Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    It is so sad that people believe in the existence of such things. They are such a rude opposition to reason.
    Do you believe that we are the only life form in the universe?

ReputationRep:
    It is so sad that people believe in the existence of such things. They are such a rude opposition to reason.
    It's not very reasonable to dismiss the existence of "such things" without conclusive evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    It's not very reasonable to dismiss the existence of "such things" without conclusive evidence.
    The whole point is that they shouldn't be ACCEPTED without conclusive evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    that's soo not true

ReputationRep:
    No, not necessarily. I believe that other human beings are the only other accessible conscious life forms. But this isn't even about that - this is about something that transcends this universe.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a ghost when I was 12 in an old house in France a girl in the corner of the room I ran out the room. The next day I forced myself to sleep there and this time heard some girlish laughters, i couldn't sleep for weeks it scared the life out of me.
    The owner told me a girl drowned inthe nearby river 60 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    No, not necessarily. I believe that other human beings are the only other accessible conscious life forms.
    but there's no evidence of such.. "shouldn't be ACCEPTED without conclusive evidence"

But this isn't even about that - this is about something that transcends this universe.
    i know, but aside from the difference of having life (we are the ones that define what "living" is - other 'life' forms might not meet our criteria and still be outside what we would consider ghostly), the reasoning is similar, i.e. no evidence or even concept of their make up.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point is that they shouldn't be ACCEPTED without conclusive evidence.
    Perhaps seeing one is evidence enough.

My grandfather is a very intelligent and cynical man, but after seeing what he considered a ghost, and photographing it, he feels this is evidence enough. It is difficult to get him to talk about the experience, but from what I gather, he has decent reason, and thus, I believe in ghosts. The (unpublished) photograph contains excellent evidence on the existence of ghosts, and I am yet to see a picture that is to out-do it. I am also yet to find any explanation of the phenomena.

ReputationRep:
    there probably is even a scientific way to explain ghosts.. i mean how energy can never be destroyed and all that, to be honest as a race of people our knowledge is extremely limited in the grand scale of things

ReputationRep:
    but there's no evidence of such.. "shouldn't be ACCEPTED without conclusive evidence"
    If someone is arguing that there IS something it is up to them to prove that there is. It is absurd to try and prove something ISN'T there and you just can't do it.

i know, but aside from the difference of having life (we are the ones that define what "living" is - other 'life' forms might not meet our criteria and still be outside what we would consider ghostly), the reasoning is similar, i.e. no evidence or even concept of their make up.
    Ghosts are considered to be beyond this universe. So it makes no sense to think that they are out of our world and yet involved in it too.

There are so many problems with the idea that ghosts exist. Why do some people see them and some don't, etc. They are completely against science.

Basically, no one will deny that it is at least POSSIBLE that they have been fooled. Sensory deception is much more likely than the possibility of any transcendent visitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Perhaps seeing one is evidence enough.
    Well the person who has experienced it may have a strong conviction, but to argue that them seeing it should convince OTHER people is a bit too hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    Well the person who has experienced it may have a strong conviction, but to argue that them seeing it should convince OTHER people is a bit too hopeful.
    That's not what I'm arguing. But not everyone who believes in the possibility that there are ghosts is a blithering idiot, as you would make it seem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geeeza)
    There are obvious signs and how some ghosts behave, youve got to experiance it to know the 'know how'.

Also whos got sky? Ever watched Most Haunted on Living TV?
    Is that the one with Alan Robson?

ReputationRep:
    This is starting to scare me. But isnt it widely known that Most haunted is fake? Even though ghosts might be very real. But they might not be. We have no way of proving either way right now.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Most Haunted was utter *******s to tell the truth.

ReputationRep:
    i am about to pee my pants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    http://speedcrash.blogspot.com/2005/...ccurrance.html

my weird EVP ^^ still can't explain it.. :s: ah well :rofl:
    ok Hear The Thunder i still cant hear anything whereas you guys can, ok when my windows mediaplayer loads at what 'second' does the vocie begin to talk? so i can keep my ears extra open.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i understand what you mean i wouldnt also beleive in ghosts if i had never seen one, but i see where your coming from.

but

IF YOU HAVE SEEN ONE, THEN YOU WILL TRULY BELEIVE THAT GHOSTS EXISIT, THATS THE ONLY EVIDENCE. AND WHETHER AN INDIVIDUAL WANTS TO BELEIVE IN GHOSTS OR NOT HE/SHE DOSENT NEED TO PROVE TO ANYONE ELSE, IF HE/SHE SEE'S A GHOST THEN THATS SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE FOR HIM/HERSELF TO BELEIVE IN GHOSTS. HENCE I HAVE SEEN GHOSTS AND I BELEIVE THEIR EXISITANCE..

Sorry had to get my point across in CAPS and BOLD to everyone,

ReputationRep:
    I think iv seen a ghost, but im not sure. Might have been my mind playing tricks on me. But it being a ghost seems to be th only reason i can think of. Anyway im still undecided on their exhistance.

ReputationRep:
    Ghost Story

Once upon a time in a dark forest, there was a crooked house. In the house, there was a creepy spider, and a haunted wardrobe... In the wardrobe lived the most horrific sight ever....... There lived a pair of Jeans, Called DAVID! :afraid:

Throw in a red eyed mutant carrot and the story is much better

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.