Turn on thread page Beta

The all important Kashmir Issue watch

ReputationRep:
    wat do u think whats the best sollution of the decades old Kashmir issue especially when peace process is going on b/w Pakistan N India n for the 1st time leadersof Jammu N kashmir were allowed to visit Pakistan.
    Why India has always denied the UN Resolutions when it was India that went to UN? Coz they r aware of the results
    Girls r still being raped there Young guys get lost for no reason police take anyone they want especiall young guys for investigations n they never come back who is responsible for that why international community dont take a strict stance on that why Kashmir is so neglected dispute when it comes to international community n wat role can Britain play in it?

ReputationRep:
    The reason that it's not an issue is that George Bush needs the cooperation of the Pakistanis in order to fight Al-Quaeda. He needs India for this to some extent as well, but also cannot affors to alienate Indi, fast becoming an increasingly important economic force.

Also, making the issue part of the public consciousness would in no way further the culture of fear that keeps Tony Blair and George Bush in power - so they see no reason to highlight it.

ReputationRep:
    The Indian forces should stop oppressing the muslim population. And the muslim terrorists should stop their attempts to ethnically cleanse the area. All Sikhs and Pandits should be able to return. As to independence or partition, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    The reason that it's not an issue is that George Bush needs the cooperation of the Pakistanis in order to fight Al-Quaeda. He needs India for this to some extent as well, but also cannot affors to alienate Indi, fast becoming an increasingly important economic force.

Also, making the issue part of the public consciousness would in no way further the culture of fear that keeps Tony Blair and George Bush in power - so they see no reason to highlight it.
    but its disgusting they r not ones they try to portray everyone is running after their interest no one really care about Kashmiris IRAn n iraq issue is of supreme interest to US n they trying to prove that they care abt Lebanan when it comes to Syria n Lebanan issue but when it comes to its partners whether in war agaisnt terrorism or economic, the same human rights become meaningless to them.
    Such a bias n selfish world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    The Indian forces should stop oppressing the muslim population. And the muslim terrorists should stop their attempts to ethnically cleanse the area. All Sikhs and Pandits should be able to return. As to independence or partition, I'm not sure.
    well in my views its not terrorism its the freedom struggle majority of them is fighting for their rights ya their r few ppl who r agaisnt the peace process n r killing innocent people but indian army isnt doing any good watever the kashmirishave been persecuted by indian army.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad someone has brought up this topic of discussion it is without a doubt one of the most volatile areas in the world and is one grossly in discussed on this forum.

Personally I think that partition is the only realistic route of success, possible Muslim dominated Kashmir going to Pakistan and and Jammu remaining Indian - then both nations can get on with progression.

Personally i think its such a shame that two countries so alike in terms of culture cannot establish civil relations with one another.

One of the reasons for the US lack of involvement as was said is its reliance on Pakistan for air bases into Afganistan and the fact that Osama Bin Laden is probably hiding in the North frontier province of Pakistan, so the US need pakistan if they ever want Bin laden. Furthermore it cannot risk offending Pakistan as it is an unstable islamic country in theory far more dangerous than Iran, Irac or Syria and the lebanon as it already has nuclear capabilities. If Pres. Musharaf takes to conciliatory a stance towards the US and Kashmir he risks losing out to extreme muslim groups who already hold a significant degree of power anyway. Hence the US risks further upsetting a regime which could potentially result in islamic extremists getting nuclear wepons. Pakistan also has chinese backing etc which introduces a whole new issue...

Further to this they cant upset India because of its up and coming economy and rates of growth. The US invests a huge amount in India through business and cant risk upsetting them either.

Going back to 1945 it was the British that allowed partition and so inadvertantly contributed to the problem - prehaps they could arbitrate in possible peace talks.

ReputationRep:
    well in my views its not terrorism its the freedom struggle majority of them is fighting for their rights ya their r few ppl who r agaisnt the peace process n r killing innocent people but indian army isnt doing any good watever the kashmirishave been persecuted by indian army.
    1945 the maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir (a muslim) was offered the chance to join India or pakistan ....he choose India despite a majority population of muslims. As a result Muslim Kashmiris backed by pakistan have opposed legtimate rule (india) and therefore the Indian government is treating them as rebels, at least those who resort to violence.

