The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlexyWex101
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I hear you and that's basically my dilemma: on the one hand, if I can get funding this year and continue on without taking a gap year, then that's great, but realistically I think that unless my research proposal and submitted writing sample (for the unis to put me forward) are both Exceptional with a capital 'E', I think I'm a long shot to get it. Even then, as you say, they'd be no guarantees.

I feel like with a Distinction at MA under my belt next year, and probably a much stronger proposal, simply by virtue of time, I'd be a much more competitive candidate, as you say, and would feel confident that I would have a really good chance of getting the nod. However, you could also argue that applying for the PhD this year will be useful since it will give me experience of going through the process, doing interviews etc. And that could give me an edge for the reapplication... I wish there was some set of cast-iron published guidelines on these things, info about the typical AHRC winner etc.

A final thought - if or when you do choose to apply for funding, apply far and wide, to AHRC consortia across the UK - anywhere there’s a relevant supervisor. To re-emphasise, an AHRC award anywhere is worth heaps in terms of prestige, so try not to see postgrad as an Oxbridge-or-bust affair - this is not the case, and with the AHRC becoming even more of a lottery year after year it will become even more emphatically not the case down the line. The academic job market in humanities is even more of a s**tshow than the PhD funding situation in the humanities, but an essential criterion in getting a job is usually ‘a track record in attracting competitive research funding’ - by widening your net, you stand a better chance of ticking that box.

Hope all this helps.
Hey Northern Bridge people ! Does anyone know when the competition will close?

I am currently on the reserve list and my supervisor insists that I should remain hopeful but I have to accept or reject another program before the 8th of July and I don't really know who to ask!

Original post by Queermélite
Hey Northern Bridge people ! Does anyone know when the competition will close?

I am currently on the reserve list and my supervisor insists that I should remain hopeful but I have to accept or reject another program before the 8th of July and I don't really know who to ask!

Hey! I’m in the same situation. My supervisor said ‘NB is still in play’ but I think that means people can decline up until the start time, which is around September, and then someone would come off the waitlist. Which isn’t much help at all :frown: if you accept the other programme can you rescind if need be?
Original post by NaomiMadeleine
Hey! I’m in the same situation. My supervisor said ‘NB is still in play’ but I think that means people can decline up until the start time, which is around September, and then someone would come off the waitlist. Which isn’t much help at all :frown: if you accept the other programme can you rescind if need be?

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately, I have to confirm and give a deposit... It is also abroad so I would lose my right to home fees (I am an international student). It's a super tricky situation ugh!
Hello everyone, I have a case. I am an international student due to start an MSc in January 2022 and to end by December 2022. However I wish to begin another by September next year 2022 because the course runs only from September. How do I manage this. The second MSc is my dream course of study. it will be a case of my first masters running into the new masters for a lag of 3 months (September to December) please how do I manage this as an international student. Please all your inputs are welcome.
Hi everyone! Are there any other Northern Bridge people on here who have applied to Durham this year? Going slightly mad refreshing my emails and hoping I'm not the only one!
Original post by jollottie
Hi everyone! Are there any other Northern Bridge people on here who have applied to Durham this year? Going slightly mad refreshing my emails and hoping I'm not the only one!

Hi! I applied for Northern Bridge and just heard about nominations today. Good luck!
Original post by Automatic_peas
Hi! I applied for Northern Bridge and just heard about nominations today. Good luck!

Congratulations! I have also been nominated - phew! Through to the next (terrifying competitive) round. Good luck!
Does anyone know when LAHP and M4C usually notifies candidates - assuming there are different stages as well? I have offers from universities with deadlines of end of March- does that mean that the funding notifications will be before those dates?
Does anyone of you apply for a PhD in History (or other departments from the Faculty of Arts)? Do you have any information about the scholarships?
1. Chancellor's International Scholarships
2. Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities
3. CADRE scholarships (do they have this scholarship this year?)

Thank you so much!
Any AHRC CHASE applicants here? Anxiously awaiting some update from my institution (UEA) but knowing that in roughly over a month, we'll know the outcome!
Update: never mind, I got a rejection email this morning.
(edited 2 years ago)
I've just had my interview for M4C last week for a Collaborative Doctoral Award. Now we start the nervous wait until mid-April!
Reply 1712
Original post by Jerathmiel
Any AHRC CHASE applicants here? Anxiously awaiting some update from my institution (UEA) but knowing that in roughly over a month, we'll know the outcome!
Update: never mind, I got a rejection email this morning.

Hi, I was rejected on 25th of Feb. I am still waiting for LAHR and LISS DTP and also South Coust DTP.
I have heard nothing from them.
Reply 1713
Original post by culmell
Does anyone know when LAHP and M4C usually notifies candidates - assuming there are different stages as well? I have offers from universities with deadlines of end of March- does that mean that the funding notifications will be before those dates?

I know LAHP releases the results on the 30th of April. Have heard nothing about nominations.
M4C decisions will be soon, the panels meet last week and this week. I am trying not to think about it but so nervous!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kirstin_85
M4C decisions will be soon, the panels meet last week and this week. I am trying not to think about it but so nervous!

Oh wow, that's way sooner than I thought! My panel suggested that I'd hear back in mid-April. Thanks for sharing!
Could be wrong, of course, but have been told that they think we will hear late March or very early April. It's so nerve wracking, isn't it? Good luck!
Anyone SWW, I know notification of awards come out next week but hella nervous already! 😅 the website says Wed 31st March 2022 but that’s a Thursday so who knows which day 😂.
Reply 1718
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is ok to accept a studentship for now and reject it later in May, for example?
I received an offer which I have to answer to by the 4th of April.
However, I am waiting for the results of my other funding applications that will come in late April! :frown:

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by Mar91
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is ok to accept a studentship for now and reject it later in May, for example?
I received an offer which I have to answer to by the 4th of April.
However, I am waiting for the results of my other funding applications that will come in late April! :frown:

Many thanks in advance!

Some people have accepted one and then rejected later, earlier up in this thread I am pretty sure. I know someone who did it last year and it worked out. I would read the t&c that came with your offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending