Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on revising in hot weather, and when hayfever strikes! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 exams next week, my last 3 GCSEs. French reading on Monday isn't that bad, but History Paper 2 on Tuesday and Sociology on Wednesday (80% exam!) I really need to revise for. However, with the baking hot weather, and my worst hayfever this year, I can't concentrate, not even for 1/2 an hour. The thing is I have to revise, but when I am feeling so rubbish, it is not being productive. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You should be drinking water constantly anyway - make sure you don't get dehydrated. I, however, don't have hayfever, so I can't comment.

Perhaps sit in a room with a fan???

ReputationRep:
    I say take a break and chill out for a bit. Listen to music, write something, read something, do some art...whatever floats your boats and gets you relaxed. Then see how you feel for some revision. It sounds silly, but try it because it's no good trying to concentrate when you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickiM)
    I have 3 exams next week, my last 3 GCSEs. French reading on Monday isn't that bad, but History Paper 2 on Tuesday and Sociology on Wednesday (80% exam!) I really need to revise for. However, with the baking hot weather, and my worst hayfever this year, I can't concentrate, not even for 1/2 an hour. The thing is I have to revise, but when I am feeling so rubbish, it is not being productive. Any ideas?
    I feel for you.

This is the first year I've had hayfever (never had it before, first year it comes up happens to be GCSE year, great eh?)

Currently I'm sitting in my room with windows open with blinds part way down and a fan blowing cool air over me. The fan seems to help quite a lot.

Hayfever sucks, doesn't it? I've tried taking antihistamine tablets, but they don't seem to help much.

ReputationRep:
    i have hayfever too. itsvery hot at current. so i bought some baggy mens tshirts.

my nose currently itches so i shall stop typing now and itch.

ReputationRep:
    Also, i keep sneezing in exams. i have a loud sneeze. its terribly embarrassing when everyone turns round as the loud sneeze echos and youve just snotted all over your work.

theres not one exam i havent sneezed in. i ALWAYS sneeze in ym exams. whether theyre mocks in winter and i have a cold or in summer and i have hayfever.

as for some advice: when you get irritated, wash your face with cold water, and drink PLENTY of fluids (trust me, my mum dad and sister are doctors). while youre at the sink, it sometimes helps to clear your nose while you're there.

lean your head over the sink and blow your nose one nostril at a time (squeeze one side of your nose to block one of your nostrils with your hand when youre blowing) and do that under the water. Blow each side o your nose as hard as you can untill your nose is clear. The snot will go into your hand which is a bit icky, but thats why the water is there, so you can be clean! So wash your face again. Anyway, that should clear your nose for a while and repeat when your nose gets filled up again. lol. Go to bed early at night, and drink honney lemon.

ReputationRep:
    Revise in a bath full of ice!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Revise in a bath full of ice!! :p:
    you know i tried to revise in the bath yesterday. i dropped my physics book in.

oi was so annoyed. thankfully, i dont have to hand in excercise books in anymore

ReputationRep:
    LOL!!

Hopefully your book wasn't too ruined!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I guess I better start drinking more fluids.

I don't know if it's just me, but if it's been a particularly bad day and my eyes have been itching awfully, after rubbing them a lot - the next day I wake up in the morning and my eyes are almost glued shut. :eek: Like...stuck together. I can seperate them...but it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    i heard you can get something like 1 or 2% added on to ur final mark in an exam if u have hayfever, but u have 2 have a doctor's letter that sent 2 the exam board. I know aqa does this.

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive been revising all day outside today and have come in with my arms and legs a lovely shade of scarlett!! Only can in to get some water now i think ill stay in. Hope it doesnt hurt too much tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    i heard you can get something like 1 or 2% added on to ur final mark in an exam if u have hayfever, but u have 2 have a doctor's letter that sent 2 the exam board. I know aqa does this.

I should give it a try, i am predicted 32.33% for physics!

thanks

sainzay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't expect so many in a short space of time.
    I think I am dehydrated, haven't drunk much today at all. I try to avoid fans as when I shut the window, they trap all the pollen in and then blow it around.

(Original post by jamie.)
    the next day I wake up in the morning and my eyes are almost glued shut. Like...stuck together. I can seperate them...but it hurts.
    Yes, this happens to me too. It happened last night, actually last night I didn't sleep as I know how it hurts to seperate them.

I bathe my eyes a lot and use drops, but this year antihistamines don't seem to be working, and I am not in the mood to revise.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but my hayfever hasnt hit yet, but yes it is bloody hot, try not to revise later on in the evening, as thats when the pollen settles and you'll be more susceptible for breathing it in.

ReputationRep:
    So what time would you recommend? I can't revise at a good time at all, morning - pollen rises, midday - too hot, evening - pollen settles *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    So what time would you recommend? I can't revise at a good time at all, morning - pollen rises, midday - too hot, evening - pollen settles *sighs*
    lol ummmm well in my room i have a huge fan next to my desk, and a fridge full of ice cold drinks so i just do it in the day. Find ways of cooling yourself down, if oyu have a fan, place on desk, turn it on.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, we have a fan somewhere. Pity the fridge is downstairs though!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, we have a fan somewhere. Pity the fridge is downstairs though!!
    Yeah fish out the fan, its really nice having it blowing gently on your face.

ReputationRep:
    I have Hayfever and when my hayfever is really bad (sneezing a lot) I have to take my 'nasal' spray.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.