I would also like to point out that just because Kashmir is Muslim dominated it should not necessarily have been made part of Pakistan..i point out Bangladesh formally east pakistan and the problems caused there.

But as you say one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter youre entitled to your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's amazing that Jimmy Page could craft such a classic song on a simple chromatic scale.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment the US needs Pakistan for the Iran war. The dispatch of advanced fighter jets to Pakistan has proved this, however it has also upset relations with India. The US do not seem to be helping with the Kashmir peace talks as they are encouraging aggression due to the sale of arms to the unstable country of Pakistan.

No country can help with Kashmir issue. It is up to Pakistan and India to sort it out, yet neither country are willing to give up any of their 'claimed' land. Also if War is declared on Iran then the chances are Pakistan will be able to engage with some of its military. This will also create tension between Pakistan and India as India and Iran have been allies for centuries.

ReputationRep:
    India and Iran have been allies for centuries.
    Same with Afganistan. Though the Islamic revolution in Iran as with Afganistan all but severed relations between the two countries..India cannot endorse Islamic extremist countries when its got its own potential extremist country on its borders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    Im glad someone has brought up this topic of discussion it is without a doubt one of the most volatile areas in the world and is one grossly in discussed on this forum.

Personally I think that partition is the only realistic route of success, possible Muslim dominated Kashmir going to Pakistan and and Jammu remaining Indian - then both nations can get on with progression.

Personally i think its such a shame that two countries so alike in terms of culture cannot establish civil relations with one another.

One of the reasons for the US lack of involvement as was said is its reliance on Pakistan for air bases into Afganistan and the fact that Osama Bin Laden is probably hiding in the North frontier province of Pakistan, so the US need pakistan if they ever want Bin laden. Furthermore it cannot risk offending Pakistan as it is an unstable islamic country in theory far more dangerous than Iran, Irac or Syria and the lebanon as it already has nuclear capabilities. If Pres. Musharaf takes to conciliatory a stance towards the US and Kashmir he risks losing out to extreme muslim groups who already hold a significant degree of power anyway. Hence the US risks further upsetting a regime which could potentially result in islamic extremists getting nuclear wepons. Pakistan also has chinese backing etc which introduces a whole new issue...

Further to this they cant upset India because of its up and coming economy and rates of growth. The US invests a huge amount in India through business and cant risk upsetting them either.

Going back to 1945 it was the British that allowed partition and so inadvertantly contributed to the problem - prehaps they could arbitrate in possible peace talks.
    Pakistans Nuclear program is safe n is not in the hands of Islamic militans neither it can ever be plus they dont have the power as western media portays it. Neither Usama nor Mulla Omer is in Pakistan they r hiding somewhere in Afghanistan or wherever no one is sure but you're right america do need Pakistans support not for the reasons as u stated but its the time that has brought US to this stage there has never been as Islamic revolution is Pakistan as was in Iran but ya its a Islamic State ppl r religious but i dont know why ppl take it as extremists.
    N i think its wrong when u think US cannot risk to offend a religious state or any state they just do wat they think is right without even thinking of the results that it could destroy a nation as in the case of IRAQ.
    But why US feel Syria is a threat so as Iraq N Iran its coz of Israel why dont they think otherwise that Israel is a threat to all these nations Israel already have nuclear weapons that has never been a problem to US.
    i still believe keeping all the factors in mind there isnt anything like US cant do they r just not interested the day they will feel they will get the benefit out of it it'll be a matter of days

ReputationRep:
    India and Pakistan withdraw, draw out the borders and have an independent Kashmir.

It isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    1945 the maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir (a muslim) was offered the chance to join India or pakistan ....he choose India despite a majority population of muslims. As a result Muslim Kashmiris backed by pakistan have opposed legtimate rule (india) and therefore the Indian government is treating them as rebels, at least those who resort to violence.

I would also like to point out that just because Kashmir is Muslim dominated it should not necessarily have been made part of Pakistan..i point out Bangladesh formally east pakistan and the problems caused there.

