Glycolysis Watch

This discussion is closed.
b_shaikha4321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Cna someone please outline te products formed at each stage of glycolysis, coz the books i have, they have different named products forming. Please let me know asap.

Thanx
Redeyejedi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you only need to know glucose ---> 2x glycerate-3-phosphate ----> 2x Pyruvate

The intermidiaries are way beyond A level or AS
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
+ 2 NADH and 2 ATP are produced per glucose in glycolysis
twilight
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Stage 1 Phosphorylation - 2ATP molecules used to add 2 phosphate groups therefore glucose(6C) is converted to hexose phosphate(6C) and then to hexose biphosphate(6C). This molecule has a lower activation engergy than glucose and therefore reacts more easily

hexose biphosphate then decomposes to 2 triose phoshate molecules(3C), each produces 1 ATP molecule and 1 reduced NAD molecule and becomes an intermediate molecule.

the two intermidiate molecules then become two pyruvate molecules and 2ATP are produced

Therefore glycolysis produces 4ATP(net gain of 2 because phosphorylation uses 2ATP) and 2 reduced NAD and 2 pyruvate.
KAYS
Report 13 years ago
right, if u want the A , then i think u should know everything thats formed during glycolysis. first the glucose is phosporylated, to make it more reative forming glucose 6 phosphate , which requires one molecule of atp. Then the glucose 6 phospahte is turned to fructose 6 phophate, then thats turned to fructose 1,6 bisphosphate. which requres a atp molecule again. then 2 molecules of glyceraaldehyde 3 phosphate is produced, this is turned to glycerate 3 phophate, whch gives off 1 molecule of atp and reduced nad. tis is then turned to pyruvate , poducing atp molecules with it.

hope this helps.
b_shaikha4321
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanx alot you guys!!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.69%
No - but I will (82)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (511)
47.67%

Watched Threads