Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm just coming to the end of my lower6 year. And I've done maths AS - modules C1, C2 and S1.
    When I was chosing my AS options last year a teacher told me i wouldnt be able to cope with further maths (she hates me mind). But then my current teacher wanted to know why the hell i didnt take it.
    Anyway, I have the option of taking an AS in further maths next year alongside my Alevel in maths.

However this would mean I will have to teach myself all of C3 and M1, alongside learning C4 and the other modules in class. People who have done maths, do you recon it would be advisable to do this.. as in teach myself these 2 modules? I was wondering how hard people recon they have been and if they are sort of suitable to teach to myself?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    If you're prepared to put in the work when teaching yourself then I see no reason why you can't get A in Maths A2 and Further Maths AS respectively.
    C3 and M1 aren't difficult modules and you'll do fine in them provided you work through a good textbook specific to your syllabus and do all the questions.
    If you do get stuck on the occasional question i'm sure people on here will be happy to point you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrolxfumes)
    Basically I'm just coming to the end of my lower6 year. And I've done maths AS - modules C1, C2 and S1.
    When I was chosing my AS options last year a teacher told me i wouldnt be able to cope with further maths (she hates me mind). But then my current teacher wanted to know why the hell i didnt take it.
    Anyway, I have the option of taking an AS in further maths next year alongside my Alevel in maths.

However this would mean I will have to teach myself all of C3 and M1, alongside learning C4 and the other modules in class. People who have done maths, do you recon it would be advisable to do this.. as in teach myself these 2 modules? I was wondering how hard people recon they have been and if they are sort of suitable to teach to myself?

cheers
    How come your wont be able to learn C3 in class?

Surely the other folk in your class must be doing C3 before C4?

C3 is harder than C2/C1/S1 but it is still fairly alright.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! This year I did 6 modules C1,C2,C3,C4,S1, and M1. I found it quite tough but I did loads of work and it was so worth it in the end. If you really enjoy maths and problems and stuff then it feels like such an achievement to do further maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabz)
    Hi! This year I did 6 modules C1,C2,C3,C4,S1, and M1. I found it quite tough but I did loads of work and it was so worth it in the end. If you really enjoy maths and problems and stuff then it feels like such an achievement to do further maths!
    Module Snap.

What are you doing next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    How come your wont be able to learn C3 in class?

Surely the other folk in your class must be doing C3 before C4?

C3 is harder than C2/C1/S1 but it is still fairly alright.
    Because basically I'll be joining a further maths class and they would have already taken C3 this year.
    I dont know which other modules ill be doing, but ill be taking 6 modules next year including C3, M1, C4 and then probably some of the FP's and stuff. not entirely sure.

ReputationRep:
    Because basically I'll be joining a further maths class and they would have already taken C3 this year.
    I dont know which other modules ill be doing, but ill be taking 6 modules next year including C3, M1, C4 and then probably some of the FP's and stuff. not entirely sure.
    I see.

I would say that it will be hard to do C4 whilst doing C3, it would be much better if you could do C3 on your own over summer or something.

This is because although C4 without C3 isn't impossible the level of maths in C4 is quite a bit higher than C2.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what i was thinking. I'll be joining the furtehr maths class next week though, while im still going to my original maths class, so ill be doing both alongside each other for the next 5 weeks or so, then i aim to basically finish c3 over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, C3 is easier than C4, and M1 has a lot less to it, but is harder than S1....it would have helped if you did physics AS level, as some kinematics comes into that.....I have taught myself S2 and M2 since January, and plan to teach myself M3 and S3 in the summer, along with M4 M5 M6 S4 next year, so overall teaching myself 8 modules! (i'm a maniac!)

And I agree with gaz, this is a great place if you were to ever get stuck with anything whilst teaching yourself, there always seems to be someone lurking around to answer any question that springs to ones mind :p:

ReputationRep:
    if i were you, id just learn C3 and M1 during the summer, that way you wont be clueless when you join the furthermaths class in sept. M1 is really easy, not a lot to learn, C3 i find tricky though, i prefer C4 to C3 myself, but if u like maths, ul be fine.

ReputationRep:

cheers
    m1 is okay if you have a good book, but u may require assistance on sum things. got no clue on c3!

ReputationRep:
    This year iv done c1, c2, c3, c4, m1, m2, s1, s2.. If you are confident with the modules you've done already (c1, c2 n s1) then im sure you'll find c3 and m1 fine. I find m1 easier than s1 (though it seems im in the minority) and c3 while tougher than the first too is still very doable. So my verdict: go for it but also remember to feel free to ask for help

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.