But as you say one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter youre entitled to your opinion.
    That maharaja was not a Muslim. n there was nothing like an offer he sold kasmir to India n agaisnt the wishes of Kasmiris n then India illegally sent its army to Kashmir.
    Pakistan dont claim it to be a part of It wat they say that India should allow UN resolutions n Kashmiris r the ones to choose whether they wanna be with INdia, Pakistan or an independant state.

ReputationRep:
    Same with Afganistan. Though the Islamic revolution in Iran as with Afganistan all but severed relations between the two countries..India cannot endorse Islamic extremist countries when its got its own potential extremist country on its borders.
    But India NEEDS Iran. (yep thats right). India's growing economy has led the Indian Priminister to hold talks with Iran over a gas pipe line that will feed Indias economy.

Problems with Iran will prevent this from happening. The last thing India needs is one of its enemies supporting a war against a country that may boost Indias economy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4611209.stm (the link)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipflop2)
    At the moment the US needs Pakistan for the Iran war. The dispatch of advanced fighter jets to Pakistan has proved this, however it has also upset relations with India. The US do not seem to be helping with the Kashmir peace talks as they are encouraging aggression due to the sale of arms to the unstable country of Pakistan.

No country can help with Kashmir issue. It is up to Pakistan and India to sort it out, yet neither country are willing to give up any of their 'claimed' land. Also if War is declared on Iran then the chances are Pakistan will be able to engage with some of its military. This will also create tension between Pakistan and India as India and Iran have been allies for centuries.
    1st of all i dont think US will invade Iran in near future neither Pakistan going to support that war nor India n fighter jets were pending since 1990 n why should it upset India when its getting more advance F18s n how can u say Pakistan is unstable?
    N pakistan has offered the demilitarization but its India not backing the idea n Iran has even better relations with Pakistan than India.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistans Nuclear program is safe n is not in the hands of Islamic militans
    I never advocated religious revolution in Pakistan. At the moment this may be the case..what about if Musharaf decides to better relations with the US or India which doesnt really conform to the "US/India = Great Satan" idea does it, i think you are misunderstood as to who really holds power in Pakistan - Musharaf must appease the extremist elements of society to survive, Pakistan is on a knife edge towards Islamic revolution.

Islamic revolutions have happened in Afganistan and Iran why not Pakistan by your own admission a very religious country?

Israel why dont they think otherwise that Israel is a threat to all these nations Israel already have nuclear weapons that has never been a problem to US.
    Israels government doesnt have elements of society hell bent on destruction of the US. Furthermore it was the US that gave Israel its nuclear capabilities. Pakistan got theirs through weapons falling of the back of a chinese lorry - hardly a sound start to a nuclear programme, then stealing components for manufacture of their own bombs which they then decide to distribute to Iran/Iraq.....i believe this is why Pakistans father of the atomic weapon is languishing in some Pakistani prison.

Also with regards to Pakistan harbouring Bin Laden its more than likelt given he needs dialysis treatment which hes not going to recieve in Tora Bora. Also many of Al Quedas high command who have been captured have been so in Pakistan.

If Pakistan does have a period of islamic revolution as i think it may well do at some point then we will see things escalate to a higher plateau.

ReputationRep:
    who can u say Pakistan is unstable?
    I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janealams)
    1st of all i dont think US will invade Iran in near future neither Pakistan going to support that war nor India n fighter jets were pending since 1990 n why should it upset India when its getting more advance F18s n who can u say Pakistan is unstable?
    N pakistan has offered the demilitarization but its India not backing the idea n Iran has even better relations with Pakistan than India.
    Pakistan is run by a Military leader. It is UNSTABLE! A large majority of the citizens hate Musharaff, and eventaully the country may be taken into the hands of Islamic extremists. Those Nuclear missiles and F16's will come in handy then.

Military is a very important part of Pakistan (that's a bad thing). Also Musharaff isn't the sort of guy who sticks to his promises. For example he promised to step down as chief of the Nations military intelligence agency, but we all know that didn;t happen.

Pakistan is run by a military dictator. The chances are all those weapons being suppluied to Pakistan now by the US will be used against India. That DOES upset relations between the two countries.

ReputationRep:
    I can
    sorry that was how

ReputationRep:
    i agree with zaf, both countries should withdraw, and would... in a perfect world. but surely one country or the other would totally occupy kashmir, if the other began to withdraw? therein lies the problem, i think...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.