Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erm- if i could somehow steal the declaration of independence, does that mean the UK would rightfully own the USA again? Because legally the americans would not have the document that we signed to declare themselves indepedent from us?

Not that i would anyway............ :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    youd prolly be shot trying to steal it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    youd prolly be shot trying to steal it..
    yes but what if i didnt and it was destroyed? Surely the USA would not have proof that they are independent from Britain........... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    yes but what if i didnt and it was destroyed? Surely the USA would not have proof that they are independent from Britain........... :cool:
    The proof would be in common law. As long as everyone believes it is, it is. Like how the national flag in this country is so because people believe it is, and how there isn't actually anything declaring Christmas Day to be a bank holiday (it's true, the council won't give free parking on it because it's a "Common law holiday" rather than a "Bank holiday"). Not every country has to have a document demonstrating its independence from everywhere else...

I don't think they'd be that kind if we occupied America and tried to take control, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    The proof would be in common law. As long as everyone believes it is, it is. Like how the national flag in this country is so because people believe it is, and how there isn't actually anything declaring Christmas Day to be a bank holiday (it's true, the council won't give free parking on it because it's a "Common law holiday" rather than a "Bank holiday"). Not every country has to have a document demonstrating its independence from everywhere else...

I don't think they'd be that kind if we occupied America and tried to take control, eh?
    oooooh i dont know about that! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    Erm- if i could somehow steal the declaration of independence, does that mean the UK would rightfully own the USA again? Because legally the americans would not have the document that we signed to declare themselves indepedent from us?

Not that i would anyway............ :rolleyes:

That we signed? It was a declaration of independence, not a petition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)

They so silly, neh? You'd think they'd WANT to be English! I mean, who wouldn't???

ReputationRep:
    The proof would be the friggin fact that everyone knows Britain gave the American colonies indepedence. This thread is probably one of the most pointless I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    well aren't most threads on general chat pointless? And anyway, we only gave em independence because it was t o o m u c h b o t h e r l o o k i n a f t e r e m w h i l e w e c o u l d b e a t h o m e ...

Hé hé

ReputationRep:
    Has someone been watching National Treasure? Saw it the other day-the most blatant patriotic 'Fight-for-the-American-dream', anti-british load of crap i've ever seen. It angered me, and I'm not the slightest bit patriotic (unless its rugby).
    Ooh, sorry, slight tangent there me thinks.....

ReputationRep:
    oh most american films are patriotic. i mean, take Air Force One for example, with their dweebish president. So naf.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and all the kiddies' reading books, where a kid is a huge hero cause they dashed into burning buildings to rescue the WONDERFUL american flag? DOH

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.