

What I've done is to get common processes like lithography, flexography, screen printing, injection moulding etc, and drawn these out by hand into flow charts that can be adapted. Also summarised these processes and written out the advantages/disadv of materials etc. Draw out a brainstorm also, should help a lot when trying to save time for the important areas - idea, dev, final design and evaluation.
NSPROAT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is anyone doing resistant materials technology? That's the one I'm doing, the one about transporting art materials, got a few ideas and done a fair amount of research so far.
surprisecamel
Report 13 years ago
Jbcubed3, your a star. I was really worried about what hoops we had to jump through for each section. Im doing RM, designing a portable easel, but im assuming all the same things apply?

My DT teacher told us we couldn't take our textbooks into the exam, but could take whatever research we wanted. I cant see them checking but is this a fact? The Section6 stuff at the back is quite useful.
jbcubed3
Rep:
?
No probs surprisecamel,

I presume the same thing applies yep - for Edexcel anyway - he was covering an RM paper that's essentially the same layout as the graphics. About the textbook - I have no idea! They probably won't check, but it would be a bit dodgy if an edexcel moderator walked in.. uh oh! I may photocopy some of the textbook and take it in, it is research afterall!
soph2004
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my teacher says we are allowed to take in the book but we need to be sorted we havnt got time going throught the book

and jbcubed3 reply to the PM i sent you (ok u have)

im a bit worried just need to get things sorted now and well just hope its an easy theme

sophie
Savage Noodles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ive just gone through the book and post-it-noted it to DEATH so If I suddenly need to waffle about injection moulding or something specific I know where it is
soph2004
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yer thats wot i have done for the some of it not all yet
but in the edexc ell book there is stuff about pos on different pages so thats god it uses it as an example wen going on about specs could be useful

sophie
NSPROAT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by soph2004)
my teacher says we are allowed to take in the book but we need to be sorted we havnt got time going throught the book

and jbcubed3 reply to the PM i sent you (ok u have)

im a bit worried just need to get things sorted now and well just hope its an easy theme

sophie
whatcha mean u hope its an easy theme? we know what the theme is, carrying art materials (if ur doin the RM paper). Please tell me u have the prerelease material!?
soph2004
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NSPROAT)
whatcha mean u hope its an easy theme? we know what the theme is, carrying art materials (if ur doin the RM paper). Please tell me u have the prerelease material!?
im doing graphics its about point of sales displays so it could be for anything
surprisecamel
Report 13 years ago
My revision for the RM exam consists mostly of a set of bullet points of the hoops to jump through for each section, a bit of info about hinges printed off, and a fair few designs doodled down. Ive also got a few generic specifications which should be easy to adapt for the question.

In terms of actual designs for the art boxy thing, does anyone have any ideas for the "legs" of it? All my designs for legs are pretty much like the french easels on dickblick.com.

With the research criteria so focused, i cant see how the actual exam question can affect your pre-exam designs deeply, short of them asking you to design it specifically for a type of terrain or weather conditions.
NSPROAT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah i used dickblick.com for a lot of research. I'm thinking some folding/telescopic legs or something probably. The stuff about different types of levers, hinges and locks seems a bit vague, not sure what sort of research to do for that apart from what materials they're made out of, I know the basic types of hinges etc.
jbcubed3
Rep:
?
Woa, you guys are lucky. The Graphics people only got "point of sale", i.e. the product type - no themes or age groups or anything.
chelsKi_BLUE
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing the graphics paper on tuesday, could anyone help me with their brainstorm, ive tried doing one but I find it very hard with such an open topic put in front of me.

Also Ive been told by my teacher that I can take ANY paper research I have but I CANNOT take in the textbook, is this true or have I been told wrong information?
jbcubed3
Rep:
?
I'm not sure about that - different schools maybe have different policies from reading this thread, I'm not sure. I've got all the key processes written down.

Brainstrom is a dodgy - you can't really do it for graphics until you find the theme. Use the headers in my post above as sub sections to your brainstorm or make a list. To get full marks for analysis you need to cover virutally all the points on the paper.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads